Will Hunter's Redshirt go bye bye?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I understand peoples point. We're stretch 4 heavy as is. I get it.

If you redshirt Hunter Thompson, he sits out 2018 and joins the floor in 2019.

That's when the class that replaces Gorski, Adams, Barnes, Herndon, and Dalton take the floor. That's five scholarships to fill in one recruiting cycle. With Thompson in that class, it's 6. That's not easy. A lot of times, coaches take chances on roll players when they have that many scholarships to fill.

If you don't redshirt Hunter Thompson, he joins the same freshman class as Maldonado, Mack, and Austin Meuller, giving you 4 scholarships to fill that year.

I'm guessing the coaches aren't going to want to leave 6 in the class of 2018. It's hard enough to find five quality guys(although this staff is recruiting lights out).

I don't think Thompson is going to redshirt.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Saying 6 in that class ignores the fact that 2, 3, or 4 of those guys could redshirt. The coaches can recruit a juco player or two as well as transfers to attempt to even out the classes. I don't think your argument is very strong for why he should or should not redshirt.

He should redshirt because he's coming from the weakest basketball level in the least populated state to the MWC which, although not good anymore, is still a decent division I conference. I know he has played AAU ball, but that still does not compare to MWC basketball. If anyone remembers, Barnes was supposed to be great because he held his own vs Stephen Zimmerman(a junior) during Barnes' senior year. We all know how that has turned out. He will have Naughton, Herndon, Dalton, Moemeka, and Jones ahead of him making playing time scarce unless Jones is an absolute bust and Moemeka shows no improvement in his basketball IQ. Even then, Herndon and Dalton have shown they can handle extended minutes making him a bench piece at best. A 5th year senior season would beat a low minute true freshman season any day of the week if you ask me. He will have to be phenomenal to avoid a redshirt year or a major injury or even two would need to occur for him to see playing time next year.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

DVDA wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:49 pmI know he has played AAU ball, but that still does not compare to MWC basketball. If anyone remembers, Barnes was supposed to be great because he held his own vs Stephen Zimmerman(a junior) during Barnes' senior year. We all know how that has turned out. He will have Naughton, Herndon, Dalton, Moemeka, and Jones ahead of him making playing time scarce unless Jones is an absolute bust and Moemeka shows no improvement in his basketball IQ. Even then, Herndon and Dalton have shown they can handle extended minutes making him a bench piece at best.
I know recruiting rankings don't mean everything but you're talking about a 2-star (.8062) player in Barnes compared to a 3-star (.8359) player in Thompson. None of the others who played last year even got rated that I can see. Thompson is much better coming in than any of those guys were. I don't think this is a situation like other recent in-state signings. Thompson is way ahead where those other two were.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:08 pm I understand peoples point. We're stretch 4 heavy as is. I get it.

If you redshirt Hunter Thompson, he sits out 2018 and joins the floor in 2019.

That's when the class that replaces Gorski, Adams, Barnes, Herndon, and Dalton take the floor. That's five scholarships to fill in one recruiting cycle. With Thompson in that class, it's 6. That's not easy. A lot of times, coaches take chances on roll players when they have that many scholarships to fill.

If you don't redshirt Hunter Thompson, he joins the same freshman class as Maldonado, Mack, and Austin Meuller, giving you 4 scholarships to fill that year.

I'm guessing the coaches aren't going to want to leave 6 in the class of 2018. It's hard enough to find five quality guys(although this staff is recruiting lights out).

I don't think Thompson is going to redshirt.
Hunter will redshirt if the staff thinks he needs it. Doesn't matter about class sizes. This day and age of attrition and transfers would indicate that we lose 2 of the 6 before graduation anyway. Class size is a nonfactor for Hunter to redshirt or not.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Hunter was 100% redshirting until this scholarship offer came around. Now he's going to work his ass of and try to get on the floor. It's going to be up to him and the coaches to decide if he redshirts, but don't be surprised if he sees time this year. The kid can ball. Yes, he came from a tiny town (Go Hornets!), but he has played at a high AAU level and has competed in some elite camps and tournaments. If he's ready he'll play, and I believe that he can be ready to play D1 ball his freshman year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I don't know why scholarship or no scholarship would make a difference in redshirting.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:37 am Hunter was 100% redshirting until this scholarship offer came around. Now he's going to work his ass of and try to get on the floor. It's going to be up to him and the coaches to decide if he redshirts, but don't be surprised if he sees time this year. The kid can ball. Yes, he came from a tiny town (Go Hornets!), but he has played at a high AAU level and has competed in some elite camps and tournaments. If he's ready he'll play, and I believe that he can be ready to play D1 ball his freshman year.
Good to hear. On paper he is one of the best recruits ever for us.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:03 am I don't know why scholarship or no scholarship would make a difference in redshirting.
Feels like he has to earn that scholarship. If the coaches are going to show this much faith in him he's going to push hard.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Yeah, I'm not buying all this jabber about how he's not ready, and he needs a redshirt. He's the most hyped Wyoming high school basketball player since James Johnson.

He's a four star for a reason. It's because he isn't a project, doesn't need to redshirt, and is ready to step on the floor immediately.

Wyoming will be in contention for a MWC title next year. It's better for the long term of the program to balance the recruiting classes. There are a lot of good reasons why he'll play next year and the only reason why he was planning on redshirting is gone(he didn't have a scholarship).

I don't see anyway a 4 star guy is going to sit a year, when he may not even need 4 seasons to become NBA ready and draftable.

With new coaches at UNLV, UNM, SDSU, Hutch leaving Boise, and Nevada losing a lot of contributors, the MWC race is wide open next year. Wyoming has a bunch of seniors and the best incoming recruiting class in the league. We're trying to get a trophy next year.

Should we leave the four star on the bench?

I don't think so.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

play him next year if you can and shirt if you think he needs it in the following year, I love the kid I think the jump from Wyo 2A although PB was really good, to D1 will really be an eye opening experience, get em HT i'll be in your corner!