Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

TSpoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:07 pm
Wyolie Coyote wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:44 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:03 am
wiley wapiti wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:00 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:23 pm
kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:35 am
LanderPoke wrote:He's the worst game day coach I've seen at Wyoming. If you can't master the simple task of identifying your best players and playing them then how can you master the finer aspects of the game?

JJ 14 min tonight is atrocious. Cody f@$%*ng Kelly played more. A 5'8'' walk on played more than your leading scorer and one of the most talented players in the conference. That's asinine. I'm done with him. We've got the talent to be contending and he's blowing it with these bullsh*t rotations. incredibly bad.
Then quit bitching and stop talking about him
Defend his reason for playing JJ 14 min then

So, to make sure everyone knows...THIS COMMENT THAT IS ABOUT TO COME IS SPECULATION AND ONLY MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea why JJ sits as much as he does, but being a coach, I can think of many reasons why a talented player is lacking playing time.

1. His attitude towards coaching (is he coachable)
2. Work ethic at practice
3. Work ethic in school
4. His attitude in general
5. etc......

Those are a few reasons I could think of...and I have done the same. I actually finished a game with 4 players because of foul problems and an attitude problem. Maybe JJ doesn't have any problems and coach just hates him, but I'm sure there is a valid reason why our best player is not playing the minutes most on here think he should. I just don't believe that Edwards could get to this level of coach being that inept. Doesn't make sense....
THIS + 1000

There are plenty of people on here that seem perplexed as to why JJ isn't playing more. I'm sorry, but to me it is VERY obvious at this point that his lack in playing time isn't a talent issue or a mental error on the coaches. It is a behavioral one. There is something going on here that we as fans don't have the inside info to, but the coaches are very aware of. I'm sorry LanderPoke, but to truly think that you know more than Edwards in regards to this is both insulting and ignorant. YOU DON'T KNOW THE WHOLE STORY. Neither do I, but to suggest that not playing him is solely based on rotation is absurd; something else is going on.
I call poop. Edwards has done this all season and it isn't isolated to JJ's time. Look at what he did with Adams just last week against Fresno. No, there is something that we don't know but has more to do with Edwards than JJ or any other player. His refusal to put Adams, Dalton and JJ on the floor at the same time should speak volumes.
And after the Fresno game there were people here claiming that Adams was going to give up on this team(or at least should) after his treatment at the hands of the staff and the playing time he got, then this game he came out on fire and played great. No signs of being upset. My point with that is that sometimes I think w as fans can make more out of some of thses things than the players themselves. Who knows.

As far as Edwards not playing Dalton, Adams, and JJ at the same time. He has stated he doesn't like playing JJ and Adams together. Or more accurately he made a comment when he moved to start Adams over Gorski that they liked having a slasher(Adams, James) on the courth with a shooter(Mcmanmen, Gorski) than stting with the 2 shooters then bringing in both slashers. I think that is solid reasoning. Not saying I would make the same moves but I understand why he does that.
I'm not disputing this was said or this is not true, but holy crap. Adams and James shoot better from three than any of the other guards. It's like Edwards doesn't notice what happens in the games or is so damn stubborn that he won't make an adjustment.

We wouldn't want guards out there that can do it all, slash and shoot. That would be too good. We don't want to be too good, we're Wyoming afterall.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Make a tourney run and then all this will be for naught!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

In his press conferences and interviews with the media I've never heard a guy say "at the end of the day" more than this guy, come on AE come up with something new to say, at the end of the day
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:12 am In his press conferences and interviews with the media I've never heard a guy say "at the end of the day" more than this guy, come on AE come up with something new to say, at the end of the day
Didn't someone used to say "And again..." over and over? Let's not pile on
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Lost Poke wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:15 am
stymeman wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:12 am In his press conferences and interviews with the media I've never heard a guy say "at the end of the day" more than this guy, come on AE come up with something new to say, at the end of the day
Didn't someone used to say "And again..." over and over? Let's not pile on
AHAHAHAHA The Mclain years...we used to make fun of that sooooo much back in my day at school. Remember his show??? "And again we just aren't making those shots" "And again if we make those shots its a different game" "And again if we just had an offense we might make more shots" ahahahahah :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Riding High!!!
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

I love Wyonation cooler talk :coffee:
No way this board doesn't have gripes if we don't win 20 games. If we don't win 20 games in the MWC though there are clearly things to work on. I think Edwards deserves multiple threads this year. Personally I will say I like the style of things he's tried to do, the team is often quite entertaining. Sometimes its def like this :brick: but there's still been some of this :banana:
Riding High!!!
Arthur Fonzerelli
Buckaroo

I'LL NEVER DO TOAD AGAIN!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:56 am I'LL NEVER DO TOAD AGAIN!!!
We are all relieved. :shock:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20Licking
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:36 am
Arthur Fonzerelli wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:56 am I'LL NEVER DO TOAD AGAIN!!!
We are all relieved. :shock:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20Licking

Made my day.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

I can't see 20 this year sorry, maybe 18, maybe
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

I am starting to actually wonder if UW hired the right guy. I hate being the negative guy on the board, but damn have we regressed as the season has gone on. There are way too many "head scratchers" from the bench this season for me not to think otherwise. My patience will be tested, as I am sure that we need 3 or 4 years to really see things clearly.
Dear Karma,

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:14 am I am starting to actually wonder if UW hired the right guy. I hate being the negative guy on the board, but damn have we regressed as the season has gone on. There are way too many "head scratchers" from the bench this season for me not to think otherwise. My patience will be tested, as I am sure that we need 3 or 4 years to really see things clearly.
Yeah we definitely seem to be going backwards. CSU on the other hand has lost a bunch of guys off their roster and are still playing their best basketball :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
While we hired from within, it's fair to call this a complete rebuild still in terms of style like we're seeing in football. Bohl has convinced me to give our coaches a few years to find the right type of player for their system, but the in-season regression is still disturbing...

One glimmer of hope is that we've got some (potentially) awesome guys coming in next year. Maldonado is an athletic freak and looks like he can play similar to Adams/James. Mack is a sniper from 3 and it's a safe bet more of those 30+ attempts will find the net with him shooting. He's playing against some elite competition now, so I don't think he'll struggle too much to find his shot in the MW like J Mac and Gorski did when they first got here.

Another thing I was thinking of... if Conway decided to stay with basketball, I'm pretty sure we'd be a top half team this year. He would without a doubt be one of the fastest guards in the conference and our transition offense would be so much better. Not an excuse for a 9th place finish, but something to consider...
Last edited by cali2wyo on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

One of the big issues I'm noticing is that our style is just kinda going all over the place. Remember early on when the team was just jacking up 3's and nobody was driving? Then they sort of switched, started to up the tempo, get to the rack more. Hell there was a few games were that's all they did. Last night was a lot more of that 3 point spread style that we saw at the beginning of the season with JJ and Adams driving. What really hurt the squad was the complete collapse of ball movement in the clutch. Yes it's ok for our slashers to go at the team, but when its not there move the ball, set screens, and make them work. This team isn't clutch at all right now.
Somewhere along the lines we lost that extreme gas tempo that they played against USC. Maybe they can't sustain it with the personnel? I'm not quite sure but the squad just hasn't pinned down an identity. I do think Dalton is hurt (this injury looks like its lingered for a bit) and that really disrupts a lot of what they're trying to do. I thought Edwards actually did really well with his lineups last night. I was watching with my dad and was telling him that they needed to pull Dalton early, he was just a shell and he was moving awkward. Edwards saw that and ran with the pieces he had. Kelly and Gorski really threw up some junk at some critical spots last night. That first half was just disappointing, the energy wasn't there. Someone said this is a team fail and I'd tend to agree. Live as a team, die as a team.
Riding High!!!
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Inconsistency from top to bottom with this team. From Edwards and staff, all the way through the players. Cali2wyo brought up a good point on Conway. Tend to forget about him because most everyone is tickled pink with what he brought to the football team with his dynamic ability and speed, but he was a gargantuan loss for the basketball team. Not saying we'd be contending for a championship with him obviously, but this team would be a lot better off with Conway's blazing speed running the point, and being a pest defensively. Sadly, water under the bridge at this point.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

For the first time, I actually have no complaints about Edwards lineups last night. Dalton had no business out there and it was so awesome seeing JJ and Adams on the floor together. I like this team SO much more without Lieberman or Kelley on the floor. That is harsh but the O seemed to work so much better. We made our runs without a PG and I hope its something we see more of going forward.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:14 pm For the first time, I actually have no complaints about Edwards lineups last night. Dalton had no business out there and it was so awesome seeing JJ and Adams on the floor together. I like this team SO much more without Lieberman or Kelley on the floor. That is harsh but the O seemed to work so much better. We made our runs without a PG and I hope its something we see more of going forward.
With the exception of Kelley being on the floor for 9-10 minutes and going 0 for 3 from 3-point land (whatever in the hell that was about), I agree. Put those 3 attempts in JJ's, Herndon's, or hell...even Jmac's hands, and we may have a different outcome.
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:14 pm For the first time, I actually have no complaints about Edwards lineups last night. Dalton had no business out there and it was so awesome seeing JJ and Adams on the floor together. I like this team SO much more without Lieberman or Kelley on the floor. That is harsh but the O seemed to work so much better. We made our runs without a PG and I hope its something we see more of going forward.
:thumb: yes. They just aren't high level D-1 ball players. It's OK. Not everyone is. Edwards should not feel compelled to play them a lot. 2-4 min for Kelly and 5-10 for Liebserman at most.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:27 pm
With the exception of Kelley being on the floor for 9-10 minutes and going 0 for 3 from 3-point land (whatever in the hell that was about), I agree. Put those 3 attempts in JJ's, Herndon's, or hell...even Jmac's hands, and we may have a different outcome.
Agree. The difference between winning and losing can be extremely slim. We can't afford not to give ourselves the very best chance to win by f'ing around with our lineups. Edwards has got to realize this by now. Hopefully last night he had an epiphany.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

I was talking to a couple CSU fans before the game, and asked them how they liked running a 7-man rotation. They all said they really like it. Now, this may be comparing apples to oranges because they are second in the conference so how could they say that they don't like it -- but they said that their guys don't ever seem to be running out of gas. I don't think that our guys would be so tired either... I really just wish I knew what was going through Edwards' head. In all honesty, we need to trim our rotation down by two or three players and it may not make a terribly huge difference who is left out as long as it isn't JJ or Adams. Probably Herndon as well since he's been playing such good defense.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

If we want to give ourselves the very best chance to win, we need to get a lot better at rebounding.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.