Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:21 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:59 am
Wyolie Coyote wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:45 am Adams is the one guy that we had available that could drive and draw a foul to win it at the end of a couple of the overtimes. Instead we are settling for contested 18 foot jumpers. Could we not see what #21 was doing for Fresno and how effective it was? Getting to the free throw line would have won the game much sooner. Edwards' rotations and flat out stubbornness are wearing thin.
Couldn't agree more. I guess he would rather lose the game to pride than play Adams down the stretch. I don't get it. Theres no way Adams could have played worse than Liebs (Until the last 3 minutes) or Kelley or JMac (after half time) or even Mo.
I will say Liebs didn't play bad last night. He is playing PG obviously and played 49 minutes last night and only had 1 turnover. That's a good game as far as I'm concerned from that position.
No I agree completely. My point was there is no reason why Adams saw 0 minutes after 15:53 in the second half other than Edwards "knows best". Liebs did have a very solid game last night.
Lieberman had one TO because he literally didn't do anything, but pass it to someone else on the perimeter and occasionally penetrate 2 feet past the three point line until 3 min to go in the 4th overtime. He's not an asset.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:45 am Adams is the one guy that we had available that could drive and draw a foul to win it at the end of a couple of the overtimes. Instead we are settling for contested 18 foot jumpers. Could we not see what #21 was doing for Fresno and how effective it was? Getting to the free throw line would have won the game much sooner. Edwards' rotations and flat out stubbornness are wearing thin.
Couldn't agree more. I guess he would rather lose the game to pride than play Adams down the stretch. I don't get it. Theres no way Adams could have played worse than Liebs (Until the last 3 minutes) or Kelley or JMac (after half time) or even Mo.
After James fouled out it was surprising to not see Adams. Lieberman and JMac were going to play regardless. JMac hit 7 three's in a row earlier in the game. He was going to take a seat in OT and while I think we can get by without a PG occasionally it is a lot easier to do with James on the floor. Without James, Lieberman was going to be in the game as a ball handler. The interesting one was Marshall and then Kelley seeing minutes instead of Adams. That's when you knew he had really pissed off Edwards somehow.

Having said that, the Pokes lose this one in the first 2 OT's without Marshall. He made some key plays and I was really glad to see it.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:32 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:21 pm
I will say Liebs didn't play bad last night. He is playing PG obviously and played 49 minutes last night and only had 1 turnover. That's a good game as far as I'm concerned from that position.
No I agree completely. My point was there is no reason why Adams saw 0 minutes after 15:53 in the second half other than Edwards "knows best". Liebs did have a very solid game last night.
Lieberman had one TO because he literally didn't do anything, but pass it to someone else on the perimeter and occasionally penetrate 2 feet past the three point line until 3 min to go in the 4th overtime. He's not an asset.
I'm not saying he is a huge asset. Just saying he had a good game from that position last night so I won't really bitch about his minutes last night. Honestly if our PG on this team could play that high of minutes consistently and consistently only turn the ball over 1 time per game i would take it with as bad as everyone on this team turns the ball over including the so called "star players".

That was my only point. Not agreeing or disagreeing on who should get the most minutes by any means. Obviously Adams is better by a long shot from an athletic stand point.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I agree with almost all of your 15 things esp Adams and the student section and lack of an enthusiastic crowd, sad place anymore, I think
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Student section fell of an absolute cliff when they changed the seating. I will grant that there have been some good student crowds at times, but I really miss the old seating layout with the students on the side of the court and right along the tunnel. Obviously with the court being turned that's no longer possible but still I hate how they have it laid out now for the students. Glad when I went to school we didn't have to sit behind the basket.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:39 am 11. The seat allocation is still showing how poorly it was done - so many empty lower seats
I was told by a player (as the AA remodel was taking place) that it was being done to bring the crowd closer to the action. WHAT??? Are they kidding? Look at the other conference venues. The crowd is right up on the court. Whoever planned this for the AA must have been going across the border a lot during the planning process.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

I went to the Northern Iowa game and watched nearly every game. It's very frustrating watching Edwards shuffle all these lineups around. One day James plays 20 mins, the next time he plays 34. This team has two exceptional players James and Dalton. I would group Gorski, Liebs, Kelley in the group of players who need to have the games of theirs lives to be even marginal players. McAnimal is solid, but not as good under this new system. Adams and Moemeka are freak athletes with high motors. While Moemeka makes some freshmen errors, the kid gets boards and put backs. He will be a beast in a few years. I would love to see a lineup with less subbing. Screw it, go back to Shyatt's old system of working it for a better shot, slowing the game down and using 8 guys. My 8 guys... Herndon, Dalton, James, Adams and Naughton to start. McManamen first off the bench with Moemeka and Liebs. Maybe throw in a little Mo Marshall here and there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Vt poke wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 pm I went to the Northern Iowa game and watched nearly every game. It's very frustrating watching Edwards shuffle all these lineups around. One day James plays 20 mins, the next time he plays 34. This team has two exceptional players James and Dalton. I would group Gorski, Liebs, Kelley in the group of players who need to have the games of theirs lives to be even marginal players. McAnimal is solid, but not as good under this new system. Adams and Moemeka are freak athletes with high motors. While Moemeka makes some freshmen errors, the kid gets boards and put backs. He will be a beast in a few years. I would love to see a lineup with less subbing. Screw it, go back to Shyatt's old system of working it for a better shot, slowing the game down and using 8 guys. My 8 guys... Herndon, Dalton, James, Adams and Naughton to start. McManamen first off the bench with Moemeka and Liebs. Maybe throw in a little Mo Marshall here and there

I like the way you think so much
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Vt poke wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:45 pm I went to the Northern Iowa game and watched nearly every game. It's very frustrating watching Edwards shuffle all these lineups around. One day James plays 20 mins, the next time he plays 34. This team has two exceptional players James and Dalton. I would group Gorski, Liebs, Kelley in the group of players who need to have the games of theirs lives to be even marginal players. McAnimal is solid, but not as good under this new system. Adams and Moemeka are freak athletes with high motors. While Moemeka makes some freshmen errors, the kid gets boards and put backs. He will be a beast in a few years. I would love to see a lineup with less subbing. Screw it, go back to Shyatt's old system of working it for a better shot, slowing the game down and using 8 guys. My 8 guys... Herndon, Dalton, James, Adams and Naughton to start. McManamen first off the bench with Moemeka and Liebs. Maybe throw in a little Mo Marshall here and there

I like your eight. I may switch Marshall and Lieberman, but otherwise like it a lot. I had never noticed just how fast Mo is. He can really go. I wish he had more time.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

'PokeForLife wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 pm

I like your eight. I may switch Marshall and Lieberman, but otherwise like it a lot. I had never noticed just how fast Mo is. He can really go. I wish he had more time.
Yup. I've been saying for two years now I think Mo can really play. Mo to me obviously has a way higher ceiling that Lieberman. Sucks that things seem to be so political with this staff.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

'PokeForLife wrote:

With Adams, James Dalton and Herndon you have 4 guys who can handle the ball. Less emphasis on the 3 ball and more on going to the rim. Moemeka is an awesome rebounder and rim protector. Naughton needed to provide some security and beef in the middle. McManamen is much better when he has someone who can take it to the hole and kick it out (Josh Adams) or someone who draws the double team down low and kicks it out (Nance). It just really baffles me that Edwards hasn't figure his lineup out yet...

NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:49 pm
'PokeForLife wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Yup. I've been saying for two years now I think Mo can really play. Mo to me obviously has a way higher ceiling that Lieberman. Sucks that things seem to be so political with this staff.
This is the first year for Edwards and Mo has been injured in one form or another for much of this season, even dating back to pre-season practices. I really feel for him, but was so impressed by his ability to step in and contribute in a big moment despite not having had much playing time. Huge respect to Mo.

I would like to see more Mo, but more at the expense of Gorski (nothing personal) than Lieberman. I know everyone hates Lieberman, and I have been critical at times too, but we do need a little more ball handling on the floor than we would have if we are playing 3 wings.

I would probably build the rotation like this if it were me:

Starters:

Lieberman
JMac
James
Herndon
Naughton

Bench:

Dalton (first off the bench, basically his current role)
Adams
Marshall

I would make James the de facto PG when Lieberman has to sit. To me, that would be a solid core 8. Moemeka would be the extra body in the front court if needed for any reason.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

FarmerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:33 pm Student section fell of an absolute cliff when they changed the seating. I will grant that there have been some good student crowds at times, but I really miss the old seating layout with the students on the side of the court and right along the tunnel. Obviously with the court being turned that's no longer possible but still I hate how they have it laid out now for the students. Glad when I went to school we didn't have to sit behind the basket.
not that there really ever was but they took the intimidation factor away from them imo, when I was in school I wouldn't have had as much fun if we had to sit behind the basket neither, NOT a fan of the student section configuration anymore, maybe one of these years I will when it's full and at full throat, until then, NOT so much
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

FarmerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:33 pm Student section fell of an absolute cliff when they changed the seating. I will grant that there have been some good student crowds at times, but I really miss the old seating layout with the students on the side of the court and right along the tunnel. Obviously with the court being turned that's no longer possible but still I hate how they have it laid out now for the students. Glad when I went to school we didn't have to sit behind the basket.
I think there are two factors at work here. We gave them crappy seats after the reconfiguration. And the athletic department has become way to PC. They have had security come down on raucous chants or behavior. I remember the old days, nothing was off limits. We were despicable. We threw the Branding Iron onto the court after visiting team introductions, always had chants to target an opposing player or three. Just not any energy as the PC police have taken the fun out of it for the students.
billings
Ranch Hand

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:29 am
I think there are two factors at work here. We gave them crappy seats after the reconfiguration. And the athletic department has become way to PC. They have had security come down on raucous chants or behavior. I remember the old days, nothing was off limits. We were despicable. We threw the Branding Iron onto the court after visiting team introductions, always had chants to target an opposing player or three. Just not any energy as the PC police have taken the fun out of it for the students.

Not many remember the old field house days when students sat behind the opposing bench
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Cosmic would have loved the Field house. Great parties. :D
I don't post often due to incessant bickering, and my own ability to go off inappropriately, but now seems like a good time, so...
I thought at the beginning of the season our success would depend on our growth in matiurity: how to play well consistently as players and as a team. This would include Edwards as coach too, but I am less critical of him and the players singled out than most posters. We seem to be developing well, altho everyone needs to focus on reducing unforced turnovers, including James and Dalton.

Given the projection to finish last, I'll give Edwards the benefit of the doubt, even as to substitution patterns, as it appears this team is starting to jell. Give em hell pokes!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Well said.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.