Crappy Execution
dapokes
Ranch Hand

.... *Crickets*
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

Stand by my statement....we are going to find that the road is going to be much tougher once the conference season starts. We are not good.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

PokeTransplant wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm Stand by my statement....we are going to find that the road is going to be much tougher once the conference season starts. We are not good.
I too think we are in for a long season
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm Stand by my statement....we are going to find that the road is going to be much tougher once the conference season starts. We are not good.
It is true that we are not good, but that hardly makes it Schroyer 2.0. We weren't good in McClain's last 4 years and parts of Shyatt's tenure (especially the last year). We were awful under Schroyer.

Things do look bleak, but what I see on the court is quite a bit better than Schroyer's tenure. I would guess we end up with a similar record as last year's regular season (maybe one game worse). Just treading water.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:48 pm Great Recruits
No Game Plan
Crappy Execution
I would disagree with "great recruits". I would mildly agree with the rest of it. I think there is a game plan but I don't really like it.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Rename this thread to...

Negative Nancy 2.0

This comparison is laughable, however the usual suspects have lined up in your defense..hence the title change request.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

best recruits we can find at this time, I think if we give it time we'll be ok upcoming soon, can't wait to see Hunter Thompson play for the Pokes!!!
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

No Game Plan
Crappy Execution
Great recruits? That's laughable right now.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Our best recruiting class ever (on paper) was last year.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Cuttslam wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:47 am
No Game Plan
Crappy Execution
I think it is a little too early to Judge the recruiting of the current staff. These are the scholarship players brought in so far:

Louis Adams - Good pickup in my opinion. Like most JC guys, playing better in his 2nd year at the D1 level than his first. Brings something to the table that isn't in abundance on this roster (ability to get to the rim and the line).

Brodricks Jones - Been tough going for Jones. Not sure what kind of impact he will have. Decent sized, and clearly a pretty fluid athlete for someone that height, but I am not sure what exactly he does well at this stage.

Hunter Maldonado - I think you have to give freshmen time and I have really liked what I have seen from him. Has struggled offensively, but I think we will turn out to be a solid MWC player.

Anthony Mack - Injured, but on paper a very talented player.

Hunter Thompson - Injured, but on paper an important recruit.

I think Mack/Maldonado/Thompson will turn out to be a pretty solid group in a few years, but that is all speculation at this point.

The real test will come this spring. Need at least one, maybe 2, impact transfers that can play right away (JC or Grad transfer). That's easy to say, but hard to do.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

NowherePoke wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:37 am
Cuttslam wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:47 am
No Game Plan
Crappy Execution
I think it is a little too early to Judge the recruiting of the current staff. These are the scholarship players brought in so far:

Louis Adams - Good pickup in my opinion. Like most JC guys, playing better in his 2nd year at the D1 level than his first. Brings something to the table that isn't in abundance on this roster (ability to get to the rim and the line).

Brodricks Jones - Been tough going for Jones. Not sure what kind of impact he will have. Decent sized, and clearly a pretty fluid athlete for someone that height, but I am not sure what exactly he does well at this stage.

Hunter Maldonado - I think you have to give freshmen time and I have really liked what I have seen from him. Has struggled offensively, but I think we will turn out to be a solid MWC player.

Anthony Mack - Injured, but on paper a very talented player.

Hunter Thompson - Injured, but on paper an important recruit.

I think Mack/Maldonado/Thompson will turn out to be a pretty solid group in a few years, but that is all speculation at this point.

The real test will come this spring. Need at least one, maybe 2, impact transfers that can play right away (JC or Grad transfer). That's easy to say, but hard to do.
Most importantly, need an impact point guard. Kelley and Redding are role players who should get spot minutes. We need a Straight or Ewing type of point IMO.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

I don't think we should throw around the Schroyer word lightly. That guy destroyed our program. :grenade:

I think this thread is way too early and man we'd have to be so bad on a lot of fronts to be Schroyer low. :poop: Post more here when we see how conference play is. We've all seen epic Poke's meltdowns before so we can handle it if it happens. This team could still jell more and surprise. Knock the poop out of AF and CSU for starters. Compete with SDSU. That makes me a happy camper....hate losing to those teams. I wanted to see a top 4 conference finish this year and it's very much still the dream until we see it vaporize.
Riding High!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

Yeah, we need a pg and this thread title is garbage
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:40 pm Yeah, we need a pg and this thread title is garbage
We need a big man who can play in the post. And while I don't think anyone can reach as low as Schroyer, I had flashbacks last year when Air Force outscored us 25-0 to start the game. I don't think a competent coach lets that happen. As far as I'm concerned, if we finish as low in the conference this year and a one and out in the tournament, then it's time to move on. Maldanado could be our pg, but we may not find out with Kelly and Gorski on the floor.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:47 pm
laxwyo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:40 pm Yeah, we need a pg and this thread title is garbage
We need a big man who can play in the post. And while I don't think anyone can reach as low as Schroyer, I had flashbacks last year when Air Force outscored us 25-0 to start the game. I don't think a competent coach lets that happen. As far as I'm concerned, if we finish as low in the conference this year and a one and out in the tournament, then it's time to move on. Maldanado could be our pg, but we may not find out with Kelly and Gorski on the floor.
I saw flashes of adjustments and flashes of Edwards pulling his head out. We made our runs by getting into the lane, giving our posts the ball and working inside out not outside-outside. Which is why Naugton was so big for us. So I think there is hope. Yes a PG is definitely needed. We have one for next year but that doesn't help is this year :(. Gorski has been ice cold as of late so that being said until he finds his stroke the only good thing about his is that he's a senior.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

8-3 is about to be expected at this point with the probability to be 10-3 to end conference play, I'll sure take that any day/any year, conference will be fun and I think with the games these kids have played so far we'll be ok, ups and downs like every year, but we are Wyoming...GO POKES, what more can we ask for??
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I don't think Edwards is Shroyer 2.0 but I do have my concerns. That being said, I noticed in the game against EWU that when the shots weren't falling, the offensive sets were changed and we started slashing more. And wouldnt you know it, you get to basket and good things happen. Once we started putting pressure on them and made them defend more than a 35 ft jumpshot they started slowing down, tiring out, and missing more shots. WHO KNEW!?!?!?!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 am I don't think Edwards is Shroyer 2.0 but I do have my concerns. That being said, I noticed in the game against EWU that when the shots weren't falling, the offensive sets were changed and we started slashing more. And wouldnt you know it, you get to basket and good things happen. Once we started putting pressure on them and made them defend more than a 35 ft jumpshot they started slowing down, tiring out, and missing more shots. WHO KNEW!?!?!?!
agreed and noticed this myself, fundamental basketball is still proven to work after all these years and it's not always about the glory of a 3 point shot everytime, 2's still get it done with an occasional and 1 as a bonus...I still don't think we take advantage of 7220 like we should but maybe that's psychological
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 am I don't think Edwards is Shroyer 2.0 but I do have my concerns. That being said, I noticed in the game against EWU that when the shots weren't falling, the offensive sets were changed and we started slashing more. And wouldnt you know it, you get to basket and good things happen. Once we started putting pressure on them and made them defend more than a 35 ft jumpshot they started slowing down, tiring out, and missing more shots. WHO KNEW!?!?!?!
agreed and noticed this myself, fundamental basketball is still proven to work after all these years and it's not always about the glory of a 3 point shot everytime, 2's still get it done with an occasional and 1 as a bonus...I still don't think we take advantage of 7220 like we should but maybe that's psychological
The idea of the way Golden State plays basketball is alluring. But you have to have elite shooters. Very few teams at this level have a group of elite shooters. We will be a better team running, gunning, and slashing. We have good athletes. We don't have good shooters. I agree completely, we haven't taken advantage of 7220 since McClain. Would love to see Edwards take the reigns off and run and get after teams!