Grand Canyon in the MW?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

I saw this on Twitter yesterday and I kind of shook my head at how myopically dumb this would be.. but I saw Mountain West Connection was kicking the tires on Grand Canyon being a viable MW member to counteract Wichita State going to the AAC. Personally, I think this idea is horrifically dumb on many levels. The first being, are they even eligible for the tournament yet? Anyways.. thoughts?
ImageImageImageImage
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

From a selfish point of view, I would love it, but I agree, it doesn't make sense.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

MrTitleist wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:45 pm I saw this on Twitter yesterday and I kind of shook my head at how myopically dumb this would be.. but I saw Mountain West Connection was kicking the tires on Grand Canyon being a viable MW member to counteract Wichita State going to the AAC. Personally, I think this idea is horrifically dumb on many levels. The first being, are they even eligible for the tournament yet? Anyways.. thoughts?
First off, ultra dumb idea on so many levels.

Secondly, they will be a full member for any NCAA tourney stuff this coming sports year (2017-18).
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I'm curious, why is it a dumb idea?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

I don't see the problem either. If you can look past the for-profit status of the school they seem to be a pretty good fit. They sponsor a lot of sports that would fit in with the MW (basketball, baseball, volleyball, swimming, tennis, soccer, golf, track), they seem to have decent facilities, and their programs seem to be fairly competitive. It would also get us into Arizona, which is well within the conference footprint.

On the men's basketball side, Thunder Dan is building one hell of a basketball program. I think adding GCU would be a great balance to having Hawaii as a football only school.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Isnt this the school Keonta Vernon bolted for?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Kick out Sharta and Hawaii and add Northern Iowa and Grand Canyon for bball only. So have a ten team football conf and a 12 team bball conference. By kicking out Sharta I bet the revenues would be pretty similar to what they are now.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:21 am Isnt this the school Keonta Vernon bolted for?
That it is. I'd love to see him come into the AA and get his ass whooped by the team he abandoned!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:35 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:21 am Isnt this the school Keonta Vernon bolted for?
That it is. I'd love to see him come into the AA and get his ass whooped by the team he abandoned!
Seeing JJ posterize him would be glorious!
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

I have had season tickets for a while at GCU. Let me tell you something they are building something that's going to be incredibly. The atmosphere there is insane, probably the best day in day out game day atmosphere I have ever been a part of and that's includes Arizona. The Louisville game was insane.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... s.amp.html
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

HELL NO!!!

The MWC should never admit a for profit institution (that is controlled by shareholders). In my opinion, federal student loans should not be available to profit institutions. F***, go that route then might as well admit DeVry, University of Phoenix and Wyotech too.

Grand Canyon had its chance to convert to a non-profit institution last year. It rejected that chance and can live with its decision. Let's not make the MWC a laughing stock.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Bring Marleje and his Jackalopes or what ever they are, would be good for trying to recruit the Valley of the Sun
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:00 am HELL NO!!!

The MWC should never admit a for profit institution (that is controlled by shareholders). In my opinion, federal student loans should not be available to profit institutions. F***, go that route then might as well admit DeVry, University of Phoenix and Wyotech too.

Grand Canyon had its chance to convert to a non-profit institution last year. It rejected that chance and can live with its decision. Let's not make the MWC a laughing stock.
It's not like Grand Canyon just gave up on going non-profit. They submitted a proposal and were rejected by the accreditation board. I would assume that they're going back to the drawing board and will try again soon.

Here's a good article on their proposal
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:25 am
It's not like Grand Canyon just gave up on going non-profit. They submitted a proposal and were rejected by the accreditation board. I would assume that they're going back to the drawing board and will try again soon.

Here's a good article on their proposal
In my opinion, the proposal was basically a sham in which control (and profits) would still rest with the for-profit company. Good for the accreditor to see through that.

If GCU is serious, it should raise capital through its alumni base or other donors and completely buy out all interest that the for profit company has in the University. There should be a complete split so that the two entities (the non-profit university) and the for profit company have no relationship whatsoever going forward.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

This seems as likely as Edwards hiring Keelon Lawson to be an assistant coach.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

They are semi respected in Arizona. They would need to repeal the for-profit status though. That poop is embarrassing outside of their home state. Otherwise, the facilities are nice and they are undefeated in football.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

They will be better than most MWC teams very soon. They just got a transfer (Casey Benson) who started for Oregon this year.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

phxpoke wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:37 pm They will be better than most MWC teams very soon. They just got a transfer (Casey Benson) who started for Oregon this year.
They're already there. Beat SDSU in 2015 and 2016. Took down New Mexico in 2014.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.