MWC Games

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

So SJSU leading SDSU by 10 with 9 min left in the game. Now this could help us quite a bit if we take care of business tomorrow against FRES.

I won't count on SJSU winning but if they manage to it sure will help us out.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

So SJSU beats SDSU now more than ever we have to take care of FRES at home tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I watched that game - SJSU is playing good BB right now (weak on rebounding though) + good coaching.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 am I watched that game - SJSU is playing good BB right now (weak on rebounding though) + good coaching.
Fantastic. We'll have that advantage. Look for Naughton to play 8 minutes total.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

how do the sheep keep winning???
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Looks like CSU is doing just fine -- no, actually better -- with just 7 players. I'm wondering if having each player in the game for longer lets each one adjust to the pace and style of the game better, so getting more productivity.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote:Looks like CSU is doing just fine -- no, actually better -- with just 7 players. I'm wondering if having each player in the game for longer lets each one adjust to the pace and style of the game better, so getting more productivity.
I'm willing to bet that by tournament time that team is beat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

sheep will wear down
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:22 pm Looks like CSU is doing just fine -- no, actually better -- with just 7 players. I'm wondering if having each player in the game for longer lets each one adjust to the pace and style of the game better, so getting more productivity.
It's a crazy strategy to play your best players a lot as a unit and let them develop continuity together... ahemm.. Edwards?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:06 am sheep will wear down
It's not like it's the NBA where there are back to back to backs. These are young dudes and the game is only 40 min long. I think they'll be just fine.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

Our conference sucks ass this year. This is a 3 horse race from now on going forward, and Nevada's to lose. How embarrassing that the POS at CSewe tossed 3 scholarship players, and is still winning with the 7 he has left...while we look like Natrona HS.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:29 am
It's not like it's the NBA where there are back to back to backs. These are young dudes and the game is only 40 min long. I think they'll be just fine.
Agreed. There are plenty of good teams that only play about 7 players anyway. Nevada this year is that way. Our best team, 14-15, was basically like that. We did end up playing some other players due to the period of time when Nance/Herndon was out with Mono, but when it mattered we only played 7. Now, I suppose you could say CSU would be screwed if they had players out like we had that year with Nance/Herndon except...well, we were screwed too. We lost all those games anyway, so what's the difference?

CSU fans are idiots. They don't realize they have one of the best coaches in the conference.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:14 am
Agreed. There are plenty of good teams that only play about 7 players anyway. Nevada this year is that way. Our best team, 14-15, was basically like that. We did end up playing some other players due to the period of time when Nance/Herndon was out with Mono, but when it mattered we only played 7. Now, I suppose you could say CSU would be screwed if they had players out like we had that year with Nance/Herndon except...well, we were screwed too. We lost all those games anyway, so what's the difference?

CSU fans are idiots. They don't realize they have one of the best coaches in the conference.
Based on what grading rubric?
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 am

The rubric of winning...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:06 am

The rubric of winning...
Total games or games of substance......? I wouldn't call Larry Eustachy one of the best coaches in any conference.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 am

The rubric of winning...
Total games or games of substance......? I wouldn't call Larry Eustachy one of the best coaches in any conference.
He is one of the best coaches in the MWC. I would say Fisher, Leon Rice and Eustacy are the 3 best.

He lost 3 scholarship players and his team is still playing better than Wyoming this year. Shyatt had his number but Shyatt was a good coach as well he just got unlucky with injuries and people kicking people in the head.

Eustacy is 103-57 in the MWC which is 62%. This is his 5th year there and he has finished 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 8th and this years team is 1 game out of first place. He is probably doing his best MWC coaching job to this point this year with only having 7 scholarship players.

He has won everywhere he has coached. He was a 2 time BIG 12 coach of the year, a 2 time Big West coach of the year, He won the Henry IBA award and was AP national coach of the year one year.

Who else in the MWC has a better resume than Eustacy besides Fisher? Wyoming fans may hate CSU but Eustacy is a good coach.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:00 am

The rubric of winning...
He is one of the best coaches in the MWC. I would say Fisher, Leon Rice and Eustacy are the 3 best.

He lost 3 scholarship players and his team is still playing better than Wyoming this year. Shyatt had his number but Shyatt was a good coach as well he just got unlucky with injuries and people kicking people in the head.

Eustacy is 103-57 in the MWC which is 62%. This is his 5th year there and he has finished 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 8th and this years team is 1 game out of first place. He is probably doing his best MWC coaching job to this point this year with only having 7 scholarship players.

He has won everywhere he has coached. He was a 2 time BIG 12 coach of the year, a 2 time Big West coach of the year, He won the Henry IBA award and was AP national coach of the year one year.

Who else in the MWC has a better resume than Eustacy besides Fisher? Wyoming fans may hate CSU but Eustacy is a good coach.
There is a lot going on in your post but I will try to respond thoroughly. First off, just because he recruits well doesn't make him a good coach. He Who Shall Not Be Named could recruit with the best of them and he was an horrid, putrid, waste of UW funds terrible coach. If having good recruits on your roster means you're a good coach then we fired one of the best ever. So when you say Eustachy has less bodies than us but has better results doesn't necessarily mean he's a great coach. He tends to go the route of 2 year transfers who have already matured some and seen game time. It limits the amount of coaching and developing he has to do. It isn't that surprising that his players are gelling quickly and are playing well. We'll see if it lasts. If it does and he is able to make a run deeper in the season fighting for #1 then maybe my tune will change. That will be impressive.

He is Shyatt 2.0 . He has never finished above 2nd (granted thats higher than Shyatt ever did) and he has never won an outright conference title, season title, or tournament title in this league. It's not like the MWC is the ACC. A good coach with good talent should win here. Being able to beat up a bunch of lower ranked teams then fold come crunch time isn't indicative of a great coach. This conference has trended down since his arrival and his finishes have not necessarily trended up.

Yeah it is easy to say that my B&G goggles (which I never leave home without) can taint my view. And maybe they do. But when you put Eustachy in the same vein as Fischer who has the following accolades:
- 4x MWC Coach of the Year
- Wooden Legends of Coaching Recipient
- NABC Coach of the Year
- Naismith Coach of the Year
- 6 time MWC Regular Season Champion
- 4 time MWC Tournament Champion
- 3 Time NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances
- 1 time NCAA National Championship

you better have better facts than those. Eustachy is an average coach. Fisher is the only GREAT coach we have in the league.

GREAT COACHES:
Fisher

CUSP OF GREAT COACHES:
***MAYBE*** Rice

GOOD COACHES:
***PROBABLY*** Rice
Terry
Phillopovic
Eustachy

YOUNG/NEW COACHES WITH A LOT TO PROVE:
Edwards
Menzies
Duryea
Musselman

UNIMPRESSIVE/UNSUCCESSFUL/YET TO GAIN TRACTION COACHES:
Neal
Wojcik

Just my :twocents:

EDIT: Not sure where Rice should fit...
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

For the record I noted Eustachy as one of the best coaches in the MWC, not the best.

Fisher stands alone, regardless of this year, at the top. The next group is Musselman, Rice, and Eustachy IMO.

By resources, fans, history, CSU should be a bottom 3/4 team in the MWC, yet they have been a Top 4 team overall during his tenure and only one of those seasons were due to players he inherited.

When I rate a coach I am rating the complete package which includes recruiting. It is a big part of the job. As a fan I don't care if my team wins because they are talented or because they are well coached. I only care if they win (top teams usually have both of course).
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:54 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:00 am

The rubric of winning...

There is a lot going on in your post but I will try to respond thoroughly. First off, just because he recruits well doesn't make him a good coach. He Who Shall Not Be Named could recruit with the best of them and he was an horrid, putrid, waste of UW funds terrible coach. If having good recruits on your roster means you're a good coach then we fired one of the best ever. So when you say Eustachy has less bodies than us but has better results doesn't necessarily mean he's a great coach. He tends to go the route of 2 year transfers who have already matured some and seen game time. It limits the amount of coaching and developing he has to do. It isn't that surprising that his players are gelling quickly and are playing well. We'll see if it lasts. If it does and he is able to make a run deeper in the season fighting for #1 then maybe my tune will change. That will be impressive.

He is Shyatt 2.0 . He has never finished above 2nd (granted thats higher than Shyatt ever did) and he has never won an outright conference title, season title, or tournament title in this league. It's not like the MWC is the ACC. A good coach with good talent should win here. Being able to beat up a bunch of lower ranked teams then fold come crunch time isn't indicative of a great coach. This conference has trended down since his arrival and his finishes have not necessarily trended up.

Yeah it is easy to say that my B&G goggles (which I never leave home without) can taint my view. And maybe they do. But when you put Eustachy in the same vein as Fischer who has the following accolades:
- 4x MWC Coach of the Year
- Wooden Legends of Coaching Recipient
- NABC Coach of the Year
- Naismith Coach of the Year
- 6 time MWC Regular Season Champion
- 4 time MWC Tournament Champion
- 3 Time NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances
- 1 time NCAA National Championship

you better have better facts than those. Eustachy is an average coach. Fisher is the only GREAT coach we have in the league.

GREAT COACHES:
Fisher

CUSP OF GREAT COACHES:
***MAYBE*** Rice

GOOD COACHES:
***PROBABLY*** Rice
Terry
Phillopovic
Eustachy

YOUNG/NEW COACHES WITH A LOT TO PROVE:
Edwards
Menzies
Duryea
Musselman

UNIMPRESSIVE/UNSUCCESSFUL/YET TO GAIN TRACTION COACHES:
Neal
Wojcik

Just my :twocents:

EDIT: Not sure where Rice should fit...
First off I agree with you that Fisher is the best coach in the MWC. If you re-read what I posted I just said that the only coach with a better resume in the league than Eustacy is Fisher.

Go down the list of coaches in the league none of the rest of them have a better resume. I did forget about Musselman as I think he is a good coach.

Eustacy was in the BIG 12 and won coach of the year in the BIG 12 twice which is a lot better league than the MWC so not sure what the part about the MWC not being the ACC is. He still won in a lot better league than the MWC. He was a National coach of the year.

I don't think Eustacy is some great recruiter either. I would say he is just as good of a coach as recruiter. If you want to put Shyatt and Eustacy in the same boat then I would say Shyatt was a LOT better game day and in game coach than he was a recruiter. Like NowherePoke says though it all boils down to wins and losses and whether you are a better in game coach or better recruiter winning is all that matters.

To me Eustacy is one of the top 3 coaches in the MWC.

By no means am I saying he is a Great coach but I think he is a good coach and a better coach than most give him credit for.

I think on most points we agree I just happen to think he is a little bit better of a coach than you do I guess.

:thumb:

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:43 am Our conference sucks ass this year. This is a 3 horse race from now on going forward, and Nevada's to lose. How embarrassing that the POS at CSewe tossed 3 scholarship players, and is still winning with the 7 he has left...while we look like Natrona HS.
I think if we only had a certain 7 scholarships players and tossed the rest we would have a better record this year. The only fear is injury. Edwards imo feeds way too many mouths