How fun will the conference tourney be this year...a chance to win for both the deed.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

This could be the biggest Wyoming invasion of Vegas since Marcus Bailey and Josh Davis brought 12,000 Cowboys with them.

Book now. It's going to be epic.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Why do you think this?
I haven't been following the Pokes much lately, but after seeing them play slightly better than a mediocre Beaver team, and seeing that they beat no name teams such as South Dakota State and Louisiana Lafayette then proceed to get throttled by the only good team they have played, I think this team can finish a few games above .500 overall and within a couple games of .500 in conference play.

What am I missing? Is this team actually that good?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BeaverPoke wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:32 am Why do you think this?
I haven't been following the Pokes much lately, but after seeing them play slightly better than a mediocre Beaver team, and seeing that they beat no name teams such as South Dakota State and Louisiana Lafayette then proceed to get throttled by the only good team they have played, I think this team can finish a few games above .500 overall and within a couple games of .500 in conference play.

You are correct about conference play, but if they go 10-8 in MWC play, they will probably be about 21-10 overall. Not a top contender, but that would be the 2nd best MWC record in the last 15 years.

Remember they have been battling injuries. We didn't have our best player last night. It's not like they would have won without him but it would have been much more competitive. Cincy is a Top 10/15 team.

You also underrate South Dakota St. and ULL. Both would likely beat OSU. SDSU beat Iowa and Buffalo (picked to win the MAC) in this tourney and ULL also beat Iowa in this tourney.

If Wyoming can get healthy they can finish in the top half of the MWC, which should be enough to get Poke fans excited about the tourney considering how rare that has been for us in the last 15 years.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

"I haven't been following the Pokes much lately......", followed by a condescending, know-it-all response explaining why someone who HAS been following the Pokes is wrong. Nice.

Back in 2014-2015 when we won the conference tourney and went dancing we were 11-2 in non-conference play beating teams like a mediocre PAC-12 Colorado team, no-name Montana State and Denver and losing our only tests against SMU and Cal (neither of which were near as good as Cincy is). We finished the MWC with an 11-7 record.

Not predicting a MWC championship or anything, but we'll be alright.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

BeaverPoke wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:32 am ....they beat no name teams such as South Dakota State and Louisiana Lafayette ...
What am I missing?
South Dakota State was predicted to win their conference while Louisiana was picked 2nd or 3rd in theirs. Both won in Cayman after their Poke defeats. So Pokes aren't top 25 (yet) but can stick it to most mid-majors.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:11 am

"I haven't been following the Pokes much lately......", followed by a condescending, know-it-all response explaining why someone who HAS been following the Pokes is wrong. Nice.

Back in 2014-2015 when we won the conference tourney and went dancing we were 11-2 in non-conference play beating teams like a mediocre PAC-12 Colorado team, no-name Montana State and Denver and losing our only tests against SMU and Cal (neither of which were near as good as Cincy is). We finished the MWC with an 11-7 record.

Lol not a know it all response by any means. Just explaining what I see from the team through a very limited lense. Hence the whole reason I asked why he thought the tourney would be exciting.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Has this ever happened?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Men's and Women's teams for the same school have won the MWC tourney in the same season 3 times:

2004-2005 season: New Mexico
2008-2009 season: Utah
2009-2019 season: San Diego State
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

It's still too early in the season to get a good gauge but it looks like both squads will be challenging for a title. One of them, if not both of them, should go deep in the MWC tourney.

That's why it would be fun, both teams have a chance to go deep, if not win it.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

It would be cool, but the women consistently are absolutely horrid in the the conference tournament, for whatever reason. No matter how good the team is it flames out in the first round.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Pretty sure this was a way too early assessment as both teams played like dog poo against teams they definitely should have beaten. Pretty sad performance by the men against Denver. With that loss do not expect our resume to be strong enough to get us in without winning the conference tournament. I'm pretty disappointed in the athletic teams as a whole.

Volleyball underwhelmed, football crashed and burned without JA, wrestling really hasn't taken off yet, but that team still may impress, soccer didn't really meet my expectations, men's basketball once again is so off and on it's maddening, women's basketball once again is mediocre but should maybe make the nit. Pretty disappointed.

They all also could have done much better, and or could be doing better. Football with a competent O-coordinator, could and should have been 9-3 at worst, and 10-2 at best. Still not convinced we'd have beaten Iowa, Volleyball choked many matches away, soccer was close but no cigar several times to teams they should have beaten. Men basketball already come on really!?, Denver is team you don't lose to, even on the road. Women's side, Montana State is not a good team, especially IUPUI! Terrible loss! Wrestling needs a couple men to step up a little. I wrestled for Gillette and yes I got upset a few times but rarely in a duel. That's your time to shine! We should at this point be competing well against the Nebraskas, Missouri's, Iowa States and not losing to SDSU or NDSU anymore. I'm sorry but we could be doing much, much better.

There are conference titles to be had they just need to step up and go get them! It's just getting painful to see all these teams agonizingly close and come up short. But as we all know that's the life of a Poke fan! One of these days I may truly be happy. I'm still only 29 years young so I have lots of time to potentially see one in all these sports, but looks pretty bleak right now, but I'll keep hoping and praying and cheering.

That's my rant I'm sorry it's long winded and negative, but I will still forever be cheering for the brown and gold. Go Pokes!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

aranderson wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:33 am Pretty sure this was a way too early assessment as both teams played like dog poo against teams they definitely should have beaten. Pretty sad performance by the men against Denver. With that loss do not expect our resume to be strong enough to get us in without winning the conference tournament. I'm pretty disappointed in the athletic teams as a whole.

Volleyball underwhelmed, football crashed and burned without JA, wrestling really hasn't taken off yet, but that team still may impress, soccer didn't really meet my expectations, men's basketball once again is so off and on it's maddening, women's basketball once again is mediocre but should maybe make the nit. Pretty disappointed.

They all also could have done much better, and or could be doing better. Football with a competent O-coordinator, could and should have been 9-3 at worst, and 10-2 at best. Still not convinced we'd have beaten Iowa, Volleyball choked many matches away, soccer was close but no cigar several times to teams they should have beaten. Men basketball already come on really!?, Denver is team you don't lose to, even on the road. Women's side, Montana State is not a good team, especially IUPUI! Terrible loss! Wrestling needs a couple men to step up a little. I wrestled for Gillette and yes I got upset a few times but rarely in a duel. That's your time to shine! We should at this point be competing well against the Nebraskas, Missouri's, Iowa States and not losing to SDSU or NDSU anymore. I'm sorry but we could be doing much, much better.

There are conference titles to be had they just need to step up and go get them! It's just getting painful to see all these teams agonizingly close and come up short. But as we all know that's the life of a Poke fan! One of these days I may truly be happy. I'm still only 29 years young so I have lots of time to potentially see one in all these sports, but looks pretty bleak right now, but I'll keep hoping and praying and cheering.

That's my rant I'm sorry it's long winded and negative, but I will still forever be cheering for the brown and gold. Go Pokes!
Burman has really bungled this once proud athletic department.....
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

aranderson wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:33 am Pretty sure this was a way too early assessment as both teams played like dog poo against teams they definitely should have beaten. Pretty sad performance by the men against Denver. With that loss do not expect our resume to be strong enough to get us in without winning the conference tournament. I'm pretty disappointed in the athletic teams as a whole.

Agree with most of what you wrote. The only thing I would disagree with is Volleyball. They finished 2nd in the MWC. That will be the highest finish our athletic department sees this year (or any other year for that matter) and they are fairly young. CSU has a virtual death grip on the league in Volleyball, but Callihan's program is every bit as good as any program in the league other than CSU.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:17 am

Agree with most of what you wrote. The only thing I would disagree with is Volleyball. They finished 2nd in the MWC. That will be the highest finish our athletic department sees this year (or any other year for that matter) and they are fairly young. CSU has a virtual death grip on the league in Volleyball, but Callihan's program is every bit as good as any program in the league other than CSU.
I agree to a point, they were a bright spot, but I said they underwhelmed. Like all our other teams they left alot out there and could have done oh so much better. Callahan has them on the verge of being great and competing with CSU. But I felt this year should have been better. Not bitching about a winning team, no more than I'm bitching about going to a bowl two years in a row, but like the football team there were several more wins that should have been.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:11 am

Getting whooped by Denver and going to double OT to beat Drake. Not really convincing that this team is even going to be "alright".
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

BeaverPoke wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:31 pm
Getting whooped by Denver and going to double OT to beat Drake. Not really convincing that this team is even going to be "alright".
Lol. Wait, you've been thinking about our little exchange almost 2 weeks ago this entire time? Your desire to be right is that strong?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:48 pm
Lol. Wait, you've been thinking about our little exchange almost 2 weeks ago this entire time? Your desire to be right is that strong?
:lol:
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:48 pm

It is. Indeed it is.

Come the MWC Tourney I may check back in on this thread and we can see who was more right ;)