Thoughts on San Diego St

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

frustrated beyond all belief anymore, wonder what Saturday will look like against a not so good Air Force team as wellI I don't see a win until(maybe) CSU at home Feb. 14
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

It seemed obvious that Edward's fast pace style just doesn't fit the personnel he has. Fast, but not so fast may work. And the CBS announcers were quick to point out individual player's flaws. Edwards should be made to watch the game announced by this team.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Someone pointed out a few days ago that the pokes attempt more 3 pointers than anyone else in the conference, to the tune of the 2nd worst 3 point percentage in the conference. Sooner or later the light bulb has got to come on, but maybe the coaching staff has thicker skulls than one would think.
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

The situation is directly related to marginal recruiting by Larry Shyatt. Weak point guard and a weak interior.

Had it not been for fantastic gets in Nance, Cooke and Adams the UW basketball program would have floundered in a San Jose/Air Force mode.

Until help arrives the program will continue to flounder as a sub .500 MWC program.

Along with several other amazing OOC wins, big deal if we beat the snot out of Montana (a .500 Big Sky program) twice by 1 and by 2 points respectively for our 14 win total out of 23 games to date this year. Shyatt only got above .500 in MWC play one time when Nance was healthy. When Nance was not healthy we could not win consistently in MWC play. The key is to play well in conference play and especially play strong to close out the season instead of folding like the proverbial cheap tent.

Edwards is being asked to build a house with a dull pocketknife and a weakened MWC is exposing just how weak the UW basketball program is right now in many areas.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

PorkerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:26 amEdwards is being asked to build a house with a dull pocketknife and a weakened MWC is exposing just how weak the UW basketball program is right now in many areas.
But given the players he has, he should have made changes slowly. And think about it -- the lineup next year will be virtually identical to what it is now, with similar results. Will the new players have an impact? Doubtful, given Edward's player rotation policy.
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

That is the other part of the equation. Is it the Edwards coaching style?

How easy it is to forget that even with mighty Josh Adams the slow Shyatt pace produced a 7-11 MWC total last year. Even with the trio of Adams, Nance and Cooke the best MWC outcome was 11-7. It would have been better had Nance not been sidelined that year for a couple of weeks as evidenced by the MWC Tourney win.

The bottom line is that the basketball program has struggled to win conference games since 2002 and the best showing since was when a surprising first round NBA last minute recruit Larry Nance Jr. carried the team.

The MWC seems to have at least 5-6 teams that can outplay UW consistently over the course of the MWC game slate leaving UW sub .500. Until the calvary arrives (like coach Bohl said), this exact same roster would struggle under John Calipari to be a MWC winner.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

stymeman wrote:frustrated beyond all belief anymore, wonder what Saturday will look like against a not so good Air Force team as wellI I don't see a win until(maybe) CSU at home Feb. 14
That same Air Force team that beat SDSU and lost to SJSU.

Your guess is as good as mine lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CowboyJoe
Buckaroo

I think a few of you are too hard on Edwards. He recruited JJ and Moemeka from FL and has a couple talented guys coming in next year. You're not going to win many games in this conference with guys like Leiberman, Kelley, Aka Gorksi, JMac getting the majority of minutes. I do agree that this team could be playing marginally better, but the fact of the matter is this team isn't athletic enough to compete with SDSU, Boise St., UNLV on most nights.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

CowboyJoe wrote:I think a few of you are too hard on Edwards. He recruited JJ and Moemeka from FL and has a couple talented guys coming in next year. You're not going to win many games in this conference with guys like Leiberman, Kelley, Aka Gorksi, JMac getting the majority of minutes. I do agree that this team could be playing marginally better, but the fact of the matter is this team isn't athletic enough to compete with SDSU, Boise St., UNLV on most nights.
I don't believe athleticism has a anything to do with it. The team is more athletic than you give them credit for this team has severe mental breakdowns on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Being an athletic team means nothing if we cannot hit shots or play consistent defense....
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

I watched the game and thought the Pokes could have easily been 5-7 points better in the first half. They had a lot of bad plays they could have easily cleaned up. A lot of bad TO's in this game. What sucks about this team is against the top athletic squads in the conference their margin for error becomes slim. They have to out shoot or out play those squads. Unfortunately it just looks like this squad is not ready to take on the top 6 or 7 MWC teams on the road. Hoping that we haven't seen their best ball by a long shot and they become dangerous for the MWC tourney.

There were some positives happening in this game too. J McMan played with a lot more spirit and was hitting shots again. Herndon looked really good in this one. JJ had moments of greatness and some bad spots too (too many TO's). Playing time was distributed pretty well too. I wanted to see some Moemeka in there though.
Riding High!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

How many more wins do we have under Papa Shy?? just curious what people think
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 am How many more wins do we have under Papa Shy?? just curious what people think
0, maybe 1. Shyatt wasnt some "Player Whisperer" or some coaching guru. I don't think the difference would be that extreme. Have we forgotten last season? When we had arguably one of the best players to ever play at UW?
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 am How many more wins do we have under Papa Shy?? just curious what people think
I think we would have had 3 or 4 more wins minimum. This team wouldn't have been blown out at home by Boise and Nevada and they would have beaten Pacific and UNLV the first time.

Shyatt would have had them playing fundamental basketball and good defense. They wouldn't turn the ball over and they would pass the ball on offense. Plus Shyatt's player rotations wouldn't be so asinine.

Edwards team doesn't play defense, they don't pass the ball, they seem to have no fundamentals and the player rotations are horrible. Also Edwards isn't an x and o's coach at all. He is going to have to figure some things out or he will be gone after another couple of years. This team has enough talent on it to be a lot better than they are showing. So it is the coaches fault in my opinion.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am
0, maybe 1. Shyatt wasnt some "Player Whisperer" or some coaching guru. I don't think the difference would be that extreme. Have we forgotten last season? When we had arguably one of the best players to ever play at UW?
Correct - Shyatt got us to 7-11 last year. He only had one conference season out of 5 with a finish above .500 and the current roster besides Louis Adams is all Shyatt recruiting.

To date out of 10 MWC games UW has beaten the bottom 4 teams and lost to everyone else with less losses. Unless something changes this is what is left on the schedule:

Road winning teams - Boise, CSU
Road losing teams - AFA, USU
Home losing teams - SJSU
Home winning teams - FSU, CSU, UNM

I see one game I would pencil as likely to win - home versus SJSU. Any game is winnable if we have a shoot the lights out kind of game. The percentages indicate that would be more of an anomaly than an expectation.

In typical Wyoming fashion - there is always hope next year will be better.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Air Force on Saturday coming at a good time!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

0-1. I don't think Shyatt would have done much better.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

While I am willing to give Coach Edwards a few years to right the ship, I'm afraid it's going to take a splash hire, much as we did in football, to rebuild Wyoming Cowboys Basketball. We're going to have to come up with at least a $1M package to get the coach we probably need.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

JEez. Already giving up on Edwards as a coach? I think he is a good coach and both he and the team are trying to figure out the new system.

I am seeing people here saying this team doesn't play defense??? I get the frustration from the last couple games but this team still plays good defense. We are 24th in the nation in FG% defense and second in the conference barely behind SDSU. Sure we are giving up more points per game than in the past but that is due to pace not defense. Deefnse is not our problem. Missing shots and turning the ball over are much bigger issues. I firmly believe that Edwards is going to be a great coach just got to give him time.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I agree. Defense hasn't been the problem. Outside of a couple, Cowboys just can't shoot.