Wyoming vs Coastal Carolina Championship Game #3

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

WYCowboy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:01 pm 23 wins - only 4 teams in the whole country will win their last game of the season.
I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out. My thinking is that half the teams will win their last game and half will lose their last game.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:31 am
WYCowboy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:01 pm 23 wins - only 4 teams in the whole country will win their last game of the season.
I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out. My thinking is that half the teams will win their last game and half will lose their last game.
I believe he means the NCAA tourney, the NIT, the CBI, and the CIT - each tourney has a champion.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Every conference has a tournament. Only one team can win it, all others lose. Only one team can win each of the 4 post-season tournaments, all others lose.

So quite literally, everyone loses their last game except for 4.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:13 pm
Every conference has a tournament. Only one team can win it, all others lose. Only one team can win each of the 4 post-season tournaments, all others lose.

Yes, that makes sense when you think about it (that's when YOU think about it - I couldn't think it through - but I see it now)
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Yes, that makes sense when you think about it (that's when YOU think about it - I couldn't think it through - but I see it now)
Actually, a team that plays in a conference whose tournament excludes teams below a certain record could win their final game as well. In other words there can be teams that don't qualify for their conference tournament, yet manage to win their final game of the regular season...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:50 pm
Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Actually, a team that plays in a conference whose tournament excludes teams below a certain record could win their final game as well. In other words there can be teams that don't qualify for their conference tournament, yet manage to win their final game of the regular season...
Wasn't the MWC looking at doing this a year or two ago?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:50 pmActually, a team that plays in a conference whose tournament excludes teams below a certain record could win their final game as well. In other words there can be teams that don't qualify for their conference tournament, yet manage to win their final game of the regular season...
You are correct. I falsely assumed all Division I schools made their conference's tournament.

Here are the teams that did not play in its conference tournament and how they ended their seasons:

OHIO VALLEY CONFERENCE
Eastern Kentucky: Win
Austin Peay: Win
SIU-Edwardsville: Win

SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE
Northwestern State: Win
Nicholls State: Loss
McNeese: Loss

IVY LEAGUE
Columbia: Loss
Brown: Loss
Cornnell: Win
Dartmouth: Loss
DVDA wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:56 pmWasn't the MWC looking at doing this a year or two ago?
Yes, and thank goodness Larry Shyatt put a stop to it!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Man that was fun!!!!
wyoair
Ranch Hand

I believe the Big East did something very similar to that in that they only accepted the top 16 teams or so for the tournament. That's when they had a very big conference prior to them breaking apart and becoming a basketball only conference.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

wyoair wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:06 am I believe the Big East did something very similar to that in that they only accepted the top 16 teams or so for the tournament. That's when they had a very big conference prior to them breaking apart and becoming a basketball only conference.
During the WAC-16 horror (1996-1998), the WAC only allowed the top 12 of the 16 schools in the conference tournament. One year, Wyoming missed out on going due to tiebreakers, I believe, but we ended up in the NIT!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

davidwyo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 am I would rather hang a CBI Championship Banner rather than a "Participated in the NIT and CBI"

Congrats Pokes, if we would've played like the that most of the season we could've made some noise in the NCAA. Lets get to the big dance and then the Sweet 16 in 2018. :popcorn:
So you'd rather play in the CBI if going to the NCAA tournament means not winning it all? You're insane.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:40 pm
davidwyo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 am I would rather hang a CBI Championship Banner rather than a "Participated in the NIT and CBI"

Congrats Pokes, if we would've played like the that most of the season we could've made some noise in the NCAA. Lets get to the big dance and then the Sweet 16 in 2018. :popcorn:
So you'd rather play in the CBI if going to the NCAA tournament means not winning it all? You're insane.
Your reading skills need some work, nowhere did he say he'd rather win the CBI than go to the NCAA.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:39 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Your reading skills need some work, nowhere did he say he'd rather win the CBI than go to the NCAA.
Ah, correct you are. I thought that said participated in NIT or NCAA!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

and for true fans to have a team a part of this 4 standing at the end of the year as Championship is truly a marvel in and of itself!!!!!
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 am
wyoair wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:06 am I believe the Big East did something very similar to that in that they only accepted the top 16 teams or so for the tournament. That's when they had a very big conference prior to them breaking apart and becoming a basketball only conference.
During the WAC-16 horror (1996-1998), the WAC only allowed the top 12 of the 16 schools in the conference tournament. One year, Wyoming missed out on going due to tiebreakers, I believe, but we ended up in the NIT!!!!
I think I remember that. Who else was in the WAC then? Our current Mountain West plus UTEP, Hawaii, BYU and Utah. Anyone else I'm missing?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

wyoair wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:26 pm I think I remember that. Who else was in the WAC then? Our current Mountain West plus UTEP, Hawaii, BYU and Utah. Anyone else I'm missing?
The complete membership list (1996-98) with current conference home in ()

Air Force Falcons (Mountain West)
Brigham Young Cougars (Indy/West Coast)
Colorado State Rams AKA Fort Fart State (Mountain West)
Fresno State Bulldogs (Mountain West)
Hawaii Rainbow Warriors (Mountain West for football only/Big West)
Nevada-Las Vegas Rebels (Mountain West)
New Mexico Lobos (Mountain West)
Rice Owls (Conference USA)
San Diego State Aztecs (Mountain West)
San Jose State Spartans (Mountain West)
Southern Methodist Mustangs (American Athletic)
Texas Christian Horned Frogs (Big 12)
Texas-El Paso Miners (Conference USA)
Tulsa Golden Hurricane (American Athletic)
Utah Utes (PAC-12)
Wyoming Cowboys (Mountain West)

BTW, 9 of the current 12 MWC schools came from that mess!!!! Boise State, Nevada, and Utah State were not a part of that horror. They all later joined the WAC after the divorce.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!