Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 pm
McPeachy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 am
McPeachy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:59 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 am The number of DI wrestling schools has actually been rising over the past decade. This is weird. No one cares about baseball anymore, whereas wrestling has a small but steady die hard following.
Actually, the number of schools with wrestling has been decreasing, steadily, since - well - forever. Wrestling is a dying sport...and although maybe not in my lifetime, it will cease to exist competitively at the college level at some point in the future. The lower levels are already struggling (HS, JHS, AAU).

Not to argue baseball vs. wrestling anymore than we already have here on Wyonation the last 10 years, but I think Boise was super-smart in doing this to position themselves for an opportunity at the PAC or BIG or whatever you want to call it...in the event it ever comes along.

Frankly, and although this sucks ass to say it, Wyoming would be wise to dump wrestling and put in men's soccer (to meet the title IX requirements). And I hate everything soccer! But, no other sport out there could Wyoming get the bang-for-the-buck and be instantly competitive, than men's soccer. And in the cash-poor condition we are in right now, it just makes the most sense.

From a personal standpoint? I would prefer UW add D1 hockey, and add D1 baseball and women's softball, and lose wrestling - but that will never, ever, happen. Not only from a money standpoint, but from a poop trustee standpoint as well.
Well you haven't been paying attention, there has been a very recent trend of schools adding wrestling ( Fresno State, siu edwardsville + too many to mention at lower NCAA levels). Boise is doing the opposite of what it should be with wrestling.

And Wrestling is not struggling at all at the lower levels. That is a comical statement. thanks for the laugh. Wrestling is expanding into areas of the country (Texas and the southeast) pretty rapidly where it wasn't popular before. If wrestling is struggling so bad why did ESPN double the amount of prime time coverage this year? And wrestling is one of only four or five sports to turn a profit on their championships events (sell out every session). We won't even touch on women's wrestling which is massively growing

Also. I don't think there's a lower cost per student athlete sport out there than wrestling
Are there currently 77 D1 wrestling programs still? Last time we discussed this, 2 years ago, that was the number. I couldn't find any data for 2017...but I remember there being 81 at one point in our discussions here.

Interesting info:

In 2015 there were just over 10,000 college wrestlers total - all levels. That same year, it appears that there were close to 26,000 baseball players. A lot closer than I expected, honestly.

At the high school level, it is reported that more than 258,000 participated. While baseball was close to 500,000. Still a lot closer than I expected.

Wrestling is more popular than I thought - I was wrong. But it still can't touch the popularity of baseball - at the HS and College level.

:popcorn:
Interesting numbers indeed. I know that the # of kids participating grows every year for wrestling and I would think that it is going down for baseball. When i was a kid there were literally twice as many kids in Laramie youth baseball as there are today (same for football so maybe it's a Laramie thing - kids in Laramie are kitty for the most part btw).

Wrestling is actually insanely popular in the upper midwest and northeast and not so much everywhere else. I think that wrestling will see continued growth as it spreads into Texas and the southeast. I would bet $2 that we'll see more D-1 schools add wrestling in the near future. Especially in the south. It's already happening at the DII and DII levels.

If football declines because of the concussion issues then wrestling will benefit from that. Baseball is the sport that has real problems imo
I don't personally follow baseball at all, so I am probably the wrong person to defend it, but I think it is crazy to even compare baseball to wrestling in terms of popularity or trajectory. Baseball is, and will remain, several tiers above wrestling in terms of popularity.

Maybe Soccer would be considered a real threat to baseball (and football) for viewers and participants long term, but wrestling is decades away (if ever) from being anything more than a niche sport.

Having said that, for UW, Wrestling makes so much more sense than baseball. College baseball season starts on Feb. 16th. Feb. 16th! That's not a recipe for success in Laramie.

Boise is clearly trying to position their athletic department as more attractive to larger conferences who would care much more about a prospective program fits into their baseball schedule than a wrestling schedule which may only include half the teams in the conference as is. Good for them, I suppose, but I am very happy with UW's current sports lineup.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 am The number of DI wrestling schools has actually been rising over the past decade. This is weird. No one cares about baseball anymore, whereas wrestling has a small but steady die hard following.
Actually, the number of schools with wrestling has been decreasing, steadily, since - well - forever. Wrestling is a dying sport...and although maybe not in my lifetime, it will cease to exist competitively at the college level at some point in the future. The lower levels are already struggling (HS, JHS, AAU).

Not to argue baseball vs. wrestling anymore than we already have here on Wyonation the last 10 years, but I think Boise was super-smart in doing this to position themselves for an opportunity at the PAC or BIG or whatever you want to call it...in the event it ever comes along.

Frankly, and although this sucks ass to say it, Wyoming would be wise to dump wrestling and put in men's soccer (to meet the title IX requirements). And I hate everything soccer! But, no other sport out there could Wyoming get the bang-for-the-buck and be instantly competitive, than men's soccer. And in the cash-poor condition we are in right now, it just makes the most sense.

From a personal standpoint? I would prefer UW add D1 hockey, and add D1 baseball and women's softball, and lose wrestling - but that will never, ever, happen. Not only from a money standpoint, but from a poop trustee standpoint as well.
Well you haven't been paying attention, there has been a very recent trend of schools adding wrestling ( Fresno State, siu edwardsville + too many to mention at lower NCAA levels). Boise is doing the opposite of what it should be with wrestling.

And Wrestling is not struggling at all at the lower levels. That is a comical statement. thanks for the laugh. Wrestling is expanding into areas of the country (Texas and the southeast) pretty rapidly where it wasn't popular before. If wrestling is struggling so bad why did ESPN double the amount of prime time coverage this year? And wrestling is one of only four or five sports to turn a profit on their championships events (sell out every session). We won't even touch on women's wrestling which is massively growing

Also. I don't think there's a lower cost per student athlete sport out there than wrestling
Are there currently 77 D1 wrestling programs still? Last time we discussed this, 2 years ago, that was the number. I couldn't find any data for 2017...but I remember there being 81 at one point in our discussions here.

Interesting info:

In 2015 there were just over 10,000 college wrestlers total - all levels. That same year, it appears that there were close to 26,000 baseball players. A lot closer than I expected, honestly.

At the high school level, it is reported that more than 258,000 participated. While baseball was close to 500,000. Still a lot closer than I expected.

Wrestling is more popular than I thought - I was wrong. But it still can't touch the popularity of baseball - at the HS and College level.

Interesting numbers indeed. I know that the # of kids participating grows every year for wrestling and I would think that it is going down for baseball. When i was a kid there were literally twice as many kids in Laramie youth baseball as there are today (same for football so maybe it's a Laramie thing - kids in Laramie are kitty for the most part btw).

Wrestling is actually insanely popular in the upper midwest and northeast and not so much everywhere else. I think that wrestling will see continued growth as it spreads into Texas and the southeast. I would bet $2 that we'll see more D-1 schools add wrestling in the near future. Especially in the south. It's already happening at the DII and DII levels.

If football declines because of the concussion issues then wrestling will benefit from that. Baseball is the sport that has real problems imo
I don't personally follow baseball at all, so I am probably the wrong person to defend it, but I think it is crazy to even compare baseball to wrestling in terms of popularity or trajectory. Baseball is, and will remain, several tiers above wrestling in terms of popularity.

Maybe Soccer would be considered a real threat to baseball (and football) for viewers and participants long term, but wrestling is decades away (if ever) from being anything more than a niche sport.

Having said that, for UW, Wrestling makes so much more sense than baseball. College baseball season starts on Feb. 16th. Feb. 16th! That's not a recipe for success in Laramie.

Boise is clearly trying to position their athletic department as more attractive to larger conferences who would care much more about a prospective program fits into their baseball schedule than a wrestling schedule which may only include half the teams in the conference as is. Good for them, I suppose, but I am very happy with UW's current sports lineup.
At the professional level baseball is way more popular, of course. Professional wrestling doesn't even exist. So yeah, definitely no comparison there.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 pm
NowherePoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Interesting info:

At the professional level baseball is way more popular, of course. Professional wrestling doesn't even exist. So yeah, definitely no comparison there.

What do you mean professional wrestling doesn't exist?

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

303cowboy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:40 pm What do you mean professional wrestling doesn't exist?

Earth to 303cowboy...pro wrestling is FAKE!!!!!

BTW, I miss seeing Stacy Keiber. She was damned hot....still is!!!! :D
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Wyokie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:42 pm
303cowboy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:40 pm What do you mean professional wrestling doesn't exist?

Earth to 303cowboy...pro wrestling is FAKE!!!!!

BTW, I miss seeing Stacy Keiber. She was damned hot....still is!!!! :D
What!?!?! No way. It's real to me damnit
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 pm
To an extent, I consider MMA to be a professional avenue for top wrestlers. Not that professional leagues should dictate college athletics however.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Even collegiately, baseball is so much more popular than Wrestling. There were only 19 programs nationally that had an average attendance over 1000 in wrestling. Baseball has probably 60 or 70 (I could only find the Top 50, which were all over 1000). Only 7 wrestling programs draw over 2k, compared to 34 baseball programs.

Those numbers even understate it, because Wrestling has fewer events than baseball and there are so many more baseball programs than Wrestling. It's not an exaggeration to say that collegiate baseball probably draws more than 20 times the number of spectators annually that Wrestling does. They just aren't in the same tier of interest.

For the sport overall, there is the professional factor you allude to, which is not just MLB, but the minor leagues as well. Baseball is still a very popular sport in the U.S. and rumors of it's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Personally, I don't enjoy baseball, but I can't deny its popularity.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:47 pm Personally, I don't enjoy baseball, but I can't deny its popularity.
Same here. MLB needs to add cheerleaders AND a salary cap!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wyokie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 pm
NowherePoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:47 pm Personally, I don't enjoy baseball, but I can't deny its popularity.
me too. Baseball is boring. really fun to play, but boring.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:55 pm
Wyokie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 pm
me too. Baseball is boring. really fun to play, but boring.
Rather watch grass grow.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:59 am Wrestling is a dying sport...and although maybe not in my lifetime, it will cease to exist competitively at the college level at some point in the future. The lower levels are already struggling (HS, JHS, AAU).
It happened to collegiate boxing as an NCAA sanctioned sport in 1960. I believe that the low number of colleges participating lead to the demise. However, boxing still exists as an organized sport with national championships at a number of universities. Perhaps that is the way wrestling will go. Doesn't Wyoming participate in baseball in the same way?
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:20 pm
McPeachy wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:59 am Wrestling is a dying sport...and although maybe not in my lifetime, it will cease to exist competitively at the college level at some point in the future. The lower levels are already struggling (HS, JHS, AAU).
It happened to collegiate boxing as an NCAA sanctioned sport in 1960. I believe that the low number of colleges participating lead to the demise. However, boxing still exists as an organized sport with national championships at a number of universities. Perhaps that is the way wrestling will go. Doesn't Wyoming participate in baseball in the same way?
There's a club team. Same with skiing and hockey. Probably some others too
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

wyokoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:25 pm
The Rugby program is really good at the club level at UW.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:13 pm
wyokoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:25 pm
The Rugby program is really good at the club level at UW.
Yeah I forgot about them. Softball had a pretty good year a couple years ago too but not sure if they're consistently good. The only one I pay much attention to is hockey
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

If any sport is a dying sport in the U.S. it's baseball.

Wrestling hasn't exactly been thriving lately either. It almost lost it's olympic spot.

Boise must not be familiar with demographics. The majority of baseball fans are old, white men. Their fan base is about to die off over the next 30 years. It has very little presence with the younger crowd.

The future is bleak for baseball, although wrestling isn't setting any ratings records either.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Denver University and North Dakota have top tier hockey programs. I believe DU just won the championship. Still can't believe the lack of hockey love around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:24 pm If any sport is a dying sport in the U.S. it's baseball.

Wrestling hasn't exactly been thriving lately either. It almost lost it's olympic spot.

Boise must not be familiar with demographics. The majority of baseball fans are old, white men. Their fan base is about to die off over the next 30 years. It has very little presence with the younger crowd.

The future is bleak for baseball, although wrestling isn't setting any ratings records either.
Absolutely. The future, as unpopular as it seems here, is soccer. Hockey could be too but with stuff like the NHL not going to the Olympics that'll probably hurt hockey
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:27 pm Denver University and North Dakota have top tier hockey programs. I believe DU just won the championship. Still can't believe the lack of hockey love around here.
UND just dropped women's hockey
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Agreed Wyokoke. World cup soccer is already a hit in the U.S. ESPN set ratings records for that. The top foreign leagues even draw ratings.

Professional soccer in the U.S. has a few years to go still. MLS is a joke. U.S. fans don't cheer for joke sports. They'll wait until that sport earns it's keep before they fully get on board. MLS isn't there yet, but it is making steady progress and growing in value/investment.

The young ones like soccer. The majority of them played it, they understand it, and they follow it, not so much for baseball.

Men's soccer is the future compared to baseball and wrestling.

Having said that, wrestling is a better fit for Wyoming and Laramie then either of the other sports. The state has traditionally strong wrestling programs.

I would cry, kick, scream, and fight if they tried to cancel wrestling at UW.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pmBoise is clearly trying to position their athletic department as more attractive to larger conferences who would care much more about a prospective program fits into their baseball schedule than a wrestling schedule which may only include half the teams in the conference as is. Good for them, I suppose, but I am very happy with UW's current sports lineup.
If you're trying to look at why Boise is doing this, Nowhere has the answer right there.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo