Random thoughts on the CSU game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
.44caliberkiller
Blog Team

1. CSU starters outscored our starters 32-10 at halftime.

2. We finally got to see Adams and James play significant minutes together in the second half. In that time we closed the gap but it wasn't enough to get the win.

3. We only had one turnover the second half with James/Herndon/Adams as main ball handlers.

4. Dalton was awful and looked totally out of it. I'm guessing he has some injuries that are really limiting him.

5. I agreed with Edwards rotations for the most part and they actually seemed to make sense. My one issue was having James sit out the last 3min of the first half and the first few minutes of the 2nd half. That is too much game time without our best player on the court.

6. Cody Kelley had visions of his Gillette days late in the first half where he was jacking up three after three with little to no ball movement. I'm assuming this is why he didn't play in the second half.

7. Mcmanamen is a spot up shooter and clue guy. He really gets in trouble when he tries to play outside of himself. For example trying to drive against multiple defenders or trying fade away 18ft jumpers.

8. Gorski after missing the last few games and being 1-4 from the field should not be attempting possibly the biggest shot of game. But not only that but he completely forced it.

9. JJ and Herndon had very good games.

10. I've liked Moemeka every time I've seen him play. He plays with great energy and always seems to get lots of steals and blocks.

11. I hate to be that guy but it seems like we have been on the short side of the stick with the officials the last few games.

12. Adams has tons of potential but it seems like he's either going for the highlight reel dunk or flopping to get a call.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I even mentioned that when I saw it live last night, James and Adams playing together that was good to see the offense moves quicker and isn't as stagnant, Ref's sucked, Herndon lit a fire under him and Jason disappeared, Dalton was totally AWOL?? This team is so Dr. Jekyll Mr Hyde anymore, and that's not good at this point of the season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I agree so much that playing JJ with Adams is the way to go. Good move by Edwards! Having two threats to drive opens up JMac's game.

I hate our ''offense'' so much. 1/2 of our shots come from three? We are a poor 3 point shooting team. Maybe coach should tell them to stop shooting threes so much?This is why having two guys that can drive helps so much. We take fewer threes and it makes the defense work. When Lieberman, Kelly and Gorski are in there they don't do anything, but pass it around the perimeter. That's so easy to defend. We sure didn't miss Lieberman's and Kelly's ball handling or whatever they ostensibly do well.

Stick with JJ and Adams in at the same time.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

.44caliberkiller - great post. You hit a lot of points I thought about as well.

My other observations...

•Do we have an offense...do we have set plays? Jesus we looked like my 5th grade team out there at points last night (especially when we needed some points down the stretch).

•No matter the opponent, we are not going to win many games shooting 36% from the field, and 31% from 3 point land (32 attempts - ugh).

•Our rebounding sucks ass. Either play Shyatt ball, or don't, but this middle of the road crap has to go, it doesn't work.

•We were projected to finish last in the MWC, and that is pretty much how we are playing right now. I guess 9th place is better than 11th (thank you Rebels and Flyboys), but it still sucks. Of the remaining 4 games, we may squeak out the SJSU game. That puts us at 17 & 14, and 7 & 11 in MWC play.

•CSewe is now poised to win the conference. I just vomited on myself.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

My one rotation issue, since that seems to be the hot topic on here lately, is Naughton only getting 6 min. That said, I liked what I saw from Moemka
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

wyokoke wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:11 am My one rotation issue, since that seems to be the hot topic on here lately, is Naughton only getting 6 min. That said, I liked what I saw from Moemka
Moemeka has shown promise every time he's gotten some burn. We've gone round and round and round on this board disparing about player rotations with this coaching staff, but it holds true with Moemeka as well. He'll go several games in a row without seeing the floor, and then suddenly get quite a bit of time and look good, and then go several games without playing again.

Simply put, just incredible inconsistency from the coaching staff on playing time for most everyone on the team. One night Dalton can launch 3 after 3 after 3 and turn it over without repercussion. The next rides the bench. Inconsistency regarding accountability from top to bottom with this team and coaching staff. In general, seems like Jmac is the only one who is mostly immune to the "flip a coin" substitution patterns that seem to be employed, and maybe Herndon to a lesser extent. The rest of the team......... absolute crapshoot on playing time on any given night. Would make for interesting gambling trying to bet on playing time on a game by game basis. :D

In short, awful hard to get much continuity or long term rhythm established when the lineups are being jerked around literally constantly, and inconsistency from the coaching staff regarding playing time leaves players either trying to do too much, or fearful to do anything at all.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

FarmerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:42 am
wyokoke wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:11 am My one rotation issue, since that seems to be the hot topic on here lately, is Naughton only getting 6 min. That said, I liked what I saw from Moemka
Moemeka has shown promise every time he's gotten some burn. We've gone round and round and round on this board disparing about player rotations with this coaching staff, but it holds true with Moemeka as well. He'll go several games in a row without seeing the floor, and then suddenly get quite a bit of time and look good, and then go several games without playing again.

Simply put, just incredible inconsistency from the coaching staff on playing time for most everyone on the team. One night Dalton can launch 3 after 3 after 3 and turn it over without repercussion. The next rides the bench. Inconsistency regarding accountability from top to bottom with this team and coaching staff. In general, seems like Jmac is the only one who is mostly immune to the "flip a coin" substitution patterns that seem to be employed, and maybe Herndon to a lesser extent. The rest of the team......... absolute crapshoot on playing time on any given night. Would make for interesting gambling trying to bet on playing time on a game by game basis. :D

In short, awful hard to get much continuity or long term rhythm established when the lineups are being jerked around literally constantly, and inconsistency from the coaching staff regarding playing time leaves players either trying to do too much, or fearful to do anything at all.
I've yet to see a player afraid to do "anything at all". Gorski comes in and starts throwing up one off balance shot after another. Likewise Cody Kelly. I can't remember the last game Dalton hasn't thrown a lazy cross court pass that ends up going the other way for an uncontested layup. There is no discipline on this team regarding shot selection or passing or defensive assignments. I'm having HS flash backs.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Maybe the "anything at all" comment didn't fit very well, but essentially you wind up with players on offense who literally do nothing except pass the ball to the next guy on the perimeter, stand there, take a pass, pass it on etc etc, which leads to some of these terrible three point attempts we see. I agree with you on the discipline issue, but to me it all goes back to inconsistency, some games certain players can get away with anything they want, others, certain players are yanked immediately for one tiny miscue. inconsistency, inconsistency, inconsistency. Gives me flashbacks too.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Does anyone have a link for a replay of the game? Was out with the Mrs. for Valentine's Day and missed it
Dwalden1981
Buckaroo

My random thoughts are this. This team is terrible and the coach has no discerning offense that I can tell. It looks like Bucky McClain basketball to me.