Statistical Analysis of Team So Far

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:25 am
joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:22 am
Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:28 pm Until Justin James stops throwing the ball out of bounds to lose us road games, I don't want him to start.

In fact, if he keeps throwing the ball out of bounds to lose us games, I don't want him in down the stretch either.

He needs to learn to protect the rock. Then he can start.

Dalton is an energy player. Energy players are more effective off the bench. You bring them in when you're team is lacking life or hustle to give the team a spark. He does it incredibly well. He's very good at coming in off the bench and getting the team going on a run. You don't do that by accident. That's a skill to be able to come in off the bench and spark runs.

It's not like our starters are digging a big hole for James and Dalton to dig out of. They're playing the game effectively too.

I could see starting Dalton, because I like the turnovers he gets: mostly aggressive in nature and not a bunch of lazy, stupid, passes.

James, until he figures out how to protect the ball in the backcourt, needs to be coming off the bench.

I like it. I think Edwards is motivating both Dalton and James to be the best versions of themselves.
Hey, someone gets it!
Lost on you two is the fact that we wouldn't even be in the game if it weren't for everything good that James does.

So you guys really think that Kelly and Lieberman are just as good as James?
Hey someone ACTUALLY gets it!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:28 pm Until Justin James stops throwing the ball out of bounds to lose us road games, I don't want him to start.

In fact, if he keeps throwing the ball out of bounds to lose us games, I don't want him in down the stretch either.

Dalton is an energy player. Energy players are more effective off the bench. You bring them in when you're team is lacking life or hustle to give the team a spark. He does it incredibly well. He's very good at coming in off the bench and getting the team going on a run. You don't do that by accident. That's a skill to be able to come in off the bench and spark runs.

It's not like our starters are digging a big hole for James and Dalton to dig out of. They're playing the game effectively too.

I could see starting Dalton, because I like the turnovers he gets: mostly aggressive in nature and not a bunch of lazy, stupid, passes.

James, until he figures out how to protect the ball in the backcourt, needs to be coming off the bench.

I like it. I think Edwards is motivating both Dalton and James to be the best versions of themselves.
Hey, someone gets it!
Lost on you two is the fact that we wouldn't even be in the game if it weren't for everything good that James does.

To be honest I don't think it really matters if Dalton or James gets a couple more minutes each game. I don't think it will make this team win anymore games than it does. I think everyone is basically wasting their time with this argument or whatever you want to call it.

This team will still turn the ball over and shoot like poop from the 3 point line in road games. This team will lose most road games whether James and Dalton start and play 30+ minutes or not. This team isn't smart enough to win road games. Especially with the tempo they play at.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Hey, someone gets it!

To be honest I don't think it really matters if Dalton or James gets a couple more minutes each game. I don't think it will make this team win anymore games than it does. I think everyone is basically wasting their time with this argument or whatever you want to call it.

This team will still turn the ball over and shoot like poop from the 3 point line in road games. This team will lose most road games whether James and Dalton start and play 30+ minutes or not. This team isn't smart enough to win road games. Especially with the tempo they play at.
You don't think playing your best two players 5-8 more minutes while replacing crappy production from lesser players is going to make a difference in a close game? I'm dumbfounded
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:25 amSo you guys really think that Kelly and Lieberman are just as good as James?
Kelley and Lieberman are point guards. James is not good enough yet to be full-time at PG. Which means looking at those TPM numbers, he's behind the two on the wing who are the best on the team in that stat.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:21 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Hey, someone gets it!

You don't think playing your best two players 5-8 more minutes while replacing crappy production from lesser players is going to make a difference in a close game? I'm dumbfounded

You would think playing them an extra 5 minutes would help but as of right now I don't think it would matter with the way this team plays. This team turns the ball over too much and James is one of the main problems in late game situations.

As of right now I don't think this team is good enough to win road games even with Dalton and James playing more. I hope they prove me wrong but I haven't seen anything so far that will change my mind.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Damn, Wyoming should hire a couple of you for the next coach. I'd venture to guess its about keeping guys fresh. Or maybe it's about the defense they're trying to run at the time each player is in. Maybe it has to do with certain defenses they're seeing and Edwards feels like different guys match up better in certain circumstances. I don't think you can look at their TO in black and white. Maybe against zones James doesn't turn it over as much. Who knows. I agree we should see more players a little or a lot more but it's not so cut and dry. I wish naughton would get more time. Seems like he always starts a game strong with layups and putbacks
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:17 pm Damn, Wyoming should hire a couple of you for the next coach. I'd venture to guess its about keeping guys fresh. Or maybe it's about the defense they're trying to run at the time each player is in. Maybe it has to do with certain defenses they're seeing and Edwards feels like different guys match up better in certain circumstances. I don't think you can look at their TO in black and white. Maybe against zones James doesn't turn it over as much. Who knows. I agree we should see more players a little or a lot more but it's not so cut and dry. I wish naughton would get more time. Seems like he always starts a game strong with layups and putbacks
I think they should hire all of us in this thread as the coaching staff and we can all bitch at each other who deserves more time based on which stats we think are more important lol

Honestly I hope we get a big win today and start playing better on the road and James and Dalton kick ass and everyone else stops turning it over as well. I don't like arguing over who should get more playing time. Just wish we were good enough to not have to worry about it. :thumb:

Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Wouldn't be informative to have TO's per touch or per unit time ball is handled? But it would require a team of observers with stop watches to do so. The point being, if you handle the ball a lot, you are going to get more turnovers, as some have previously posited. The again, as has been posted, there are turnovers and "good" turnovers. Perhaps those who consider which TO's are good could give an example in the next game.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Watching the game confirms my thoughts. Without James on the floor we can't do jack poop on offense. James played by FAR the best defense, too tonight. I wish they kept +/- stats because i bet James was + 10 or so.

Tonight was much better - it seemed like coach was on track to play him 30 min or so, but the refs royally screwed him.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Updated PPPMP

1. Dalton 0.89
2. James 0.88
3. Adams 0.69
4. Naughton 0.68
5. Moemeka 0.64
6. Herndon 0.60
7. Marshall 0.57
8. JMac 0.54
9. Aka Gorski 0.54
10. Barnes 0.51
11. Kelley 0.46
12. Lieberman 0.36
13. Averbuck 0.36

Graphically:
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:08 am Updated PPPMP

1. Dalton 0.89
2. James 0.88
3. Adams 0.69
4. Naughton 0.68
5. Moemeka 0.64
6. Herndon 0.60
7. Marshall 0.57
8. JMac 0.54
9. Aka Gorski 0.54
10. Barnes 0.51
11. Kelley 0.46
12. Lieberman 0.36
13. Averbuck 0.36

Graphically:
You've got the accountant in me all hot and bothered, ItSucksToBeaCSURam.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I just chuckle when I see our starting lineup is five of our worst players according to this metric.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:28 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:25 amSo you guys really think that Kelly and Lieberman are just as good as James?
Kelley and Lieberman are point guards. James is not good enough yet to be full-time at PG. Which means looking at those TPM numbers, he's behind the two on the wing who are the best on the team in that stat.
Being listed as a "point guard" does not make one better than one who is not. If JJ can's play point in this league, the other two certainly cannot either.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:28 pm
Point guard, schmoint guard. Herndon brings the ball up the court as much as Kelly and Lieberman. Point guard is a meaningless, ambiguous term. Once the ball is across half court the midget duo does nothing. They turn it over plenty while still managing to accomplish next to nothing.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

pokecountant wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:08 am Updated PPPMP

1. Dalton 0.89
2. James 0.88
3. Adams 0.69
4. Naughton 0.68
5. Moemeka 0.64
6. Herndon 0.60
7. Marshall 0.57
8. JMac 0.54
9. Aka Gorski 0.54
10. Barnes 0.51
11. Kelley 0.46
12. Lieberman 0.36
13. Averbuck 0.36

Graphically:
You've got the accountant in me all hot and bothered, ItSucksToBeaCSURam.
Haha. I do what I can. I'll use my "invisible hand" to get this board all hot to trot!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I wasnt able to attend the Nevada game or watch it, but apparently Kelley had a rough game?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:23 pmPoint guard, schmoint guard. Herndon brings the ball up the court as much as Kelly and Lieberman.
Which shows they trust James to handle the ball less than even a PF. Real encouraging!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Thanks for putting this together Itssuckstobeacsuram.

I guess this must be based on overall season.

I wonder if there is a better way to adjust this. To me there is no way that Gorski is the 9th best producer on this team and Adams is 3rd and Naughton 4th.

When i did the conference only stats Gorski basically came out looking like one of the top 3 or 4 players on the team overall. He has the highest 3 point percentage and one of the highest over all FG percentages. He has the 3rd highest points per minute played and highest per game average as well as he turns the ball over less than any other back court player on the team based on conference games.

So he might have had a couple of bad games with that concussion or right after but he has picked it up since then.

Adams and Naughton have done literally nothing in conference play when I looked at their stats on per minute basis.

So I am wondering if there is a better way to make adjustments to this based on current status of the team.

DVDA
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:34 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:23 pmPoint guard, schmoint guard. Herndon brings the ball up the court as much as Kelly and Lieberman.
Which shows they trust James to handle the ball less than even a PF. Real encouraging!
What is up with your troll posts in this thread? Usually you try to be objective with your input. Are you really that salty about the lack of support the two point guards are getting from the board? Is it the buttlove some have for James?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:34 pm
All that shows is that it doesn't matter who brings the ball up the court. James is trusted to do whatever he wants on offense.... when he's in.