Wyoming Upper Weights Surprise In Early Going

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

We haven't had a wrestling update in a while. On Saturday, the Pokes defeated traditional power Iowa State 24-14 in Ames (really 24-15...ISU lost a team point for sportsmanship).

The early season surprises have been the Seniors Pope and Polson wrestling well at 174 and 184. The Pokes have struggled in the weights in the past few years. I believe that the Pokes have the most solid dual team lineup that we have seen in nearly a decade.

Other comments:
1) The Pokes go to Reno this weekend and then will be in Cheyenne next Tuesday to take on Oklahoma State. Get ready for fireworks with the National Championship rematch of Heil v. Meredith in Bryce's hometown!!

2) Colgan and Ashworth have both lost matches in the early going that I would have expected them to win. Not that they have wrestled bad but let's hope they get things rolling because each has All-American potential.

3) Meredith dropped a match to Cornell's true freshman Yianni Diakomihalis in Vegas. Diakomihalis is a stud as he won over 200 straight matches to close out his HS career wrestling the best in the country. But, based on experience, this is a guy that Meredith has to beat. I expect Meredith to prevail the next time should they meet at Nationals.

4) Of the RS-FR lightweights, Bridges has come up with some big wins and I would expect him to move into the rankings sometime during the season. Olson hasn't fared as well as he was pinned in his match against an unranked ISU wrestler. Both are very talented. I expect Bridges to qualify for Nationals this year.

5) Watch out for Hayden Hastings of Sheridan and Cale Davidson next year in the upper weights! Both true freshmen are currently redshirting ad both have performed very well in the open tournaments. Heck even Laramie's own Carless Looney has looked pretty good as a true freshman redshirt.

6) I'm picking the Pokes to pull some upsets this year and finish 2nd or 3rd in a loaded Big 12s (South Dakota State, Northern Iowa and Oklahoma State all appear to be really good).

7) Recruiting was rather blah according to Intermat wrestling rankings...only one ranked wrestler committed to Wyoming. Let's hope we found some diamonds in the rough.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Good run down! I bet that the true freshmen are pushing the older guys at the upper weights. If the upper weights were doing poorly this year I would have started to question how good the highly-touted really freshmen are. I would love to go see Bryce in Cheyenne vs Heil. I do not like Heil
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I don't think Meredith likes the name Heil as well, LOL
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Great breakdown, and good to see some wrestling talk!

Looks like Bryce has his work cut out for him this weekend.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6 ... tremendous
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Meredith v. Jack #5!!!

Meredith beats #5 ranked Eierman of Missouri and will (once again) face former teammate Kevin Jack in the finals of the RTOC.

Recap:
#14 seed Meredith knocks off #3 seed Jack in 2015 NCAAs
#7 seed Meredith knocks off #2 seed Jack in 2016 NCAAs
#2 seed Jack scores a defensive pin against Meredith in the 3/4 place match at 2016 NCAAs
#2 ranked Jack beats #3 ranked Meredith in kick-off to 2017 NCAA season
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Meredith beats Jack 4-3!

Bridges and Meredith both champs!

(Ashworth still to come)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Overall good performance by the Pokes in Reno taking 2nd place as a team behind North Carolina State. Other decent teams in the field included Missouri, Oregon State, Stanford and Cal-Poly.

Bridges - 1st
Meredith- 1st
Colgan - 3rd
Ashworth - 1st
Pope - 4th
Polson - 3rd
Hastings (unattached) - 6th

Foster had a better tournament than Olson at 125 but neither placed. Will be interesting to see who emerges from that weight class.

Meredith virtually guaranteed himself a top seed at the national tournament with two big wins over Eierman and Jack. I'm not sure this is a good thing considering his last two NCAA runs have come as an underdog lower seed.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:49 pm Overall good performance by the Pokes in Reno taking 2nd place as a team behind North Carolina State. Other decent teams in the field included Missouri, Oregon State, Stanford and Cal-Poly.

Bridges - 1st
Meredith- 1st
Colgan - 3rd
Ashworth - 1st
Pope - 4th
Polson - 3rd
Hastings (unattached) - 6th

Foster had a better tournament than Olson at 125 but neither placed. Will be interesting to see who emerges from that weight class.

Meredith virtually guaranteed himself a top seed at the national tournament with two big wins over Eierman and Jack. I'm not sure this is a good thing considering his last two NCAA runs have come as an underdog lower seed.
Crazy how loaded 141 was for this tourney. Good to see Bryce come out on top!! Bridges schooled everyone in his bracket. Good job, Pokes