UW@UNM in da Pit

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:55 pm
wyocowboy2014 wrote:He needs to be permanently benched. Waste of space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easy. Jesus. He's in a slump

Is it just a slump? Or is he simply not suited to play this fast paced style of basketball and hasn't been able to adjust like the rest of the guys?
Dalton has flourished. Lieberman has been up and down, but trending upward. But I'm starting to wonder if McManamen will just struggle the rest of the year because of his inability to play in this new system. :twocents: :twocents:
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Well, if Jmac was contributing in other ways, defense or rebounding, then ok, let him work through it. But his floor game is just too unproductive to be starting. But there is plenty of blame to go around for tonight's stinker. Dalton had a terrible game on the offensive end. Gorski was a brick layer in the second half. Adams had a very good first 1/2 and then doesn't see the court until late in the second 1/2.

We are not a very good team right now. This is a piss poor conference and we are in the bottom 1/2 of it.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Calling him a waste of space was a bit harsh. I agree that his minutes should go way down

W-Y, Until I Die!
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote:Calling him a waste of space was a bit harsh. I agree that his minutes should go way down

His performance is the harsh reality. The numbers don't lie. I think his attitude has been poor. It is one thing if he was a senior leader, but I don't think that's the case. He's been a great player for Wyoming, but enough is enough

NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

You're really stuck in between a rock and a hard place with Jason right. No way should he be playing any second half minutes until he starts showing he deserves them but I'm not sure what the affect of cutting his minutes would have on him mentally. I think he's got to try and work through it some in the first half to earn those second half minutes.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

It seems like Edwards is scared to sit JMac right now. I wasn't able to see any video, so didn't get to see if Adams was playing good defense or not. I don't imagine that he was such a liability tonight to warrant only 11 minutes on the floor, especially when JMac was struggling so badly.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Hard for me to form an opinion on anything other than stats when I didn't have video, but seems like same poop different day. If Edwards plays the productive, dynamic players we might have had a chance. James and Adams with the 7th and 8th most minutes? Are they the 7th and 8th best players? Beyond frustrated at this point.
wrxman
Buckaroo

jmac had 0 points in 27 minutes of play. We have to have something in that amount of time.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:21 pm It seems like Edwards is scared to sit JMac right now. I wasn't able to see any video, so didn't get to see if Adams was playing good defense or not. I don't imagine that he was such a liability tonight to warrant only 11 minutes on the floor, especially when JMac was struggling so badly.
Seriously. Edwards is either scared or stupid. How bad does one have to play to get benched? Can't believe coach won't play his two best scorers more. James 18 min and Adams 11 min? What a freaking joke. I'm sorry, but Edwards can't be considered a good coach until he fixes this.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 pm
'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:21 pm It seems like Edwards is scared to sit JMac right now. I wasn't able to see any video, so didn't get to see if Adams was playing good defense or not. I don't imagine that he was such a liability tonight to warrant only 11 minutes on the floor, especially when JMac was struggling so badly.
Seriously. Edwards is either scared or stupid. How bad does one have to play to get benched? Can't believe coach won't play His two best scorers more. James 18 min and Adams 11 min? What a freaking joke. I'm sorry, but Edwards can't be considered a good coach until he fixes this.
I don't think you can lump Adams and James together. I understand why Adams playing time is somewhat limited at this point. I think by next season, he will be a beast, but this year he still has a tendency to play out of control. James may make some bad turnovers, but his overall floor game is better than Adams IMO. Plus, James is a complete offensive player. There is nothing on offense that he isn't good at. Adams is more of a pure slasher.

We have to play James more. I don't really care whose minutes are curtailed, but we need James on the floor.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

NowherePoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 pm
Seriously. Edwards is either scared or stupid. How bad does one have to play to get benched? Can't believe coach won't play His two best scorers more. James 18 min and Adams 11 min? What a freaking joke. I'm sorry, but Edwards can't be considered a good coach until he fixes this.
I don't think you can lump Adams and James together. I understand why Adams playing time is somewhat limited at this point. I think by next season, he will be a beast, but this year he still has a tendency to play out of control. James may make some bad turnovers, but his overall floor game is better than Adams IMO. Plus, James is a complete offensive player. There is nothing on offense that he isn't good at. Adams is more of a pure slasher.

We have to play James more. I don't really care whose minutes are curtailed, but we need James on the floor.
I just don't know how anyone can watch a Wyoming game and think that James should only play 1/2 the game. It's madness. Even my wife who knows nothing about basketball wonders why the guy who moves so well and jumps higher than everyone and scores a lot doesn't play more.

Notice how NM's two best players played 37 min? Nevada had four guys get 37+ tonight. Utah state's Jalen Moore hardly ever comes out. You play your best players. period. and we can't even get James 20 min? What a joke. It's mind blowing and it's a travesty. Edwards is costing James valuable experience, retarding his growth as a player and possibly costing him some postseason accolades.

As far as Adams? From what I've seen in addition to being a great scorer, he's a bulldog defensively and a damn good rebounder for his size.

Beyond frustrating.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

WyomingAg wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:43 pm Wrong lineup in at end of game, goes from being 1 point down to 9 points down.
You noticed that, too, huh?! The dynamic duo (Dalton with 17 & 13 in 27 minutes, James with 14 points in 18 minutes) on the bench as the deficit grew.

James didn't see the floor in the second half until the 12:49 mark, as I recall. Yep.......
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

POKE FAN wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:11 pm
WyomingAg wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:43 pm Wrong lineup in at end of game, goes from being 1 point down to 9 points down.
You noticed that, too, huh?! The dynamic duo (Dalton with 17 & 13 in 27 minutes, James with 14 points in 18 minutes) on the bench as the deficit grew.

James didn't see the floor in the second half until the 12:49 mark, as I recall. Yep.......
Edwards is an idiot. Why would he leave him on the bench so long?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I'm not as big on Adams as the rest of you. I agree with nowhere that he plays out of control too much. That being said, Jmac is becoming a big liability. At this point, anyone is an upgrade. Edwards must be really trying to let him play through it right now but at some point he'll need to recognize that he's not one of the best players

W-Y, Until I Die!
castlerocker
Cowpoke

The turnovers were key to the game. They killed momentum. James had his share (3) to go with 14 pts. There were a lot of traveling calls. Are all the players suffering from trying to play too fast.

Some folks have also noticed coach yelling at his players and you've got to wonder if that has an accumulative effect. Shyatt had more of a calm and mature style. Very few players will respond to being yelled at.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:15 pm
POKE FAN wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Edwards is an idiot. Why would he leave him on the bench so long?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

James got on the floor with just under 13 minutes to go in the second half, played a few minutes, then was taken out. The UNM run started and Justin was languishing until a few minutes left in the game.

Some people like to point out the TOs made by James. Yes, there are some ill-advised, boneheaded decisions made during each game, but everyone makes them. Outside of Adams, Dalton and James are the two most aggressive on the offensive end at facing up with the ball and attacking the glass off the dribble. They are more apt to commit a few more TOs that show up on the stat sheet while trying to make things happen. Personally, I can live with that as Hayden and Justin bring NET POSITIVE things to the game when they're on the floor.
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

Yelling or having a calm mature style seems not to really have much of a positive impact either way.

This team is largely a product of the Shyatt recruiting philosophy where there are numerous weak areas exploited in conference play. After 5 years of Shyatt the basketball god that saved Wyoming from a San Jose style abyss, we are still competitive in being a consistent MWC losing record team.

Edwards is 3-4 in his first 7 conference games. How he finishes will need to be the key comparison.

Shyatt was as follows in his first 7 conference games, (overall conference W-L) and how he finished in the remaining:

2012 4-3 (6-8) 2-5
2013 2-5 (4-12) 2-7
2014 5-2 (9-9) 4-7
2015 6-1 (11-7) 5-6 Won the MWC Tourney appeared in the NCAA
2016 3-4 (7-11) 4-7

Overall Shyatt was 20-15 in the first 7 conference games each year but concluded with a cumulative 17-32 to close out conference season. Notice that not once in his 5 year stint did Shyatt finish regular season league play with a winning total into February/March. Credit due to winning the MWC Tourney for one bright moment.

I will give Edwards this year to make adjustments and show he plays much more competitively as the season progresses. I am literally tired of seeing UW basketball struggle in conference play year after year after year only to fall further into the lower levels as the season progresses.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I'm thinking there must be a demoralizing effect on the bench when you are one of those sitting there seeing an unproductive player getting so many minutes. Maybe Edwards isn't who we thought he was or maybe he didn't learn that much as an assistant and has a steep learning curve to climb.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

Some of you people are crazy. I've watched my fair share of games and I understand the confusion and frustration many of you have, but I think questioning whether this was the right hire is beyond idiotic. Look at what Bohl has done in three years and it's still probably too early to judge his work there. It's impossible to judge anything on this small sample size we have. Additionally this team was picked to finish 10th out of 11 teams so expectations are definitely being exceeded. And lastly, I consider the MWC an upperclassmen driven league. Having two seniors who combined for 0 points yesterday bodes well for a better season next year.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 pmPlus, James is a complete offensive player. There is nothing on offense that he isn't good at.
Including turning the ball over. 11 assists, 14 turnovers in 7 MW games. I don't care how many points the kid can score, that has to change!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo