Wyoming @ San Jose St.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

This offense is just as bad as Shyatt's was when he was here. It is not at all a complete offense. The only interior threat is the super basic post-up by Naughton which is only there vs small teams. The picks are almost non-existant and every player looks to pick and pop. There is no threat to attack the rim other than individuals attacking their defenders 1 on 1. Edwards would be wise to steal Utah States offense since they actually set screens and cut to the rim. Edwards "let them play" philosophy and lack of set plays shows he isn't much of an x's and o's coach.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

FarmerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 pmDalton never saw the floor for some reason.
https://twitter.com/BFoster91/status/821952537485971456
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Good game, Pokes! Proud of the team for getting a road win.

Got to hand it to the Liebermeister. He played great. And to do it when our other guards except Adams sucked?
Last edited by LanderPoke on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:27 pm Love to see the 'pokes getting in the paint. Just a question to pose -- how do you think we do against teams in the conference with some real big men in the post? How do we do against an Oliver and Nevada-like frontcourt? I believe that we will be more competitive pounding down low, but am afraid that we just don't have enough "meat" down there yet. Thoughts?
I think we've actually got capable post defenders and scorers. We just need to utilize them. Naughton and Herndon can both score in the post.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Cosmic Cowboy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:25 pm
DVDA wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:23 pm
Cosmic Cowboy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:14 pm Hands down SJSU's gym is the saddest in conference. Close 2nd CSU.
I think Lander's gym is comparable to this one.
I've played in Lander's gym before. I've seen bigger crowds there then this and that's in a decent size Wyoming town....TOWN being the key word here.
Lander? Hell there are bigger crowds in Dubois than SJSU!
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:52 pmMaybe that's where a coaching staff isn't preparing their players for the rigors of college basketball. If your best two player see 8 minutes of play time at sea level due to being out of shape you're doing something wrong.
Part of being a "best player" is getting yourself in shape. But I like how certain guys carry no blame for anything around here. It's all the coach's fault if they do anything wrong. Evidently they are the perfect MWC player and bound to become the next Kawhi Leonard in your eyes.
Seriously? Why even have a coaching staff if it is all on the players?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

hooray a win on the road!!!!! now we'll see how our youngens take to the Pit on Saturday
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

stymeman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:33 am hooray a win on the road!!!!! now we'll see how our youngens take to the Pit on Saturday
For real! You won't find me complaining after a 10 point road win
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 amSeriously? Why even have a coaching staff if it is all on the players?
I didn't say it's all on the players. But it's also not all on the coaching staff. Players still need to execute the coach's gameplan. A coach probably isn't telling a player to pass the ball to the opponent, yet it still happens sometimes.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:30 pm
Wyolie Coyote wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 amSeriously? Why even have a coaching staff if it is all on the players?
I didn't say it's all on the players. But it's also not all on the coaching staff. Players still need to execute the coach's gameplan. A coach probably isn't telling a player to pass the ball to the opponent, yet it still happens sometimes.
The comment was about conditioning, not turnovers....
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

This was a great game for our team. Showed they can still win without hitting 3's. I hope it is a sign we can do that more often and not something that we were able to do against SJSU because of their lack of inside presence. Thought we moved the ball extremely well, especially in the first half. We let up a bit in the second half but I wasn't ever really worried about them getting back into the game. Maybe for a minute when they pulled into single digits with around 10 mins left but I never felt worried. Hope this win turns into more confidence on the road.

Should probably discuss starting linups/minutes discussion in another thread but it seems like every thread has become that topic so I don't know where to go so I will just post my thoughts here. I had these thoughts prior to the game last night but last night helped solidfy my thoughts.
I am fine with the starting lineups. You can see what the staff wants out of it.

Lieberman-want to start a true PG(can go stretches with Al or JJ running the point but they don't want to start this way) and last night showed how good he can be on the defensive end disrupting the other teams guards.
Aka- LAst night wasn't stellar for him but in conference he has been one of our best players, has the size, smarts and shooting that the staff wants-think he needs to start.
Mcm-Team leader, great shooter(careerwise) has been struggling this year but the staff is sticking with the senior leader and I'm ok with that
Herndon-Deserves to start, a stretch 4 who does have some inside presence(defensivly at least)
Naughton-a true center who at times can dominate a game down low and other times disappear should most definitely start.

I don't have a problem with the starting line-up. If McM keeps struggling and the staff wants to replace him in the starting 5 with JJ or Dalton I would be ok with that. I would also be ok with a lineup putting Dalton and Herndon down low without Naughton if they saw the matchups working better that way.

I also don't have too much of a problem with the minutes people are seeing. Each game is its own thing and based on matchups, how individuals are playing, foul trouble, etc. different people end up seeing different amount of minutes so I have a had time looking at average minutes and deciding someone wasn't played enough so overall I'm happy with how they are handling it but that doesn't mean I never have any issues or questions. I thought last night in the first half they kept Kelley in the game too long. He wasn't bring much while Liebs was playing great(other games I've had no problem with Kelley getting lots of minutes)

With Louis back I think this team is more dangerous. Hope he can stay healthy. He scored his 14 points last night real quick.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

This was a great result and a must win really to keep an optimistic feel to the season for our fanbase. The Pokes gained ground in the standings with this win. Now they head to the Pit already having split on this road trip with a great chance to do something BIG. A win at the Pit and this season is right back on track, even putting us ahead of schedule on my rosy season prediction outlook which can be seen in another thread :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Riding High!!!