AA renovation...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

The more I look at inside of the AA renovation I wonder what they were thinking. I think they did a terrible job on the design on the seating. I looked at TCU ball arena and Clemson ball arena who had a design similar to the AA and they did a much better job with their renovations. I think the athletic department should have spent more money on the previous renovation instead of this outer part that is currently going on right now.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

I personally am fine with the reno in general. The real problem with the whole situation is all of the empty seats down in the lower bowl. I understand saving many of them for season ticket holders who pay big bucks, but after a certain minute mark they need to ditch the stupid event staff nazis and let anyone go down to an empty seat (not like my brothers and I don't do that anyway). We just don't have enough attendance to do that crap and it makes the whole arena look bad.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I know we've beaten the dead horse far too much, but that lower bowl with Yellow(empty) seats looks awful when empty on tv especially, eye sore, make those seats brown and yellow so it's not as bright, tacky. Also the students were there last night but they had NO energy as didn't the crowd til late. I don't get our fan base anymore is it hard to cheer and try to help our/your team or are you there just to play on your cell and every so often check what's going on in the game. The lower bowl wasn't designed with the basketball fan's interest in mind, sometimes louder at the library anyway. if there's a yellow seat say after the 8 min mark left in 1st half and later on, LET SOMEONE ELSE SIT THERE, what will it hurt
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:05 am The more I look at inside of the AA renovation I wonder what they were thinking. I think they did a terrible job on the design on the seating. I looked at TCU ball arena and Clemson ball arena who had a design similar to the AA and they did a much better job with their renovations. I think the athletic department should have spent more money on the previous renovation instead of this outer part that is currently going on right now.
Agree completely - good post.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:47 am I know we've beaten the dead horse far too much, but that lower bowl with Yellow(empty) seats looks awful when empty on tv especially, eye sore, make those seats brown and yellow so it's not as bright, tacky. Also the students were there last night but they had NO energy as didn't the crowd til late. I don't get our fan base anymore is it hard to cheer and try to help our/your team or are you there just to play on your cell and every so often check what's going on in the game. The lower bowl wasn't designed with the basketball fan's interest in mind, sometimes louder at the library anyway. if there's a yellow seat say after the 8 min mark left in 1st half and later on, LET SOMEONE ELSE SIT THERE, what will it hurt
Do people actually have a hard time getting down to the lower bowl. My seats are down there but I have never shown a ticket to anyone on my way to my seat. The first year of the remodel they were kinda hard asses but I haven't encountered that this year at all. Maybe I'm in a cool section(F) but I don't even bother with the ushers just walk by to my seat. Have also had others that didn't have tickets down there come down to sit by me with no issues.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

I win tickets all the time to sit low and EVERY time I'm asked to show them, I understand I don't go to every game, but come on if I know where I'm sitting don't ticket Nazi me all the time this isn't the 1st time I've been there and yes I was in F as well, guess it depends on who you get that evening, just loosen up a bit, if my ticket says I'm not spozed to be there why would I be there
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

I'm unable to attend hardly any games in person given where I live, but the few times I have been able to go since the remodel, I've been ticket checked walking into whatever section I'm sitting in every single game. Maybe if you're a regular, the staff get familiar with seeing you and don't check you, but in my experience, I always get ticket checked.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

in talking to my brother in law on the iron work for the entrance for the AA looking at 3-4 month project according to him
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Just have to act like you know what you're doing and do not make eye contact lol
Last edited by LanderPoke on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

What about this for a solution:

Tickets are scanned, so clearly they have a database of information...

So, UW announces to all season ticket holders, that if your seats are used less than 20% of the season (call it 4 games or less of a 16 game season), you lose them the following year. Now, season ticket holders could give them away, or donate them back to UW to give away (or re-sell) to avoid losing the seat(s), but at least there would be an ass in a seat more often than not.

Or is it just about the seat premium, ticket, and donor $$$ - and not how many empty seats there are every game in the AA????? Ya, probably.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:50 am Just have to act like you know what you're doing and not make eye contact lol
Exactly. I don't think it has to do with me being a regular. I have missed a couple games and have sat elsewhere a couple games(when a big group comes we find an empty spot somewhere up higher). When I walk in I just walk on by and don't even give them a chance to ask.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:23 pm What about this for a solution:

So, UW announces to all season ticket holders, that if your seats are used less than 20% of the season (call it 4 games or less of a 16 game season), you lose them the following year. Now, season ticket holders could give them away, or donate them back to UW to give away (or re-sell) to avoid losing the seat(s), but at least there would be an ass in a seat more often than not.

Or is it just about the seat premium, ticket, and donor $$$ - and not how many empty seats there are every game in the AA????? Ya, probably.
I would agree with this. I tried to buy another season ticket next to me for a friend but there was none available near my seats but no one ever sits there.
Maybe let them keep season tickets but let others have a chance to move into those seats and they will be forced to select new seats later.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Some type of ticket exchange program needs to be promoted. It's ridiculous that people have a hard time buying a lower bowl single game ticket. Actual attendance would increase if nicer seats were available for purchase on a nightly basis.
To your idea... I don't think the AD wants to create the possibility of losing high priced season tickets without the guarantee of re-selling them, but the owners of those tickets need to find ways to sell those tickets to people who are eager to go on a single-game basis. Maybe give a percentage of re-sold season tickets sales as a CJC auction credit or giftcard to Brown & Gold...
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

There is a ticket exchange program it just sucks ass. They only care about the donor dollars for the yellow seats. It is so depressing.

AA scheduled to be done before next season starts, so like end of Oct. Can't start working on inside stuff until season is over. We have to add this whole smoke evac thing for the entire concourse because the codes have changed so much.
Wyocowboyj
Buckaroo

cali2wyo wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Some type of ticket exchange program needs to be promoted. It's ridiculous that people have a hard time buying a lower bowl single game ticket. Actual attendance would increase if nicer seats were available for purchase on a nightly basis.
To your idea... I don't think the AD wants to create the possibility of losing high priced season tickets without the guarantee of re-selling them, but the owners of those tickets need to find ways to sell those tickets to people who are eager to go on a single-game basis. Maybe give a percentage of re-sold season tickets sales as a CJC auction credit or giftcard to Brown & Gold...
If you don't like it donate more money or continue to buy your season tickets and eventually get the seats you want. I have been a season ticket holder for 20 year in football and basketball. I had lived in Southwest Wyoming for 40+ years now I live in Western Colorado and I am unable to make it to a lot of the games, because of weather, work etc. So now you are telling me that if I can't use my tickets more than 20% of the game then I should lose them. It is the University of Wyoming not the University of Laramie, so what you are suggesting is only the people who live in the southeast corner of the state should be able to have seats in the lower 1/3? They are the only ones that can attend that many games. Over 50% of the games are during the week, I'm sorry I have a job. The group of us that have those seats and can't make it to every game are still doing more than our fair share to keep the lights on, pay the coaches salaries and provide scholarship money. I shouldn't have to pay a premium to sit in those seats and then have some ham and egger walk up to the ticket counter and be able to buy the same tickets at face value without compensation. I have been working for 20 years to gradually get better seating and now you suggest that all of my dedication gets thrown out the window because you can't sit where you want. I can guarantee that if the Athletic department came to me and said I didn't use my tickets enough and I will be losing them they wouldn't see another dime from me and I would bet that I wouldn't be alone. Now the one idea I do support would be at the 10 minute mark of the first half if there are empty seats being unused then they should be fair game to anybody but not until the 10 minute mark. I would also support the idea of a ticket exchange where you would get a B&G credit or something but that will never happen.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

For disclosure, we have seats in the first row.

My take has always been that anyone with kids should be allowed to move to empty lower bowl seats mid-way through the first half. I have had the opportunity to host various kids in our seats and they have an amazing time being close to the action and being able to interact with Pistol Pete. This has the effect of building lifelong Wyoming fans (the future generation of donors). I can tell you one story of a kid that didn't even like basketball or care for Wyoming athletics that became Josh Adams' #1 fan and a proud supporter of Wyoming.

I STRONGLY disagree with this silly idea of losing your tickets for low attendance. This would disenfranchise some of our biggest donors. Hell, Maury Brown's seats are empty at many games, you want to tell Maury and his family (after donating millions that) he should go sit somewhere else?

Overall: What a simple system that it would be to allow families to move to the lower bowl mid-way through the first half. I can tell you that there would be a lot more families attending games (the kind of people that currently can't afford to donate big money through CJC but may be able to do so in the future). I see no downside to this. In the event that someone arrives late and their seat is filled, they can kindly ask the people to move or go sit somewhere else nearby (I personally have done this).
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:09 pm For disclosure, we have seats in the first row.

My take has always been that anyone with kids should be allowed to move to empty lower bowl seats mid-way through the first half. I have had the opportunity to host various kids in our seats and they have an amazing time being close to the action and being able to interact with Pistol Pete. This has the effect of building lifelong Wyoming fans (the future generation of donors). I can tell you one story of a kid that didn't even like basketball or care for Wyoming athletics that became Josh Adams' #1 fan and a proud supporter of Wyoming.

I STRONGLY disagree with this silly idea of losing your tickets for low attendance. This would disenfranchise some of our biggest donors. Hell, Maury Brown's seats are empty at many games, you want to tell Maury and his family (after donating millions that) he should go sit somewhere else?

Overall: What a simple system that it would be to allow families to move to the lower bowl mid-way through the first half. I can tell you that there would be a lot more families attending games (the kind of people that currently can't afford to donate big money through CJC but may be able to do so in the future). I see no downside to this. In the event that someone arrives late and their seat is filled, they can kindly ask the people to move or go sit somewhere else nearby (I personally have done this).
That's not a solution IMO. Once I show up to a game I'm probably going to stay wherever I started sitting in my seats. I don't really care then about moving down. Families that have kids and wives and who knows what else in tow would be even less likely to go through the act of packing up all those people and jackets and moving again, with the outside chance they will have to move yet again if the actual ticket holder does show up late. Last home game I was given 2 lower bowl seats and sat down there. It was nice and enjoyable but without having the tickets I wouldn't want to go down there myself. If I had an opportunity to exchange tickets with someone who wasn't going I'd do it more often.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:10 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:09 pm For disclosure, we have seats in the first row.

That's not a solution IMO. Once I show up to a game I'm probably going to stay wherever I started sitting in my seats. I don't really care then about moving down. Families that have kids and wives and who knows what else in tow would be even less likely to go through the act of packing up all those people and jackets and moving again, with the outside chance they will have to move yet again if the actual ticket holder does show up late. Last home game I was given 2 lower bowl seats and sat down there. It was nice and enjoyable but without having the tickets I wouldn't want to go down there myself. If I had an opportunity to exchange tickets with someone who wasn't going I'd do it more often.
Ok, so the lazy people aren't moving down. It's literally less effort than getting up and getting concessions. That's fine, that is why it would be optional to move down for those families that would like to. Many of these families go to 1-2 games a year as an experience for their kids. Every kid that I have met would choose to move down and be ecstatic to get 'close to the action' given the choice.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

We should absolutely be catering to the kids. They are the future donors and fans. Get kids close to the action for cheap or free.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Wyocowboyj wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:18 pm I shouldn't have to pay a premium to sit in those seats and then have some ham and egger walk up to the ticket counter and be able to buy the same tickets at face value without compensation.
Wyocowboyj wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:18 pm Now the one idea I do support would be at the 10 minute mark of the first half if there are empty seats being unused then they should be fair game to anybody but not until the 10 minute mark.
So if season tickets go unused for a game, you are against the AD trying to sell those empty seats on a single-game basis (i.e. added revenue) but are in favor of people sitting in those seats without them paying for it?

I don't see why it's not possible for season ticket holders to inform the ticket office they won't be attending any given game and allowing the ticket office to offer those seats at a premium price for one night? If these tickets get sold then perhaps some type of compensation can be given to the original ticket holder.

This will fill up the lower bowl with passionate fans while at the same time ensuring the AD gets the expected revenue from those premium seats on a nightly basis.