2017 CBI Champions, Wyoming Pride

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

Nothing left to say, but way to go Pokes!!!! even the Debbie Downers and Negative Nancy's on this board are smiling tonight and proud of Wyoming Basketball. Now lets get back to the NCAA and get to the Sweet 16 and really make some noise. Coach Edwards, congrats on a historic first year.

Way to go Pokes!!!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

We're 101! We're 101! Go Pokes! Parlay this into something bigger next year.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I see nobody is calling the coach a stupid idiot tonight. :rofl:
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ZapPoke wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:32 pm We're 101! We're 101! Go Pokes! Parlay this into something bigger next year.
Really? 100 other teams finished their season with a championship?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:34 pm
ZapPoke wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:32 pm We're 101! We're 101! Go Pokes! Parlay this into something bigger next year.
Allow me to do the math for you. Presumably the top 68 teams are in the NCAA tourney. The next 32 teams are in the NIT. 68+32=100. Assuming the next tourney is the CBI that makes Wyo #101.

Don't get me wrong. I have enjoyed watching more Cowboy basketball and think this will really help next year. It's just not that prestigious.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

ZapPoke wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:48 am
joshvanklomp wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:34 pm
Allow me to do the math for you. Presumably the top 68 teams are in the NCAA tourney. The next 32 teams are in the NIT. 68+32=100. Assuming the next tourney is the CBI that makes Wyo #101.

Don't get me wrong. I have enjoyed watching more Cowboy basketball and think this will really help next year. It's just not that prestigious.
How many teams passed up the CBI? 101 isn't accurate either.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

You can make an argument that the 68 teams in the tournament do not represent the top 68 teams in the country.. the automatic bids from smaller/little known conferences certainly skew that considerably. I think it could also be argued that not all of 11/14 of the ACC teams who made the tournament do not fall into that category as well.
ImageImageImageImage
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

The reality of Wyoming's CBI run is the best wins came against semi-finalists in one bid leagues(WAC and Big Sky). UW lost to an 8th seed in the Sunbelt conference along the way. The competition was weak this year and Wyoming did what should be expected in that scenario. Winning the tournament isn't very impressive, but it's still a step up from where Wyoming has been in recent years.

The bottom line is this was a positive experience for the team. Finishing the season with that embarrassing loss to Air Force could have been the first nail in Allen Edwards' coffin. Instead, they finished the season off by winning a championship, sending their seniors out with a win, enjoying themselves, and bringing back some of the much needed fan support that has been lost over the years. Whether it's 101, 125, or 150, the positives far outweigh the negatives of this tournament experience.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

The Pokes had to win a bunch of games in a row to win the CBI. That was the greatest thing about it, and what we will benefit from the most next season.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

WYCowboy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 pm I see nobody is calling the coach a stupid idiot tonight. :rofl:
He just may have learned as much from the CBI as anyone...

:whistle:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:29 am
WYCowboy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 pm I see nobody is calling the coach a stupid idiot tonight. :rofl:
He just may have learned as much from the CBI as anyone...

:whistle:
Excluding the CBI Edwards turned in one of the worst seasons as a head coach in recent history. At least he learned it's a good idea to start and play your best player a lot of minutes. Now if we can work on eliminating 1 on 4 transition threes, offensive rebound and get an actual offense we might have something.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

There was really no other excuse why there shouldn't have been at least 10k there but overall one of the more fun times to have been at a game at UW in quite sometime....only 4 teams get to say they are Champions and we're one of them, REGARDLESS what tourney it is/was
Great Job Pokes had a great time!!!!!
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Beats the hell out of losing the CBI like the 15 other teams did.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

COS Cowboy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:11 am Beats the hell out of losing the CBI like the 15 other teams did.
well said, again 4 teams finish the season winning, we're 1 of 4
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

stymeman wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:03 am There was really no other excuse why there shouldn't have been at least 10k there but overall one of the more fun times to have been at a game at UW in quite sometime....only 4 teams get to say they are Champions and we're one of them, REGARDLESS what tourney it is/was
Great Job Pokes had a great time!!!!!
10k? For a CBI game against Coastal Carolina? I love the optimism, but come on. The bottom line is this is the third tournament in the pecking order, and a lot of teams don't even bother to play in this tournament when asked. I think it's cool they won but lets not all act like they just made the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament or something.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

again, it was cool to see in person, live, the smiles and happiness on the players faces isn't wasn't fake, something this country is notorious for Fake news everywhere. We'll take it into the offseason see where it goes from here and I'm sure we'll see the results of extra practice and Juniors turning into Seniors. The most important thing next year is to learn how to win on the road, bottom line, play like a team and maybe just maybe host 1 at home for the NIT, I'm sure we'll all be watching as well.....NCAA haaaa, that's a 12-15 year thing around here, nuff said
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I think it's possible for Wyoming to win the MW next year. I don't think we were far off this year because we were so inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!