Wyoming vs UKMC Game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 pm This team doesn't value the basketball. At all. Biggest frustration with this team this year.

Edwards is probably partly to blame, but players have to be smarter. Smarter shots. Smarter passes. Smarter decisions.
Exactly what I was thinking. This is one of the worst passing teams I can remember in my 60+ years of watching the Cowboys. At times it looks like a complete lack of focus by multiple players at the same time.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

We have to play better next game or it will be the last game.

Better passing and better shot selection. It's like half the time the team just doesn't see the wide open lane and what would have been a simple dunk the last few years is completely neglected this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Someone also needs to introduce these kids to the weight room.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

I'm really not sure how in the hell Aka Gorski gets any minutes. Got a bunch tonight. He brought absolutely nothing to the table tonight
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

Aka, Dalton, Kelly, Adams, Naughton didn't do anything for the team tonight. It was all Herndon, James, Lieberman, some Jason and Moemeka. Need 3 complete games from the Pokes to win the CBI.

For the record, NM State beat UKMC and was in the Tourney, but lost to Baylor who is in the Sweet 16. If our Pokes could play consistently night in and night out they would've had a much better season, but still, I'm impressed where they are. After Josh Adams and Coach Shyatts departure, everyone thought this team was in a rebuilding mode. Edwards has 20 WINS for the season, so, lets give him some credit - it seems like everyone is doing a pile on and the guy has us in the Final Four of the CBI (yes, its the CBI for you elitist that only want the NCAA Tournament, but I would take a CBI and NIT title every year over a blow out in Seattle in the NCAA or did we forget we blew it a few years ago?).
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

davidwyo wrote:Aka, Dalton, Kelly, Adams, Naughton didn't do anything for the team tonight. It was all Herndon, James, Lieberman, some Jason and Moemeka. Need 3 complete games from the Pokes to win the CBI.

For the record, NM State beat UKMC and was in the Tourney, but lost to Baylor who is in the Sweet 16. If our Pokes could play consistently night in and night out they would've had a much better season, but still, I'm impressed where they are. After Josh Adams and Coach Shyatts departure, everyone thought this team was in a rebuilding mode. Edwards has 20 WINS for the season, so, lets give him some credit - it seems like everyone is doing a pile on and the guy has us in the Final Four of the CBI (yes, its the CBI for you elitist that only want the NCAA Tournament, but I would take a CBI and NIT title every year over a blow out in Seattle in the NCAA or did we forget we blew it a few years ago?).
I'm with you I've given Edwards all the credit I could and I've taken poop non stop for it.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Vt poke wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 pm I'm really not sure how in the hell Aka Gorski gets any minutes. Got a bunch tonight. He brought absolutely nothing to the table tonight
+1 Aka Gorski is so poop. How can he ever play more than Lou Adams. mind blowing

The fact that Moemeka has been playing a lot and tearing it up is great, but pisses me off, too. Why hasn't he been playing all year? Terrible job by Edwards to not be able to see that.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

davidwyo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm Aka, Dalton, Kelly, Adams, Naughton didn't do anything for the team tonight. It was all Herndon, James, Lieberman, some Jason and Moemeka. Need 3 complete games from the Pokes to win the CBI.

imo Edwards had the players to construct a tournament caliber team, but blew it. Really one of the worst coaching jobs I've seen at Wyoming.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
davidwyo wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm Aka, Dalton, Kelly, Adams, Naughton didn't do anything for the team tonight. It was all Herndon, James, Lieberman, some Jason and Moemeka. Need 3 complete games from the Pokes to win the CBI.

imo Edwards had the players to construct a tournament caliber team, but blew it. Really one of the worst coaching jobs I've seen at Wyoming.
There is no way this team was championship caliber. They are still showing how young and how much room they need to grow but these CBI games are definitely helping them and if they keep winning next year they will be poised to make an emphatic statement in the league.

Problem is winning the CBI bar was set by Nevada and winning it will set high expectations for next season.

Vt poke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 pm

We think eerily alike. I have been saying for months that Moemeka is a force. That kid will be a beast with a couple more birthdays. Time to do some more shopping in Florida. James and Moemeka are studs
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Vt poke wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:44 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 pm

We think eerily alike. I have been saying for months that Moemeka is a force. That kid will be a beast with a couple more birthdays. Time to do some more shopping in Florida. James and Moemeka are studs
Yes. AE would have won 4-5 more games just by playing the right players notwithstanding his hideous offensive strategy.

Anyone notice that Lieberman got big minutes and we looked not nearly as good as the last game when Adams and James played a ton together? Our offense is crippled when Lieberman is out there. Plus I think a tree stump could rebound better. Liebs can't stay in front of a defender, either, it's just a parade into the lane every time. I swear AE is blind, ignorant or stupid.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Was at the game last night and had a couple thoughts:
1. Damn moemeka is going to be special. That kid is a young DC with arguably more skill than DC had when he arrived.
2. Why does AE insist on changing offensive schemes when we're up double digits?!?!? We had been aggressive, loose, and shooting freely and ran up two big leads before he changed up the sets and began running clock. It made the players hesitant, tight, and broke all flow and rhythm we had especially in the second half. Even a junior high team can beat us when we play like this. It's maddening. I would love to know why he does this. Keep doing what got you the lead!!!
3. That being said, I really like that Edwards is focusing on next season. Not that I don't love JMac but we're a better team without him. I liked his minutes last night.
4. Is there a better midrange jumper in the MWC than JJ's? That dude is silky smooth
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

it was interesting to watch, thank God that the Roos were cold most of the night but they sure were NOT afraid to take it to the rim and at us. their coach, my goodness they needed to put a leash on him, refs were sliding past him to get down the court, it was uncalled for. As for next game sure hope everyone's on the same page or you are right it's done.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wyo2dal wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 pm
Adv8RU12 wrote:Pokes are going to blow it, aren't they. Now, wait, EDWARDS is going to blow it with his inappropriate lineup
You can't blame bad ball control and shooting on the lineup. Dalton can't seem to hit poop tonight but if they take him out everyone will bitch that he wasn't in.

At most you can blame 60% on Edwards but you can't blame 100% on him. He isn't the one shooting like complete poop out there.

We should be out rebounding these guys by at least 10-15 boards but we aren't.

Our rebounding was horrendous in this game - no boxing out, poor position.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I agree. Before the season everyone thought we would be terrible(I thought we had a chance to be better but still not a championship team). I thought Edwards has done a great job in his first year leading a young team adjusting to a new system. That doesn't mean I liked every single decision he made but overall I am more than happy with his coaching this year.

As far as Moemeka playing well in these games and finally getting minutes. I think it could be as much about his improvement over the year than him finally getting a chance. Early in the year he couldn't stop fouling and lately has seemed to have learned how to play d without fouling as much(Trib article about this topic). So I think he has finally earned the chance to play more rather than Edwards finally realizing what he has with Moemeka.