How Burman bungled the Kenny Sailors statue

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
TheCup
Ranch Hand

Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Not sure how this makes the case that Burman "bungled" the whole thing. Knowing Pivic, I'd bet good money he volunteered to be the point man for this and did a poor job of communicating with the Gunters. When he found out there was a process that had to be followed and that he and his ego couldn't bypass it, I could see him trying to sabotage the whole thing and trying to throw Burman and UW under the bus...

If there were, indeed, witnesses at the two meetings Burman had with them in Green River, I'm sure they could corroborate one side or the other. What do Shyatt and McKinney have to say?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Brandon Foster is a drama queen. He starts out his Wyoming beat writer career with an expose on Wyoming dropping to FCS and insists on filling the papers with that garbage for months and months. He continually drops headlines that are inflammatory to Wyoming fans. He writes articles like this that belong in the Enquirer.

Maybe after his first job he's ever had, he'll get his dream job with the Weekly World News.

Out of state doucher, please fulfill your dream and leave Wyoming.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:59 am Brandon Foster is a drama queen. He starts out his Wyoming beat writer career with an expose on Wyoming dropping to FCS and insists on filling the papers with that garbage for months and months. He continually drops headlines that are inflammatory to Wyoming fans. He writes articles like this that belong in the Enquirer.

Maybe after his first job he's ever had, he'll get his dream job with the Weekly World News.

What?
The theme of those "FCS" articles was that Wyoming will and should continue to compete in the Mountain West. Show me article he wrote that says FCS makes sense for Wyoming.

This was a solid article from him. He's a beat writer for a local paper, not the marketing guy who's salary is paid by UW athletics.

But cool of you to start calling a young beat writer names and attacking his occupation.
Last edited by cali2wyo on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

He doesn't pull it out of his ass...he writes about topics that fans are talking about. maybe not you, but some people. I'm sure there are a ton of blue hairs that read the paper up in arms that the Kenny Sailors statue wasn't made by a true Wyomingite...and they'll love the story and will continue buying the paper because of stories like this. It's what keeps the paper in business, like it or not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by kdwrightuwyo on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:44 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:59 am Brandon Foster is a drama queen. He starts out his Wyoming beat writer career with an expose on Wyoming dropping to FCS and insists on filling the papers with that garbage for months and months. He continually drops headlines that are inflammatory to Wyoming fans. He writes articles like this that belong in the Enquirer.

What?
The theme of those "FCS" articles was that Wyoming will and should continue to compete in the Mountain West. Show me article he wrote that says FCS makes sense for Wyoming.

This was a solid article from him. He's a beat writer for a local paper, not the marketing guy who's salary is paid by US athletics.

But cool of you to start calling a young beat writer names and attacking his occupation.
The theme of those FCS articles was positive because our football team was winning. It certainly didn't look like that would be the case before the season, when he prepared that series of articles. The football team forced him to be positive, because he was planning a series of articles about dropping to FCS to coincide with a team that finished 2-10 the year before.

Still, it was a drama queen series of articles for his very first job.

This is a drama queen article. He said, she said, politics.......

Foster is a drama queen.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

LOL, talk about a drama queen.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

This was truly a f'ed up job by the University and Burman, I have an inside source that is working on a big story on this mess up, stay tuned
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Looks like it was a lack of communication but I don't believe that nobody told the family about the process they were going to have to go through(albeit too late and they had probably already begun work). Sounds like some people had confidence they could get this through the process as the bid and they failed. Sad story but I don't really see any awful villians in it. and I'll be the one to say it, the statue we have looks WAY better than the one from the Wyoming sculpture.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:31 am Looks like it was a lack of communication but I don't believe that nobody told the family about the process they were going to have to go through(albeit too late and they had probably already begun work). Sounds like some people had confidence they could get this through the process as the bid and they failed. Sad story but I don't really see any awful villians in it. and I'll be the one to say it, the statue we have looks WAY better than the one from the Wyoming sculpture.
What you just described can be summed up in one word, "CONSTRUCTION". This sort of thing happens all the time.

Before the opening of the AA I predicted that regardless of how it turned out this exact type of post would show up. Someone would find something to bitch and whine and moan and demean Burman about. I knew it. I don't get the hatred. Yes he's had some whiffs but he's also had some homeruns. Whatever.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:37 am
TSpoke wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:31 am Looks like it was a lack of communication but I don't believe that nobody told the family about the process they were going to have to go through(albeit too late and they had probably already begun work). Sounds like some people had confidence they could get this through the process as the bid and they failed. Sad story but I don't really see any awful villians in it. and I'll be the one to say it, the statue we have looks WAY better than the one from the Wyoming sculpture.
What you just described can be summed up in one word, "CONSTRUCTION". This sort of thing happens all the time.

Before the opening of the AA I predicted that regardless of how it turned out this exact type of post would show up. Someone would find something to bitch and whine and moan and demean Burman about. I knew it. I don't get the hatred. Yes he's had some whiffs but he's also had some homeruns. Whatever.
What exactly are the home runs?
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cuttslam wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:55 am

Bohl, Shyatt, Edwards, the HATC, the AA Renovations. I know I know, these were all ideas brought about by other great men blah blah blah....
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

the University had delusions of grandjour during the architect phase and in real world construction costs and such, really opened their eyes to a lot of things
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Sounds like the Gunther’s got screwed a little and Burman did screw the pooch. How do you make an announcement and have them introduced at the halftime of a game before you actually go through whatever process there was. Definitely mishandled but I’ll leave my pitchfork and torch at home.
W-Y, Until I Die!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

It's his job to report news. He's not Wyoming Athletics' PR department.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 pm Sounds like the Gunther’s got screwed a little and Burman did screw the pooch. How do you make an announcement and have them introduced at the halftime of a game before you actually go through whatever process there was. Definitely mishandled but I’ll leave my pitchfork and torch at home.
Those of you that work for larger corporations should be able to see what exactly happened here. By in large the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. This "arts council" or whatever it was could have been done and no one in the AD would know about it.. and the "arts council" or whatever would probably have no wherewithal to even mention it to anyone in the AD.. people largely do not talk to each other effectively. They sometimes do not talk because they don't think the other people need to know what they know as they don't believe it affects them. I can completely see a scenario where Burman wouldn't know about this new process, he was probably largely clueless about it. Or maybe he was like a normal person and deletes his email without reading it because it doesn't look like it'll be worth the time to read it.
ImageImageImageImage
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 am
Cuttslam wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:55 am

Bohl, Shyatt, Edwards, the HATC, the AA Renovations. I know I know, these were all ideas brought about by other great men blah blah blah....
Homeruns? I think Poke fans have a collective case of PTSD. Bohl has a 42% winning percentage and some of the worst losses in UW history (UND, 2015 EMU, 2017 SJSU). Edwards is too early to judge either way but his first year was terrible with a sub .500 conference record in a one bid league and one of the most horrific postseason losses you will ever see falling behind 25-0 to 10th place AFA team in one of the pigtail games. If it wasn't for Schroyer's loss to an 0-16 CSU team in the pigtail games a few years back it would rank as our worst MWC Tourney moment. Hopefully this year turns out better.

In terms of the AA and HATC, let me know when we start winning on the field/court. We have spent all this money but we are not any more competitive in the revenue sports than we were 10 years ago.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

MrTitleist wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 pm
laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 pm Sounds like the Gunther’s got screwed a little and Burman did screw the pooch. How do you make an announcement and have them introduced at the halftime of a game before you actually go through whatever process there was. Definitely mishandled but I’ll leave my pitchfork and torch at home.
Those of you that work for larger corporations should be able to see what exactly happened here. By in large the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. This "arts council" or whatever it was could have been done and no one in the AD would know about it.. and the "arts council" or whatever would probably have no wherewithal to even mention it to anyone in the AD.. people largely do not talk to each other effectively. They sometimes do not talk because they don't think the other people need to know what they know as they don't believe it affects them. I can completely see a scenario where Burman wouldn't know about this new process, he was probably largely clueless about it. Or maybe he was like a normal person and deletes his email without reading it because it doesn't look like it'll be worth the time to read it.
Yeah, thought much the same. I don't really see this as Burman's issue honestly.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

The whole statue situation is a major CF. The "arts council" has been in place for years, Burman surely knew about that - and if not, it is his JOB to know about it...so give him another F. I would also point out that although Pivic can be a real cocky asshat, his donations and support of UW & UW athletics are quite admirable. He relied on Burman & the athletic department (and UW) to have their poop together...and was the money behind the statue to begin with. So much fail with this one...and I quite honestly feel bad for Gunters.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Am I the only one that see Pivic stirred a lot of this poop by acting outside of his authority by arranging the donation and then contacting the sculptor's family and not being straight with them? Burman's flaw in this is not knowing the art council process and not telling that guy to shut his mouth and get the hell out of the way.

The positive out of this is that the art council process worked. We got a much better statue out of the deal.