Eustachy article alleges verbal abuse

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Found this part really interesting In Eustachy’s nearly five seasons at CSU, just one player, Joe De Ciman, signed with the Rams as a freshman and stayed for four years.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/ ... /97949522/
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

I just read it on msn.com. Doesn't make CSU look good at all!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Not great, Bob!
ImageImageImageImage
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Meh.

Anyone ever read Keith Van Horn's Majerus quotes on Twitter? Every once in a while he will tweet a bunch of things Big Rick used to say in practice. Let's just say that c-word was featured frequently in the vernacular.

Eustachy is an asshole, but so is Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Coach K, etc. It is a role that lends itself well to a megalomaniacal control freak with rage issues.

He must not be that bad to play for. He gets better players than we do and, now without Shyatt, he puts them in a better position to succeed than our coaching staff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him at UW, but unless CSU fans want to forfeit all these wins under his tenure they should shut the f up and enjoy the ride. They deserve to be at the bottom of the league and yet Eustachy has them near the top. Damn sheep, bunch of ungrateful c-word.

P.S. Despite just having a cameo in the article, Hair Thompson somehow comes out of it looking like a bigger asshole than Larry Esutachy. Impressive. That's the one they should be investigating, only for gross incompetence.

P.P.S. Sorry for any offensive language. Knowing CSU fans are celebrating their victory tonight after the devastating injury to Liv Roberts really has me worked up. Liv was kicking their ass.
.44caliberkiller
Blog Team

NowherePoke wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:58 pm Meh.

Anyone ever read Keith Van Horn's Majerus quotes on Twitter? Every once in a while he will tweet a bunch of things Big Rick used to say in practice. Let's just say that c-word was featured frequently in the vernacular.

Eustachy is an asshole, but so is Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Coach K, etc. It is a role that lends itself well to a megalomaniacal control freak with rage issues.

He must not be that bad to play for. He gets better players than we do and, now without Shyatt, he puts them in a better position to succeed than our coaching staff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him at UW, but unless CSU fans want to forfeit all these wins under his tenure they should shut the f up and enjoy the ride. They deserve to be at the bottom of the league and yet Eustachy has them near the top. Damn sheep, bunch of ungrateful c-word.

P.S. Despite just having a cameo in the article, Hair Thompson somehow comes out of it looking like a bigger asshole than Larry Esutachy. Impressive. That's the one they should be investigating, only for gross incompetence.

P.P.S. Sorry for any offensive language. Knowing CSU fans are celebrating their victory tonight after the devastating injury to Liv Roberts really has me worked up. Liv was kicking their ass.
He may get them better players, which I think is debatable but he certainly hasn't been able to keep them there.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

it's official this guy is bat poop crazy, there's a difference between being proactive and a teacher and then just a jerk overall, I truly think the game has passed this guy by, have another Diet Coke
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I bet a lot of coaches are like this.
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

As much as I would like to see anything CSU fail, this is what makes me upset:

Eustachy in his 5th year at CSU has compiled a 105-57 (.648) overall and 49-35 (.583) MWC record.

Shyatt managed in his last 5 year stint at UW a 98-69 (.587) overall and 37-47 (.440) MWC record.

Both managed an NCAA appearance and Eustachy still has the potential to get another NCAA bid this year.

There is no comparison on the likeability scale, but LOSING more the WINNING is not a positive attribute and unfortunately UW has been on the short end of the stick. The Shyatt recruiting effort during the period of time when such stellar players emerged in the program as Nance and Adams produced guys that had to be redshirted and cannot lead the team. One winning MWC season at UW now since 2002-03 and that was thanks to Shyatt. Like him or not, Eustachy has produced 3 winning MWC seasons.

The Eustachy guy may be not my choice, but as a fan I want to see my team win more games than they lose. Shyatt gets no adoring free ride in my viewpoint. Nice guy who chalked up a lot of disappointment and weak recruiting efforts to go along with a blip of success and now we have inherited his hand picked staff. Will anything change anytime soon?
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Didn't read the article, 'cause frankly I don't care. We knew Eustachy was a dick. This changes nothing.

But this is unfair:
PorkerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:17 am Eustachy in his 5th year at CSU has compiled a 105-57 (.648) overall and 49-35 (.583) MWC record.

Shyatt managed in his last 5 year stint at UW a 98-69 (.587) overall and 37-47 (.440) MWC record.
Eustachy came in after Miles, who had CSEwe on the upswing and left him with several good players who had already gelled as a team. Yeah, Eustachy kept most of them there and brought in good players of his own, but they've mostly underwhelmed in my opinion.

Shyatt on the other hand took over after the dumpster fire that was Heath Shroyer, and had to virtually start from ground zero. He built a program that developed players (Larry Nance, Josh Adams) and kept the right things in front (we've never had 3 guys declared academically ineligible). He restored a sense of decency, and managed to get a tourney win and NCAA appearance out of it. Shyatt brought Wyoming basketball back from the brink, and did what few of us thought was possible.

I'll take Shyatt over Eustachy every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Eustachy's record may be better, but I think we all know Shyatt is the better coach.

GO POKES!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 am I bet a lot of coaches are like this.
This.

I have no doubt there are a lot of college coaches that may appear calm on game day, but during the week are crazy assholes.

Case in point, Bo Ryan, former Wisconsin Head Basketball coach, was very mild mannered on gamedays, but during the rest of the week at practice, he was a raging asshole, constantly belittling and name calling his players. And he was considered by many to be one of the more "low key" coaches. I'm sure there are plenty out there that are like this.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 am I bet a lot of coaches are like this.
This.

I have no doubt there are a lot of college coaches that may appear calm on game day, but during the week are crazy assholes.

Case in point, Bo Ryan, former Wisconsin Head Basketball coach, was very mild mannered on gamedays, but during the rest of the week at practice, he was a raging asshole, constantly belittling and name calling his players. And he was considered by many to be one of the more "low key" coaches. I'm sure there are plenty out there that are like this.
I would bet money Edwards is in this same boat. He doesn't hold back cussing and yelling at the players in games, what's to stop him when nobody from the public is around...
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

wellpoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:20 am Didn't read the article, 'cause frankly I don't care. We knew Eustachy was a dick. This changes nothing.

But this is unfair:
PorkerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:17 am Eustachy in his 5th year at CSU has compiled a 105-57 (.648) overall and 49-35 (.583) MWC record.

Eustachy came in after Miles, who had CSEwe on the upswing and left him with several good players who had already gelled as a team. Yeah, Eustachy kept most of them there and brought in good players of his own, but they've mostly underwhelmed in my opinion.

Shyatt on the other hand took over after the dumpster fire that was Heath Shroyer, and had to virtually start from ground zero. He built a program that developed players (Larry Nance, Josh Adams) and kept the right things in front (we've never had 3 guys declared academically ineligible). He restored a sense of decency, and managed to get a tourney win and NCAA appearance out of it. Shyatt brought Wyoming basketball back from the brink, and did what few of us thought was possible.

I'll take Shyatt over Eustachy every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Eustachy's record may be better, but I think we all know Shyatt is the better coach.

GO POKES!
Eustachy
26-9 (11-5)
16-16 (7-11)
27-7 (13-5)
18-16 (8-10)
18-9 (10-4)
Inherited a 20 win team

Shyatt
21-12 (6-8)
20-14 (4-12)
18-15 (9-9)
25-10 (11-7)
14-18 (7-11)
Inherited a 10 win team
Take from that what you will
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Is Shyatt a better coach though? I think he's maybe a better game day coach, but a coach is judged ultimately on his W-L record, not whether he is a better recruiter or game day coach or fund raiser or whatever. What matters in wins and losses. Eustachy has had success everywhere he has been. He is a 2x Big 12 coach of the year I believe and also a national coach of the year. He has taken multiple teams to the tournament, and also has a much better W L record. Shyatt had a losing MW record here and did not have a successful period at Clemson. Eustachy may be an asshole to his players in practice but this article is nothing new. Anyone with half a brain who watches him during a game could tell that. Bottom line he wins.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:22 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 am
This.

I would bet money Edwards is in this same boat. He doesn't hold back cussing and yelling at the players in games, what's to stop him when nobody from the public is around...
The Troy game the night the power went out I had the opportunity to sit and the end of the bench to the right of the team, whoa boy did I get an education listening to the coaches players and exp AE on his team and the Refs, man, wanna talk about intensity, whooooo
TracyRingolsby
Buckaroo

PorkerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:17 am As much as I would like to see anything CSU fail, this is what makes me upset:

Eustachy in his 5th year at CSU has compiled a 105-57 (.648) overall and 49-35 (.583) MWC record.

Both managed an NCAA appearance and Eustachy still has the potential to get another NCAA bid this year.

There is no comparison on the likeability scale, but LOSING more the WINNING is not a positive attribute and unfortunately UW has been on the short end of the stick. The Shyatt recruiting effort during the period of time when such stellar players emerged in the program as Nance and Adams produced guys that had to be redshirted and cannot lead the team. One winning MWC season at UW now since 2002-03 and that was thanks to Shyatt. Like him or not, Eustachy has produced 3 winning MWC seasons.

The Eustachy guy may be not my choice, but as a fan I want to see my team win more games than they lose. Shyatt gets no adoring free ride in my viewpoint. Nice guy who chalked up a lot of disappointment and weak recruiting efforts to go along with a blip of success and now we have inherited his hand picked staff. Will anything change anytime soon?
But do take into at least a little consideration that Shyatt took over the mess created by his predesccor. Eustachy walked into a situation where he had a team headed to the NCAAs, his only one at CSU, and it had five seniors recruited by his predecessors.