Edwards

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

So what is Edwards trying to accomplish or prove by not starting the best players? It's baffling
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:19 am So what is Edwards trying to accomplish or prove by not starting the best players? It's baffling
He's trying to prove that he's different. That he's better. That he knows more than the other coaches. If he could just get good players his system would work. That what he's saying.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Edwards has tried everything except the obvious thing to do. Start Dalton and James. I don't get it.

I'd be happy and satisfied if for just one game Edwards started and played Dalton, James and Adams 30+ min. If we lose then Edwards could give all the naysayers and fans a big FU and go back to the crazy stuff he's been doing with his lineups.

Another gripe. Why does he pull hot players? Herndon was tearing the Broncos up in the second half and he gets pulled for some reason. Leave him in there, coach! If it was for rest, there was a really long stoppage in play.. there's his rest. Get him back in there. And how many times has Adams or Naughton been hot to start the game and boom they get pulled because Edwards has a pre-determined script (most likely scribbled on a 3x5 note card) he sticks to?
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:00 am Edwards has tried everything except the obvious thing to do. Start Dalton and James. I don't get it.

I'd be happy and satisfied if for just one game Edwards started and played Dalton, James and Adams 30+ min. If we lose then Edwards could give all the naysayers and fans a big FU and go back to the crazy stuff he's been doing with his lineups.

Another gripe. Why does he pull hot players? Herndon was tearing the Broncos up in the second half and he gets pulled for some reason. Leave him in there, coach! If it was for rest, there was a really long stoppage in play.. there's his rest. Get him back in there. And how many times has Adams or Naughton been hot to start the game and boom they get pulled because Edwards has a pre-determined script (most likely scribbled on a 3x5 note card) he sticks to?
I am not sure that starting Dalton is the obvious thing to do. Dalton has been pretty bad at times lately and depending on matchups, our scrawny frontcourt combo (Dalton/Herndon) is not always a no-brainer.

James though? He and JMac should switch minutes. James is the best player on the team and everybody except for Allen Edwards seems to realize that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

NowherePoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:43 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:00 am Edwards has tried everything except the obvious thing to do. Start Dalton and James. I don't get it.

I am not sure that starting Dalton is the obvious thing to do. Dalton has been pretty bad at times lately and depending on matchups, our scrawny frontcourt combo (Dalton/Herndon) is not always a no-brainer.

James though? He and JMac should switch minutes. James is the best player on the team and everybody except for Allen Edwards seems to realize that.
What's your opinion on Adams? I'd like to hear it, Nowhere. I respect your bball opinions a lot.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:48 am
NowherePoke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:43 am

What's your opinion on Adams? I'd like to hear it, Nowhere. I respect your bball opinions a lot.
Adams is a classic JC transfer scenario. You can see him struggling at times with the structure of the D1 game (one could argue we don't have a structure, but still...), but there is no denying the talent and athleticism.

To me, it almost seems like he turned a corner after being nailed to the bench in the Fresno State game. I am not big on a whole bunch of discussion regarding motivational tactics, etc., so I am not sure how much to assign his recent play to the episode, but in the three games since, he is averaging 15 ppg, 5 rpg in about 23 minutes/game. More importantly, I feel like we have seen flashes of what he can bring to the table on defense including some time guarding Clavell and his work on the defensive glass.

I have felt from the beginning of the year that his body language was overly negative at times, but that seems to be improving a little bit. I think it is a balancing act. Personally, I prefer players that have a little fire and emotion. It just needs to be channeled in a more productive direction. Josh Adams was a good example.

Obviously his biggest challenge is that he makes up his mind before he puts the ball on the floor what he is going to do (usually the answer is go all the way to the rim and let the chips fall where they may). He has tremendous finishing ability, but he hasn't really been able to translate that into opening up plays for others. That's what made Josh so good is he would head down the lane and if the defense commited he would drop it off to Nance/Cooke/Herndon for the dunk. Lou tends to attack through the contact. It puts the onus on the officals. Sometimes it gets you 18 FT's like it did against USU, but sometimes it just gets you turnovers. The other piece is he needs to focus on continuing the play. He sells the fouls pretty hard sometimes and ends up on the floor when the play continues.

The good thing about Adams, is that he is actually a pretty decent shooter. 35% from 3, 77% from FT. Not bad for an athletic/slasher type.

There are a lot of JC transfers that take a year or so to get acclimated and then really excel their senior seasons. It is my hope that we will see that from Adams next year. An experienced wing combo of Adams/James would be very difficult for opponents to deal with.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

I don't think we'll see much if any change the remainder of this season from how things currently are. Edwards and staff seem committed to the way they're doing things, and as much as I hate to say it because I love the kid and he's about to break Ewing's school record for three pointers in a career, but since this season the proverbial cart is tied to Jmac come hell or high water, I honestly think the team next year will be quite a bit better without him.
Ol Jason has had a heck of a career, much better than I thought he would when he came out of high school, and he's had some amazing moments that will live in UW basketball history, and when it's all said and done he'll have career 3 pointers all to himself which is an undeniably impressive accomplishment.

That said, Jmac's skill set is much more suited to being a catch and shoot role player, a role he's filled very well the last few years, particularly last season with one of the best creators the Pokes have ever had in Josh Adams setting him up. This season, as stated above, Edwards has hitched the proverbial cart to Jmac in that he's expected to be our number 1 offensive option and leader when his skillset just simply isn't designed to be "the guy". Next season the teams athleticism should improve a bit with Jmac graduating, and maybe the pieces will fit into the system a bit better than they do this year. That is of course unless the staff decides Aka Gorski will take Jmac's place and role of playing 37-40 minutes a game, in which case, next year will look exactly like this year.
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

This will be a hated post for sure, but here goes: Edwards has done a great job his first year. Nobody was giving him or this team any shot to look competitive. Everyone on this forum can attest that Wyoming has a chance in every game. I do love the up tempo offense and I think the defense is great with the old Shyatt players. Edwards big test is the next couple games and the MW Tourney. That will let us all know if he can really coach and deliver when it counts or on the big stage, just win.

And yes, I'm bi-polar, where is that Xanax?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

davidwyo wrote:This will be a hated post for sure, but here goes: Edwards has done a great job his first year. Nobody was giving him or this team any shot to look competitive. Everyone on this forum can attest that Wyoming has a chance in every game. I do love the up tempo offense and I think the defense is great with the old Shyatt players. Edwards big test is the next couple games and the MW Tourney. That will let us all know if he can really coach and deliver when it counts or on the big stage, just win.

I actually agree with you but I'll be the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

davidwyo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 pm This will be a hated post for sure, but here goes: Edwards has done a great job his first year. Nobody was giving him or this team any shot to look competitive. Everyone on this forum can attest that Wyoming has a chance in every game. I do love the up tempo offense and I think the defense is great with the old Shyatt players. Edwards big test is the next couple games and the MW Tourney. That will let us all know if he can really coach and deliver when it counts or on the big stage, just win.

I agree that we're far exceeding our media expectations. In that respect Edwards has done well. We'll see if Edwards can set us on a good trajectory. 2-3 years of solid improvement will have us in the top 3. I just feel we could be a top 1/2 team this year. Can't have your cake and eat it too if you're a Wyoming fan.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

davidwyo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 pm This will be a hated post for sure, but here goes: Edwards has done a great job his first year. Nobody was giving him or this team any shot to look competitive. Everyone on this forum can attest that Wyoming has a chance in every game. I do love the up tempo offense and I think the defense is great with the old Shyatt players. Edwards big test is the next couple games and the MW Tourney. That will let us all know if he can really coach and deliver when it counts or on the big stage, just win.

Media projected us to be 10th. We will finish either 8th or 9th. I don't see how we are exceeding expectations, pretty much right where most people expected. The frustrating part is the close games we have lost with a dysfunctional lineup on the floor during crunch time. Get your best scorers on the floor the last 5-10 minutes of a game and ride them till they drop. We aren't Kentucky with a bench full of McDonalds All-Americans. Got to ride those that we know can play at this level. And maybe start a game with your best lineup so we don't have a slow start and have to fight back to get into the game.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:26 am
davidwyo wrote:This will be a hated post for sure, but here goes: Edwards has done a great job his first year. Nobody was giving him or this team any shot to look competitive. Everyone on this forum can attest that Wyoming has a chance in every game. I do love the up tempo offense and I think the defense is great with the old Shyatt players. Edwards big test is the next couple games and the MW Tourney. That will let us all know if he can really coach and deliver when it counts or on the big stage, just win.

No - you're not the only one. Hard to judge a new head coach on his first year. It will take the next 2 or 3 years to see where Wyoming Basketball is headed with Coach Edwards.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

WYCowboy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:48 am
Wyo2dal wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:26 am

No - you're not the only one. Hard to judge a new head coach on his first year. It will take the next 2 or 3 years to see where Wyoming Basketball is headed with Coach Edwards.
Add one more. I think Edwards has potential to be a very good coach but we won't know for certain for a couple years. I like the system we are running but it is obvious when they built this team and the system it was based on the fact that we had a lot of shooters(just like last year we shot a lot of threes but at a slower pace so it wasn't as obvious) but our players haven't been shooting like they thought they would. I think they are trying to drive more lately but still rely too much on the 3. I will say that if JMac shot close to what he was shooting last year we would have a decent number of more wins so I can't fault the strategy too much. Will be interesting to see the team next year with everyone a year older and not really losing anything. Think JJ may finally grow into the team leader(which is one thing I think this years team is missing, a guy that can rally the team around him and lead them). Even if this team is a dissaopintment after the start of conference play I am still excited for the future of the program.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I am not sure anyone has outright said Edwards is a "swing and a miss" and that we need to cut bait and try again. While I have been as hard on him as any, I absolutely think the deserves 3 season to implement his system before we even think about a change. He has show glimpses of being a really great coach. He has also shown glimpses of an egomaniacal dictator hell bent on reinventing basketball. I think as he gains experience it will even out and the true coach will begin to show through. We gave Shroyer 4 seasons, Edwards better get the same chance.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:20 am I am not sure anyone has outright said Edwards is a "swing and a miss" and that we need to cut bait and try again. While I have been as hard on him as any, I absolutely think the deserves 3 season to implement his system before we even think about a change. He has show glimpses of being a really great coach. He has also shown glimpses of an egomaniacal dictator hell bent on reinventing basketball. I think as he gains experience it will even out and the true coach will begin to show through. We gave Shroyer 4 seasons, Edwards better get the same chance.
Good post, and I agree, Edwards is going to need some time (and patience from the fan base). With the class coming in next year, etc., I expect a very positive step.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I haven't seen too many glimpses of him being a great coach, but he can learn and get better. I think he's done less with more. 3 more years. Why not?
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:42 am

I agree that we're far exceeding our media expectations. In that respect Edwards has done well. We'll see if Edwards can set us on a good trajectory. 2-3 years of solid improvement will have us in the top 3. I just feel we could be a top 1/2 team this year. Can't have your cake and eat it too if you're a Wyoming fan.
Honestly I've seen quite a few games this year against the top teams in the league. I feel like we were outgunned against Nevada. SDSU would give us TROUBLE on any court this year, same goes for Fresno. Didn't see the New Mexico game but I hope I get to catch this next one, but they seem like a toss up. UNLV even gives them trouble. CSU as well. I just don't think this team is quite there. Yes they COULD beat all those squads with great coaching (rotations on, prepartion, switching D's, X's and O'S) but I feel like the players have let the season down more then the coaching. Even in terms of athletic/technical match ups it just seems like a razors edge to win that is slightly tilted in these other teams favor (I'd say they tend to be slightly more athletic, slightly better shooters, and have seasoned long term coaches for the most part).
I watched the last few games with my dad here in WYO and he was pretty happy with the coaching. I have been too. Did you like seeing the team switching out of man and zone then to the press when things go to poop? Mixing it up on them and making adjustments. He commented on when the team never used to even do that. I remember those years too! I do think Edwards is learning on the job but that's how it goes. I'm pretty happy with this year even though it sux. This team is still easier on the eyes then in many years past, but extremely frustrating as well. Often when the camera pans to Edwards pissed on the sideline I feel bad for him because I don't even know what I'd do. Feel like there's only 6 crunch time players on this squad right now and even they tend to f-word up at horrible times.
Riding High!!!
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Oh yeah forgot you could tack Boise St onto that list above too! The real bummer is that none of these MWC teams are really that impressive other then Nevada from what I've seen. Like I said they all just look slightly more cohesive/clutch then the Pokes. Someone posted that this next stretch of games is where we really see what Edwards is made of. I'd agree. It's going to be hard to rally this team back for one more run on this season but I'd love to see them win 2 out of 3 or 3/3 to end the season. Winning 2 games in the MWC tourney would make me feel a lot better about things as well. That seems doable but kind of a tall order too.
Riding High!!!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:41 am

Media projected us to be 10th. We will finish either 8th or 9th. I don't see how we are exceeding expectations, pretty much right where most people expected. The frustrating part is the close games we have lost with a dysfunctional lineup on the floor during crunch time. Get your best scorers on the floor the last 5-10 minutes of a game and ride them till they drop. We aren't Kentucky with a bench full of McDonalds All-Americans. Got to ride those that we know can play at this level. And maybe start a game with your best lineup so we don't have a slow start and have to fight back to get into the game.
I get tired of reading it, and I've said myself, but "the we were picked last and are exceeding expectations" line sounds like what a 4th grade teacher says to the fat kid who finishes last in the 50 yard dash. It should never be okay to be picked last, especially in a league as awful as this one is this year. We've seen the total collapse of Vegas and a much weaker than normal SDS team. We've lost a number of home games to less than stellar competition. Watching this team collapse in the second 1/2 of many games is heath schroyeresqe.

That said, I don't see how you can tell much about Edwards with this team. There really is'nt much there, talent wise. What disturbs me, however, is the team seems to be getting worse as the season progresses. Players that needed to develop, Naughton in particular, have basically been given up on.
Other players seem to have no discipline regarding shot selection or taking care of the ball. That's where I would expect coaching to play a prominent role.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:11 pm
Wyolie Coyote wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:41 am

I get tired of reading it, and I've said myself, but "the we were picked last and are exceeding expectations" line sounds like what a 4th grade teacher says to the fat kid who finishes last in the 50 yard dash. It should never be okay to be picked last, especially in a league as awful as this one is this year. We've seen the total collapse of Vegas and a much weaker than normal SDS team. We've lost a number of home games to less than stellar competition. Watching this team collapse in the second 1/2 of many games is heath schroyeresqe.

That said, I don't see how you can tell much about Edwards with this team. There really is'nt much there, talent wise. What disturbs me, however, is the team seems to be getting worse as the season progresses. Players that needed to develop, Naughton in particular, have basically been given up on.
Other players seem to have no discipline regarding shot selection or taking care of the ball. That's where I would expect coaching to play a prominent role.
Well said!!