Barnes Transferring

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Another player that saw the writing on the wall and will definitely be going to where he can find some playing time. He's a hell of a teammate. Good luck, JB!
https://twitter.com/BFoster91/status/854097553566183424
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Good luck to JB! Thanks for the good attitude
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

While I cannot blame him, I have a great sense of bummedness.... Is that a word? Barnes is one of those players that I always expected to explode into this force and be unstoppable. It really bums me out it never happened in the B&G but I hope he goes somewhere he can flourish for his final season.

While not a points or stats loss, the support and teammate presence cannot be understated. This is a huge loss from that angle.

Damn.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

There goes the team's Jack Haley-esque cheerleader!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

He seems like a great kid and I wish him the best but I hope AE never wastes a scholly on players like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 pm While I cannot blame him, I have a great sense of bummedness.... Is that a word? Barnes is one of those players that I always expected to explode into this force and be unstoppable. It really bums me out it never happened in the B&G but I hope he goes somewhere he can flourish for his final season.

While not a points or stats loss, the support and teammate presence cannot be understated. This is a huge loss from that angle.

Damn.
I understand. Such a likable persona. Always cheering on his teammates, great effort and attitude in the court.

On the other hand, I hope this gives him an opportunity to play. He would have spent another year here as a bench cheerleader and maybe he wanted a different opportunity. I will be interested to watch how he does at his next stop.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Are Leibs and/or Barnes getting a degree this Spring or Summer by any chance?
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 64 times

I'm not aware of the inner workings of these events. Do these players transfer voluntarily or do the coaches nudge them into it?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 pm I'm not aware of the inner workings of these events. Do these players transfer voluntarily or do the coaches nudge them into it?
My guess would be that Edwards sat down with them at the end of the year and explained what type of role they were going to have going forward. He probably also said that he would understand that if they wanted to play they would have to transfer, and told them that he would grant their release if they wished to do so.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:32 am My guess would be that Edwards sat down with them at the end of the year and explained what type of role they were going to have going forward. He probably also said that he would understand that if they wanted to play they would have to transfer, and told them that he would grant their release if they wished to do so.
I am guessing that there was a bit more nudging from the coaching staff to look elsewhere than that. Barnes had to have known for years that he would never be getting significant playing time at Wyoming but he still seemed content with his role. I think it would be naïve to think that this was solely the decision of the players.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Barnes sounds like he was a good kid, but has been interesting since we recruited him. When Wyoming signed him I spoke to a Colorado Division 2 coach I know and he was very surprised. He said he wouldn't have even recruited Barnes for his team, let alone a D1 squad...I was hoping that Shyatt saw something in him that this coach didn't...oh well, best of luck in the future JB.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 am Barnes sounds like he was a good kid, but has been interesting since we recruited him. When Wyoming signed him I spoke to a Colorado Division 2 coach I know and he was very surprised. He said he wouldn't have even recruited Barnes for his team, let alone a D1 squad...I was hoping that Shyatt saw something in him that this coach didn't...oh well, best of luck in the future JB.
This isnt necessarily the same thought as some scouts:

He was a 3 star on ESPN who said the following:

Strengths:
Barnes is a physical specimen who is just scratching the surface of his potential. Believe it or not, he grew 11 inches in one year and thus it has taken time for his frame to fill out and his overall game to adjust. He has soft hands, good feet, and moves fairly well for a player his size. He can finish through contact in the paint (plays hard) and appears to have good instincts in the paint area.
Weaknesses:
Barnes is still quite raw and he'll need to continue to develop his back-to-the-basket game. Attention to detail in the areas of fundamentals (keeping the ball high) and footwork as well as a go-to move (drop-step, jump hook, etc.).
Bottom Line:
Barnes is one of those prospects that fits the mold (it's not where you start out, but rather where you finish). His upside is impressive, especially if his game continues to evolve.

It's not like Shyatt and Co. went down to the Y and found the tallest dude they could and offered him a scholly. He was always going to be a project but there was some hope and belief that he would blossom....
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:08 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:40 am Barnes sounds like he was a good kid, but has been interesting since we recruited him. When Wyoming signed him I spoke to a Colorado Division 2 coach I know and he was very surprised. He said he wouldn't have even recruited Barnes for his team, let alone a D1 squad...I was hoping that Shyatt saw something in him that this coach didn't...oh well, best of luck in the future JB.
This isnt necessarily the same thought as some scouts:

He was a 3 star on ESPN who said the following:

Strengths:
Barnes is a physical specimen who is just scratching the surface of his potential. Believe it or not, he grew 11 inches in one year and thus it has taken time for his frame to fill out and his overall game to adjust. He has soft hands, good feet, and moves fairly well for a player his size. He can finish through contact in the paint (plays hard) and appears to have good instincts in the paint area.
Weaknesses:
Barnes is still quite raw and he'll need to continue to develop his back-to-the-basket game. Attention to detail in the areas of fundamentals (keeping the ball high) and footwork as well as a go-to move (drop-step, jump hook, etc.).
Bottom Line:
Barnes is one of those prospects that fits the mold (it's not where you start out, but rather where you finish). His upside is impressive, especially if his game continues to evolve.

It's not like Shyatt and Co. went down to the Y and found the tallest dude they could and offered him a scholly. He was always going to be a project but there was some hope and belief that he would blossom....
Whoever did that evaluation probably isn't evaluating prospects anymore. Total wiff.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Barnes was a Larry Shyatt recruit. A lot of his hype came from summer league when he defended Zimmerman better than any high schooler in the country had.

He's a big body that is important when you play a team with a big, deep, physical post, like the Cal team we faced when Barnes had his best night as a Cowboy.

The reality: we don't face those types of teams often. In addition, our identity changed. We're not a "defense above all else" team anymore. Now all of the bigs we've recruited play on the perimeter.

Barnes is a square peg for a round hole at UW. He doesn't fit.

I hope he finds a situation where it is a better fit.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Just out of curiosity, what does Shyatt jr bring to this coaching staff? Anybody got insight into his prospects as an effective college assistant coach? Or is, and has he been surviving on the coat tails of his fathers reputation. I do know Lieberman was a pet project, and his future is spent at UW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Cuttslam wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:19 pm
Whoever did that evaluation probably isn't evaluating prospects anymore. Total wiff.
I don't think it was a terrible evaluation. He had potential and he was a physical specimen. His game just never evolved and his upside never came to fruition.

"Bottom Line:
Barnes is one of those prospects that fits the mold (it's not where you start out, but rather where you finish). His upside is impressive, especially if his game continues to evolve."
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 64 times

It seems to me that getting a degree is far more important than basketball for these marginal players. I sure would not want to transfer during my junior or senior year. Riding the pine and getting a free education is hardly a bad thing. Plus, the team knows that they could be using the scholarships on prospects. I guess I've seen the movie "One on One" too many times.