Thoughts on San Diego St

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

TSpoke wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm Already giving up on Edwards as a coach? I think he is a good coach and both he and the team are trying to figure out the new system.
I am wondering. What do the players REALLY think of Edwards? Are there any deep insiders who have heard from the players?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:14 pm
TSpoke wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm Already giving up on Edwards as a coach? I think he is a good coach and both he and the team are trying to figure out the new system.
I am wondering. What do the players REALLY think of Edwards? Are there any deep insiders who have heard from the players?
I would be very interested in this as well. As a fan watching from the sidelines, his approach and his tact seem to rub some players wrong, but I could be misreading the interactions.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I have no idea and no inside information but from what I have heard in interviews and whatnot, they really seem to like him. I know, I know, people can say anything in interviews but some of the things I have heard came up naturally(as in not questions about the coach). I get the impression that they really like playing for him and I haven't seen anything that would make me think otherwise. Do you have a reason to think they don't like him?
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:20 pm
I would be very interested in this as well. As a fan watching from the sidelines, his approach and his tact seem to rub some players wrong, but I could be misreading the interactions.
I don't see it that way at all. He can get pretty animated at times and a bit loud with them sometimes but I don't think he has crossed any lines and I personally haven't seen any players get upset by it but I could be reading things wrong as well.

I do remember from the last several years that as an assistant he was the coach the players seemed to identify with the most/bond with the best so I doubt that would change completely as he became head coach. Change some sure but not completely.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:20 pm
Like every time Adams gets taken out for a lesser player. He looks like he wants to kill someone
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:22 pm
I have no idea and no inside information but from what I have heard in interviews and whatnot, they really seem to like him. I know, I know, people can say anything in interviews but some of the things I have heard came up naturally(as in not questions about the coach). I get the impression that they really like playing for him and I haven't seen anything that would make me think otherwise. Do you have a reason to think they don't like him?
This is all my own thoughts. I have no proof, no reason, or anything official to make me think this. I just see him jump in certain players asses and their expressions in response don't always align with loving him. Again, I could be way off. It could be heat of the moment type thing. I just don't see the same interactions with Edwards or the love for him that you could tell the players had for Shyatt.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

TSpoke wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm JEez. Already giving up on Edwards as a coach? I think he is a good coach and both he and the team are trying to figure out the new system.

I am seeing people here saying this team doesn't play defense??? I get the frustration from the last couple games but this team still plays good defense. We are 24th in the nation in FG% defense and second in the conference barely behind SDSU. Sure we are giving up more points per game than in the past but that is due to pace not defense. Deefnse is not our problem. Missing shots and turning the ball over are much bigger issues. I firmly believe that Edwards is going to be a great coach just got to give him time.
Well, I, for one, never said that. If that was your takeaway, I suggest you reread my post. If it's still your takeaway, I suggest you have someone read it and explain it to you.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:30 pm
This is all my own thoughts. I have no proof, no reason, or anything official to make me think this. I just see him jump in certain players asses and their expressions in response don't always align with loving him. Again, I could be way off. It could be heat of the moment type thing. I just don't see the same interactions with Edwards or the love for him that you could tell the players had for Shyatt.
It's often difficult for people to react to someone who's authority status has changed, especially if that authority figure changes the way they are interacting with those people. It's a common falling down point among less experienced managers and executives. If Edwards' role was partially one of having his players backs or at least supporting them when Shyatt got on them, and now he's the one jumping on them, it will cause a trust and respect deficit that is difficult to bridge. It's why, so often, companies these days really prefer to transfer someone they're promoting. If that's part of the issue, I sincerely hope Edwards can figure that out. For me, the jury's hasn't even gotten the case yet insofar as his ability as a coach. Gotta give the guy at least three or four seasons...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:15 pm
It's often difficult for people to react to someone who's authority status has changed, especially if that authority figure changes the way they are interacting with those people. It's a common falling down point among less experienced managers and executives. If Edwards' role was partially one of having his players backs or at least supporting them when Shyatt got on them, and now he's the one jumping on them, it will cause a trust and respect deficit that is difficult to bridge. It's why, so often, companies these days really prefer to transfer someone they're promoting. If that's part of the issue, I sincerely hope Edwards can figure that out. For me, the jury's hasn't even gotten the case yet insofar as his ability as a coach. Gotta give the guy at least three or four seasons...
I agree and I hope Edwards gets his chance here. You cannot judge him as a coach based of 23 games. He needs a 3 seasons atleast.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times

I'm not giving up on Edwards either. I am just saying he needs to learn a few things and this team is better than it is being coached at this point. So we will see if he can adjust or not.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:15 pm
I agree - case in point Coach Bohl after his 2 win season.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Well its a big adjustment season really and we suck on the road. I'm worried a little because the team hasn't played a full, crisp game in awhile. Hoping Edwards can keep these cats playing hard till the end of the season. I think they can work out some wrinkles still and be somewhat threatening. The D intensity needs to go up a little I think, but man we looked like poop on O the last game. It was SDSU and they always bring that ferocious, long, athletic D. Hey another positive....we drew even with SDSU on the boards :winky: :winky: :winky: that's f-word awesome!!!! When is the last time that happened in Viejas? Negative SDSU had 14 steals??? :shock: :shock: :shock: How do you win a game giving up 14 steals???? U DON'T :thumbdown:
Riding High!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am
stymeman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 am How many more wins do we have under Papa Shy?? just curious what people think
0, maybe 1. Shyatt wasnt some "Player Whisperer" or some coaching guru. I don't think the difference would be that extreme. Have we forgotten last season? When we had arguably one of the best players to ever play at UW?
Not only did we lose one of the best players in program history, we also lacked a talent infusion on this year's roster to go along with it.

This the roster of a 7-11 MWC team without its 25 ppg scorer. We are a team that relies on its jump shot, but is next-to-last in the MWC in both FG percentage (.411) and 3-point percentage (.297). Even if we get to the free-throw line, we're the second-worst in the league (.703).
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo