Random thoughts on the Boise game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
.44caliberkiller
Blog Team

1. I can understand why Edwards felt Barnes deserved a chance to play, because he's a good kid and he works hard in practice. But like Clint Eastwood says on the movie Unforgiven "Deserves got nothing to do with it." This isn't junior high where everyone gets guaranteed playing time. I believe Barnes has the physical abilities to play but he lacks basketball acumen since he didn't start playing until he was like 17. During games he always looks lead footed and slow, but in warm ups he looks down right explosive. And him playing over Moemeka and Naughton hurt us against Boise.

2. Moemeka continues to show good flashes in his limited minutes, 5reb (2offensive)/1blk/1stl. He deserves to play more minutes.

3. Dalton looked a little better today but he still isn't playing with the same tenacity as he did earlier in the season.

4. The last few games we have been better with our turnovers. Today I'm not counting 2 of Adams travels or Lieberman's travel. I fail to see how those were traveling. However we do continue to have a few boneheaded turnovers every game (Lieberman passes to James when he's not looking/James passes the ball 3 feet behind Herndon at mid court with absolutely no pressure from the defense).

5. It would be nice to play a team that doesn't get double digit more free throw attempts than we do(USU 14/CSU 11/BSU 13). I understand that our 3pt oriented offense is a factor in us getting less calls, but we don't seem to be getting the whistles on the same % of our drive attempts as our opponents do. I just don't like to see a competitive game where the traveling calls are 4-0 and the same team shoots 13 more free throws (I understand some of those game at the end of the game when we fouled intentionally).

6. I hate to harp on the guy but Mcmanamen is killing us. I love the guy and think he is a solid contributor but he's missing far too many wide open three's. And for a guy who plays 35min a game, he just doesn't contribute enough in other areas when his shot isn't falling. It makes no sense that on a night He is 1-9 from three that he plays 37min.

7. It appears that Adams is getting more and more of Kelley's minutes which I think is a great thing. This forces Edwards to play Adams and James on the court at the same time. Adams had a very good game although he has a tendency to play out of control. He had 8reb/2blk, just goes to show what can happen when you play taller more athletic players.

8. James wasn't spectacular but he still should have played more than 24min.

9. We did a good job on the boards. We out rebounded them by 6, but even more importantly we limited them to only 5 offensive boards while we had 10.

10. We could have some very good rebounding lineup possibilities if Edwards ever chooses to use them. Adams/James/Herndon/Dalton/Moemeka/Naughton/Marshall.

11. It would have been nice to see if Austin Conway could have slowed down Paris Austin.

12. Boise will probably be picked to finish either 1st or 2nd heading into next year.

13. If we were winning I could see why Edwards would continue to bring James and Dalton off the bench, but since were losing I don't understand why he hasn't at least attempted inserting them into the starting lineup to change things up.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

That's a very well thought out post. A few comments regarding some of your points: first, the constant complaining about the officiating gets really old. You all sound like a bunch of parents at a 6th grade game who think their kid never commits a foul or who is always fouled when he/she shoots an airball. I haven't seen a game this year when I thought one team got an imbalance of bad calls. Wyoming fans are the most persecuted I've ever seen. It doesn't matter what sport, the refs are out to get us. Kind of pathetic.

Edwards is playing guys based on feel or on what goes on at practice. I can't say. It's clear he's given up on Naughton. The way this offense runs, you will see yesterdays result without fail. If we make the 3's, it looks great. When we miss, the ball goes the other way in a big hurry. Giving guys the green light to shoot at will like Jmac is a recipe to lose most games.

Back in the early 90's, we had one of the most talented teams ever to play in Laramie. We had Reggie Slater and Tim Breaux, 2 future NBA players. We had a guard named Maurice Alexander. In a game against New Mexico at the AA, he scored 50 points in one of the most amazing shooting exhibitions I've ever seen. The rest of the season he kept shooting as much as he wanted and the better players never saw the ball. The team tanked. My point is: the offense has to run through your best shooters. The other players need to know that they shoot only when it's absolutely necessary. Everyone on this team has the green light and only 3 or 4 of them should have it. James, Herndon, Adams and possibly Dalton and Gorski should take most of the shots. Everyone else should be setting screens or getting in position to rebound.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Went back and watched the highlights, amazing comeback by the pokes to get it down to 2 with about 20 seconds left when they had been down 10 or 12 with just around a minute left. Didn't have quite enough in the tank to come all the way back.
Beating the dead horse I realize, but the common theme in our losses continues to be players who aren't contributing on a given night, or playing detrimental basketball see the most minutes. Win as a team, lose as a team, but watching Jmac on the defensive end in the 2nd half on the highlights he'd be better served as an old west swinging saloon door, or getting a job as a matador. OLE'!!!!!! So many of Boise St's easy hoops were directly results of him getting completely obliterated off the dribble on the perimeter. Throw in that crispy 1-9 from the arc and there's the game in a nutshell.
Maybe next year...... maybe next year.......
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I was at the game, but it's hard to give a good summary since most of my energy was directed towards entertaining a toddler lol.

Some criticism of Edwards as an in-game coach should be taken back after he helped engineer the late comeback with smart timeouts, fouls, and offensive strategy. Even with no timeouts, he convinced the refs to go to the monitors and review the clock. That was a great move by a rookie HC to get his guys a free timeout on the road in a crucial moment.

Of course I'm disappointed we couldn't steal one on the road, but I was able to come home with my own team issued warm-up shirt, so that's a victory for me personally!
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

I would like to see Coach leave the players in the game that are playing well and have good chemistry. I know that changes every night, but if your winning or things look great, to make changes because some assistant says "oh this guy has played five straight minutes, should we sub him out?" I don't mind Dalton and James coming off the bench, it works, but James still has to be better with the ball. Still a little raw, but huge potential if he stays in Wyoming. Yes, he could bolt to a team closer to home with his resume now. Dalton, Lieberman and JMac are playing better, but wouldn't it be nice if everyone played one complete game at the same time against a good team? Lieberman has really played some of his best college ball the last four or five games. I ranted about the change yesterday because Boise State went on a 13-0 run with him out, put him back in and they pull within 2. What if they left him in and those guys in, we may have won the game, but you can't fall behind on the road by that much against a good team. You won't get the calls and your constantly playing catch up.

I like this team, but time is running out on the season to make a run in the MWC Tourney or even get into the NIT (probably a dream a this point). I think Wyoming could be one of those cinderella upset stories if they just play good and get a chance.

Sigh, couple games left to figure it out. Just don't want the team to get negative on themselves and continue to slide south into last place.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Just an observation, but I don't think this is a very "smart" basketball team. I don't mean book smart, I mean decision making ability during the game. I don't remember the exact amount of time left, but Dalton was near the free throw line during the furious rally at the end of the game. Pokes were down 4. Dalton put a move on his defender and broke towards the basket and there wasn't a defender within 10 feet...he had a wide open lane to drive and stuff the ball. Instead, he takes a dribble and throws a pass to the wing that was contested and tipped out of bounds. Pokes got the ball back, but he should have taken what he was given and then the team could contest the inbound pass to hopefully get a steal. I understand the pressure on these kids during the game, but damn, if they give you a wide open lane to the basket, take it instead of trying to set your buddy up for a 3. I've never seen a team that eschews taking an extra dribble and getting the ball closer to the basket than this bunch. If those 3's aren't falling, the result is pretty predictable. :deadhorse1:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

playing a zone when it wasn't working hurt us. I felt like the few times we were in a man we played a lot better. Being in a zone sure didn't stop them from getting into the paint and slaying us.

Why Edwards has to start crappy players is mind blowing. We had a lead at half time and he plays crappy players and we blow it. Good job, Edwards.

Oh, and JMac sucks. He needs to ride some pine. There are better options
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:28 am Back in the early 90's, we had one of the most talented teams ever to play in Laramie. We had Reggie Slater and Tim Breaux, 2 future NBA players. We had a guard named Maurice Alexander. In a game against New Mexico at the AA, he scored 50 points in one of the most amazing shooting exhibitions I've ever seen. The rest of the season he kept shooting as much as he wanted and the better players never saw the ball. The team tanked. My point is: the offense has to run through your best shooters. The other players need to know that they shoot only when it's absolutely necessary. Everyone on this team has the green light and only 3 or 4 of them should have it. James, Herndon, Adams and possibly Dalton and Gorski should take most of the shots. Everyone else should be setting screens or getting in position to rebound.
I think only two should have a full green light. James and Adams. I would definitely tell Herndon and Dalton to drive the lane and create for others. They are capable of that
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

davidwyo wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:10 am I would like to see Coach leave the players in the game that are playing well and have good chemistry. I know that changes every night, but if your winning or things look great, to make changes because some assistant says "oh this guy has played five straight minutes, should we sub him out?" I don't mind Dalton and James coming off the bench, it works, but James still has to be better with the ball. Still a little raw, but huge potential if he stays in Wyoming. Yes, he could bolt to a team closer to home with his resume now. Dalton, Lieberman and JMac are playing better, but wouldn't it be nice if everyone played one complete game at the same time against a good team? Lieberman has really played some of his best college ball the last four or five games. I ranted about the change yesterday because Boise State went on a 13-0 run with him out, put him back in and they pull within 2. What if they left him in and those guys in, we may have won the game, but you can't fall behind on the road by that much against a good team. You won't get the calls and your constantly playing catch up.

I like this team, but time is running out on the season to make a run in the MWC Tourney or even get into the NIT (probably a dream a this point). I think Wyoming could be one of those cinderella upset stories if they just play good and get a chance.

Sigh, couple games left to figure it out. Just don't want the team to get negative on themselves and continue to slide south into last place.
Uh pretty sure we gave up a 6 point halftime lead immediately with Lieberman in and his crappy defense. He got roasted by Paris Ausitn. Liebberman couldn't guard a tree stump.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

bladerunnr wrote:That's a very well thought out post. A few comments regarding some of your points: first, the constant complaining about the officiating gets really old. You all sound like a bunch of parents at a 6th grade game who think their kid never commits a foul or who is always fouled when he/she shoots an airball. I haven't seen a game this year when I thought one team got an imbalance of bad calls. Wyoming fans are the most persecuted I've ever seen. It doesn't matter what sport, the refs are out to get us. Kind of pathetic.

Edwards is playing guys based on feel or on what goes on at practice. I can't say. It's clear he's given up on Naughton. The way this offense runs, you will see yesterdays result without fail. If we make the 3's, it looks great. When we miss, the ball goes the other way in a big hurry. Giving guys the green light to shoot at will like Jmac is a recipe to lose most games.

Back in the early 90's, we had one of the most talented teams ever to play in Laramie. We had Reggie Slater and Tim Breaux, 2 future NBA players. We had a guard named Maurice Alexander. In a game against New Mexico at the AA, he scored 50 points in one of the most amazing shooting exhibitions I've ever seen. The rest of the season he kept shooting as much as he wanted and the better players never saw the ball. The team tanked. My point is: the offense has to run through your best shooters. The other players need to know that they shoot only when it's absolutely necessary. Everyone on this team has the green light and only 3 or 4 of them should have it. James, Herndon, Adams and possibly Dalton and Gorski should take most of the shots. Everyone else should be setting screens or getting in position to rebound.
When the announcers continually complain about MWC officiating it's a problem it doesn't matter what you think. Fact is this conference has some poop officials that make the entire conference look like poop for all teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

HOW bout instead of talking about a comeback, get it done, sorry, how I feel anymore, no more moral victories for me