Is it time for Legerski to.....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Move on? He has been a good coach for the girls, but sometimes I things a Change can be good for both the university and the person. I know he has some good returning players next year, but if they underachieve I think its a situation burman should consider. I am not comparing him to Steve Spurrier, but when he was asked why he was resigning at Florida, he said 12 years at a place is long enough.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

No way. Just because he can't win in the tournament this year does not mean that he won't figure it out. Look at the Chargers for a case study on this. Marty Schottenheimer won the division 50% of the time and got to the playoffs every year. He never made it to the Super Bowl, though, so he got canned. They haven't been worth a damn since.

Moral of the story: If you've got a good coach keep them around. They'll probably be 10x better than the next one you hire.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

It's women's basketball. I wouldn't change a thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 pm It's women's basketball. I wouldn't change a thing

Agreed.

Unless Beth Burns wants to leave USC as an assistant and move to the mountains. Plus, she would love to stick it to SDSU every year (although financially she already does / did).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I have thought the same thing, I don't know I can watch chick ball at all, so I'm the wrong person to ask, but I think it's over his head, imo, but time will tell, you can get all the COTY's but you have to get them to the tourney once in awhile...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

No way. I'll take 2nd place finishes
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Coach Edwards Just Saved Coach Legerski's ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dear Karma,

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 pm Coach Edwards Just Saved Coach Legerski's ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
might be right
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

This is one of the most asinine topics I have read on here. Are you serious?

He just had a very young team set the program record for conference wins in a season. A team that lost its best player to injury late in the year and found a way to fight through that to secure an outright second place finish in the league.

They will be really good next year and potentially contend for a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

Legerski graduates his players, is recruiting at a pretty high level considering the constraints that come with coaching at Wyoming and had his team accomplish something pretty dang impressive this season.

Joe Legerski should be able to go out when he wants to. Hopefully that is not for a long time.

Good grief.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

This thread is a joke! Legerski was MWC coach of the year and deservedly so.

This team was picked 7th preseason and finished 2nd. There was no way this team was going to win the tournament without Liv Roberts.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

I'm not big on finishing second. Maybe Oredigger and HOTR are. The coach down south comes in and wins conference titles and legerski has not won one. Again some fans expectations should be a little higher, not happy with finishing second and lower for 12 years or so. Next year the cowgirls will finish second or 3rd again and not make the NCAA tournament. Lets bet on that?? Oredigger HOTR?? Womens teams always graduate players.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WyoVaquero wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm I'm not big on finishing second. Maybe Oredigger and HOTR are. The coach down south comes in and wins conference titles and legerski has not won one. Again some fans expectations should be a little higher, not happy with finishing second and lower for 12 years or so. Next year the cowgirls will finish second or 3rd again and not make the NCAA tournament. Lets bet on that?? Oredigger HOTR?? Womens teams always graduate players.
I'm sure you were on the fire Joe Tiller bandwagon too.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

I loved tiller. That was a huge mistake letting him go. Lets bet a t-shirt from the brown and gold. Cowgirls finish 2 or 3 and miss NCAA tournament next year.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:48 pm I loved tiller. That was a huge mistake letting him go. Lets bet a t-shirt from the brown and gold. Cowgirls finish 2 or 3 and miss NCAA tournament next year.
How about this wager: Cowgirls finish with a higher conference winning percentage than the Men's BB team AND the FB team next year. Are you willing to take Edwards/Bohl on that side of the wager? I will take Legerski.

It's a safe bet on my part considering Joe's Cowgirls have finished with a better MWC record than the men in 12 of his 14 seasons I believe (I might be off by one or so).
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

I will take the bet with cowboy football vs the girl hoops conference winning percentage.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

Isn't MWC a one bid conference every year since there's only 32 teams?

W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 pm Isn't MWC a one bid conference every year since there's only 32 teams?

Huh? The women's tournament has 64 teams and it has been that way for a long time. The MWC is usually relatively terrible.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

WyoVaquero wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:41 pm I will take the bet with cowboy football vs the girl hoops conference winning percentage.
I'd lean towards betting on the Cowgirls. That being said it'd be nice if Joe figured out how to win a game in the conference tournament.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WyoVaquero wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:48 pm I loved tiller. That was a huge mistake letting him go. Lets bet a t-shirt from the brown and gold. Cowgirls finish 2 or 3 and miss NCAA tournament next year.
The knock on Tiller was that he never did win the WAC and, prior to his final year, his career record at U.W. was about .500.

The point here is that sometimes good teams don't win the whole thing at the end. Some of the best teams in history lost one game--but at the wrong time. Coach Tiller was good and he had good teams. Coach Legerski is good and he consistently fields good teams. That is the formula for occasionally putting it all together and winning championships from time to time. We can't lose sight of that.

Constantly running out of patience and hitting the reset button to go back to rebuilding mode is certainly not a formula for winning consistently. Our men's teams have proven that over and over again.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

God forbid anyone have an opinion about anything that may ruffle the status quo. Do so, and you get blasted for it. What a deal.

There has to be another Wyoming Message board available to Wyoming fans that don't want to think outside the everlasting paradigm of just being "good enough." A board that also affords fans the opportunity to just blindly agree with everything that is said by every poster. Hmmmm.
Dear Karma,