CBI financial structure inquiry

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
swingman22
Buckaroo

Can someone shed some light on this? I'm trying to understand the incentive for the school. As I understand it, Wyoming laid down 40K for rounds one and two and another 75k for this next round. I heard David Settle imply that the incentive is based on giving these kids a chance to play and grow together under a 'survive and advance' platform. But 1) I don't think the AD would have the perspective of "Well, we're gonna lose a lot of money but this experience MIGHT help next years team and MAYBE grow next year's attendance IF we win and IF we get multiple games in a low grade tourney." 2) If the whole premise is based on molding the team for next year, aren't road games even more valuable to learn and grow as a young team?

Or is the incentive somehow more money driven to get a profit in the here and now? For example, is the profit all risked on whether or not you make the championship? I heard that hosting the ship is no cost to the school.

Also, does anyone know who woulda got the next home game if say, two schools both had equal bids? Or did every school make different bids?

I find all this to be very interesting, so answers would be greatly appreciated.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I'd email Tom Burman for clarification
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

According to this board it's to hang a coveted faux banner in the rafters and because Oregon played in it six years ago and another school played in it in 1976.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 pm According to this board it's to hang a coveted faux banner in the rafters and because Oregon played in it six years ago and another school played in it in 1976.
you sound like some butthurt loser.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:33 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 pm According to this board it's to hang a coveted faux banner in the rafters and because Oregon played in it six years ago and another school played in it in 1976.
He's the biggest fu--tard wannabe fan on this board. Guy advocates dropping Football to FCS, then has the temerity to turn his nose up at the CBI. It's kind of like Ronald McDonald giving Smashburger a bad review on Yelp! because it took too long.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Wyovanian wrote:
He's the biggest fu--tard wannabe fan on this board. Guy advocates dropping Football to FCS, then has the temerity to turn his nose up at the CBI. It's kind of like Ronald McDonald giving Smashburger a bad review on Yelp! because it took too long.
Spot on!

And 90% of time he posts its after a loss to rub it in and talk poop about a bunch of kids sacrificing their bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

You could be right, but I heard it was just a $50k flat fee for everyone in it. Haven't looked into it much myself though
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:17 pm
I've never had Smashburger, so I'm going to have to take your word on this.
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

I'm a little confused also, another thread implied that you don't get invited to this tournament but that you pay to have a spot. From what I understand, you get invited, and then choose whether or not to PAY to HOST the games. So pay 40k, (keeping all ticket, concession & parking revenue) lets call that tops 20k? so now it is running 20k to HOST a homegame in a post season tournament? Not too bad. Chump change to the Cowboy Joe Club and some high roller boosters.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

pokecountant wrote:I'm a little confused also, another thread implied that you don't get invited to this tournament but that you pay to have a spot. From what I understand, you get invited, and then choose whether or not to PAY to HOST the games. So pay 40k, (keeping all ticket, concession & parking revenue) lets call that tops 20k? so now it is running 20k to HOST a homegame in a post season tournament? Not too bad. Chump change to the Cowboy Joe Club and some high roller boosters.
That is correct, you get invited to play in the CBI then you choose to accept or decline and then pay. You don't just buy your way in you still have to be invited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Found this article from 2015 from ULM talking about the payment structure of the CBI:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... /24905583/

Is it true schools have to pay to host games in the CBI?

Yes and no. In the past, teams in the CBI have paid $35,000 to host first round games, $50,000 in the quarterfinals and $75,000 in the semis.

ULM athletic director Brian Wickstrom said there is a revenue sharing plan in place with the tournament that covers the cost.

There is no guaranteed minimum that ULM owes the CBI, and at the very least all of the university's event management costs are covered, which Wickstrom estimated to be around $2,000.

Whatever money ULM makes over $37,000 — that's the $2,000 in event costs plus the $35,000 for hosting — it gets to keep.

So yes, if ULM was to hit the magic number of $37,000 on this thing, then that goes to the CBI, but the university is not putting down $35,000 from the start.

If I understand that correctly, it sounds like teams used to pay up front for the CBI to host. It sounds like now they give all proceeds up to say $35k for the first round to CBI and keep proceeds past that. I think it is saying if they don't hit the $35k in proceeds the team doesn't pay the difference?

I read it as if Wyo made $50k for the first round they paid CBI 35k of that and kept the rest. If Wyo only made $10k for first round they just paid CBI all of it and made none, but I think don't owe the difference.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Found a more updated story on this year's money structure: http://kcur.org/post/umkc-pays-play-pos ... tournament

Other schools in the CBI this year, including the 'Roos second-round opponent Wyoming, confirm they also paid $40,000 to host first-round games. Teams like Wyoming that host second-round games will pay another $40,000 to CBI, bringing their two-game total to $80,000.

The school gets to keep ticket sales and concession receipts.

In the last two rounds, no money is paid to CBI but the tournament keeps the ticket revenue. The home team is allowed to keep money for concessions and parking. The CBI pays part of the travel costs for the visiting teams.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo