Is it time for Legerski to.....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 am God forbid anyone have an opinion about anything that may ruffle the status quo. Do so, and you get blasted for it. What a deal.

There has to be another Wyoming Message board available to Wyoming fans that don't want to think outside the everlasting paradigm of just being "good enough." A board that also affords fans the opportunity to just blindly agree with everything that is said by every poster. Hmmmm.
Oh come on now. We just lambasted the men's program for 11 pages. I don't think anyone is settling for mediocrity around these parts.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 pm Isn't MWC a one bid conference every year since there's only 32 teams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh? The women's tournament has 64 teams and it has been that way for a long time. The MWC is usually relatively terrible.
Maybe I've just always thought that it could easily be an 8 team playoff became women's hoops is so top heavy. I'd be curious to know what the lowest seed to win in the last two decades was. But I'm too lazy to check

W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:10 am
OrediggerPoke wrote:
laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 pm Isn't MWC a one bid conference every year since there's only 32 teams?
Huh? The women's tournament has 64 teams and it has been that way for a long time. The MWC is usually relatively terrible.
Maybe I've just always thought that it could easily be an 8 team playoff became women's hoops is so top heavy. I'd be curious to know what the lowest seed to win in the last two decades was. But I'm too lazy to check
The lowest seed to win the women's national title......# 3 seed and that only happened TWICE!!!!

North Carolina in 1994
Tennessee in 1997

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Divi ... #Low_seeds
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Mediocrity is something the Wyoming program only knows how to deal in/with, soooo sad
wyoair
Ranch Hand

The thought process of many fans and most importantly those in charge, has always come down to in regards to coaching hires "who are we going to get that's any better". So that could be a big reason for mediocrity as a measure of success for the admins.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 am
McPeachy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 am God forbid anyone have an opinion about anything that may ruffle the status quo. Do so, and you get blasted for it. What a deal.

There has to be another Wyoming Message board available to Wyoming fans that don't want to think outside the everlasting paradigm of just being "good enough." A board that also affords fans the opportunity to just blindly agree with everything that is said by every poster. Hmmmm.
Oh come on now. We just lambasted the men's program for 11 pages. I don't think anyone is settling for mediocrity around these parts.
My post went a little over your head...and really was only intended for a few posters, that are good enough with "good enough". We have plenty of fans that settle for mediocrity, as that is largely what we have had at UW for 30 years.

That said, I wouldn't change anything with the women's program at this time. Nothing. But it angers me to hell and back, when our primary competition down south goes from being mediocre for 11 years (including one year at 4 & 28 and 0 & 16 in MWC) to winning the last 4 consecutive regular season championships, and one MWC tournament championship.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Sometimes the evil you know is better than the evil you don't know. Joe is a good coach. He has taken the girls teams to some great heights. I think the last sell out of the AA - and probably most of the records for attendance in the last 15 years - are because of that 2007 girls team.

He has had his ups and downs. He hasn't been able to hit his 2007 stride in a while. I think he will. If not, he'll still keep us respectable.
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

at the very least his teams pass the basketball and work to find open looks instead of just jacking up terrible 3-pt attempts
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

I agree we should be able to discuss the option but Legerski come on he is the winningest coach in our program history. Has led his teams to the postseason every other year including the programs only NCAA tournament bid. He has only had 3 losing seasons in his 13 years and has 8 20 win seasons.

My question is if you want to make a change who are you going to get that is better? In my opinion he has done more for Cowgirl Basketball than anyone and if it were up to me I'd give him a lifetime contract.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

thirtyseven wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:42 pm

I agree we should be able to discuss the option but Legerski come on he is the winningest coach in our program history. Has led his teams to the postseason every other year including the programs only NCAA tournament bid. He has only had 3 losing seasons in his 13 years and has 8 20 win seasons.

My question is if you want to make a change who are you going to get that is better? In my opinion he has done more for Cowgirl Basketball than anyone and if it were up to me I'd give him a lifetime contract.
The folly of such a statement defies explanation.

Two names- Sonny Lubick, Joe Paterno.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:06 pm
thirtyseven wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:42 pm

The folly of such a statement defies explanation.

Two names- Sonny Lubick, Joe Paterno.
Please explain... also we are talking about womens basketball not football. Look at the attendance since Legerski he is in the top 30 in the nation last time I looked and is probably bringing in money to the University in a sport that normally is in the red for most schools especially in the MW.
Wyofan1
Buckaroo

Move on. Mediocre coach at best. This young team excuse has got to stop, it’s not like they’re playing 5 freshmen out there. Coach of the year? That’s solely based on the record- they got lucky and won some games they shouldn’t have, mainly because the other teams beat themselves. The once again first round loss in the conference tournament should be a prime example of why he should just go. It looked like he just gave up that game because he can’t make adjustments and didn’t know what to do. Liv Roberts injury has not affected them because you can plop any player in to that offense and get the same result- no ball movement, the ball sticks, the forcing up bad shots late in the shot clock and passing up great shots early in the shot clock so they can run his “motion” offense, which usually doesn’t do anything except satisfy his ego. Legerski’s teams set women’s basketball back about 50 years. Women are incredibly athletic today and he’s got some athletes on that team but they hardly ever play, and when they do, you can tell they’re hesitant to try anything that deviates from the script. They all look like puppets, not players. I guarantee you take any other coach with that group of girls that just lets them go out and play basketball, and you’ve got a team that goes deep in to the NCAA tourney. The cowgirl fan base and great state of Wyoming deserves better than the NIT (Not Invited Tournament).
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

They do run some motion offense but mostly they run a flex offense which is very scripted. We will have to disagree b/c Legerski is a good coach. Let me ask what are your expectations of the WBB program or the MBB program for that fact?
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Wyofan1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10 am Move on. Mediocre coach at best. This young team excuse has got to stop, it’s not like they’re playing 5 freshmen out there. Coach of the year? That’s solely based on the record- they got lucky and won some games they shouldn’t have, mainly because the other teams beat themselves. The once again first round loss in the conference tournament should be a prime example of why he should just go. It looked like he just gave up that game because he can’t make adjustments and didn’t know what to do. Liv Roberts injury has not affected them because you can plop any player in to that offense and get the same result- no ball movement, the ball sticks, the forcing up bad shots late in the shot clock and passing up great shots early in the shot clock so they can run his “motion” offense, which usually doesn’t do anything except satisfy his ego. Legerski’s teams set women’s basketball back about 50 years. Women are incredibly athletic today and he’s got some athletes on that team but they hardly ever play, and when they do, you can tell they’re hesitant to try anything that deviates from the script. They all look like puppets, not players. I guarantee you take any other coach with that group of girls that just lets them go out and play basketball, and you’ve got a team that goes deep in to the NCAA tourney. The cowgirl fan base and great state of Wyoming deserves better than the NIT (Not Invited Tournament).
Wow. You honestly think that we have good enough athletes to get deep in the NCAA???? I feel like posting the Happy Gilmore quote that ends with "...we are now all dumber for having listened..." to you. Don't know if you watched the game against Seattle U on Thursday, but those girls were significantly better athletes than were ours, and we dismantled them because we have a coach.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Wyofan1's first post. And a doozie.

W-Y, Until I Die!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:02 pm Wyofan1's first post. And a doozie.

It has to be in the running for dumbest post of the year. If there is a legit criticism of Legerski it is the opposite. We do not have the athletes to go deep in the NCAA (a depleted 12-19 bottom half PAC-12 team clearly had more size and athleticism than we do). The ceiling is low-ish because we have to win with execution.

Legerski did a great job this year. I would give a minor appendage to have a men's team that wins as consistently as his group does.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Wyo fans love mediocrity. Joe has done a good job here, but he has been here a long time and it has been 10 years since the NCAA tournament. I think next year is a big year. I think with his returning experience he should get to the NCAA tournament. If not I think a mutual parting of ways would be beneficial to both him and the wyo. He just has been here too long. It just amazes me how wyo fans get butt hurt when you question their mediocre standards. We need to raise our expections for everything. Women's basketball should be easier to get to NCAA tournament than men's.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

being satisfied with 2nd in conference isn't what I'd call mediocrity. Sure, they could have had a better finish but you don't get rid of a great coach for an unknown

W-Y, Until I Die!
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Mediocrity... in my opinion, until the cowgirls start performing worse than most of the sports we have at UW, Legerski can stay. Except for wrestling (and possibly tennis, golf, swimming -- I'm honestly not too up on some of those sports so I'm not sure) the cowgirls have been our best sport for quite a while. I'd bet that everyone would be jumping for joy if the guys got NIT invites as often as the girls.