Fresno State

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Fresno is owning the paint. Need stops & thats where we are at.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

This staff has absolutely no idea what to do to change it up when nothing works. They just keep it more of the same and hope it works itself out. Frustrating
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Hope we are on the opposite side of the bracket from Fresno in the mw tournament. First conference team this season that I have seen us play that I feel we match up really bad against and have no answer for their bigs
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

WyomingAg wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:21 pm Hope we are on the opposite side of the bracket from Fresno in the mw tournament. First conference team this season that I have seen us play that I feel we match up really bad against and have no answer for their bigs
I'd agree with this. Pokes have struggled with Fresno for years now. They are just getting blasted today and its just a blowout. Fresno are always athletic, physical, and will D up. They embody the toughness of the city they're from. Fresno can be a pretty gritty, gritty place.
Riding High!!!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

The Fresno coach is damn good. He prepared to exploit the Poke weaknesses: 1) inability to keep players from driving to the paint, 2) inability to shoot against a close guarding, aggressive defense, 3) inability (more of a neglect to do so) to get an offensive rebound. Edwards didn't appear to prepare at all. Probably too proud of his victory against a fairly weak CSU team missing its best two players.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

This game was over before the half. We've had the same lack everything since the opening tip.

Getting beat at home by CSU and FRE both were pretty frustrating games to watch.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

:nutkick: That was just an ass kicking. I can see why fans are frustrated, but I'm still behind this team/staff. Games like this though make everyone's concerns/questions loom larger. Welp...let's hope the Pokes win enough to stay in the top 5 in seeding then make a tourney run.
Riding High!!!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Dominated from start to finish
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Real ugly game today. It was over really before it even started. The Pokes didn’t look like they had other plan today and were bummed they had to play today.... bad bad bad. Out played and our coached.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

I can't believe I watched that entire train wreck of a game.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

The thing that we were most afraid of happened today: Gorski got all of Adams' minutes because he made three 3ptrs last game. Adams has the shortest leash of any player in history. He had one turnover and one foul and then didn't see the court for the whole game.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:27 pm The thing that we were most afraid of happened today: Gorski got all of Adams' minutes because he made three 3ptrs last game. Adams has the shortest leash of any player in history. He had one turnover and one foul and then didn't see the court for the whole game.
My family and I were just talking about this. It makes absolutely no sense. One of the only players we have who could match FSU athletically rode pine for over 35 of the 40 minutes played.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 pm
'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:27 pm The thing that we were most afraid of happened today: Gorski got all of Adams' minutes because he made three 3ptrs last game. Adams has the shortest leash of any player in history. He had one turnover and one foul and then didn't see the court for the whole game.
My family and I were just talking about this. It makes absolutely no sense. One of the only players we have who could match FSU athletically rode pine for over 35 of the 40 minutes played.
Makes sense to me.After nearly 2 years of Adams, there's a reason he has a short lease. He comes in and turns it over immediately and then gets lost on defense. In his 10 minutes at csewe, he was 1-5 with 3 turnovers. He may be athletic, but he's out of control and he has to have the basketball or he does nothing. The way we were outsized today, I would have had Momoeka, Herndon, Dalton, and JJ on the court at once. We had no answer for them in the paint.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:08 pm
Makes sense to me.After nearly 2 years of Adams, there's a reason he has a short lease. He comes in and turns it over immediately and then gets lost on defense. In his 10 minutes at csewe, he was 1-5 with 3 turnovers. He may be athletic, but he's out of control and he has to have the basketball or he does nothing. The way we were outsized today, I would have had Momoeka, Herndon, Dalton, and JJ on the court at once. We had no answer for them in the paint.
There’s no sense in talking about this if you truly believe Aka Gorski is a better option than Adams. Adams is a high risk High reward kinda player while AG is a low risk no reward kind of player. He offers nothing of note.
Last edited by ItSucksToBeACSURam on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

I'm guessing Utah State and UNLV saw this game and will use the same tactics Fresno used: pressure man-to-man defense and drive inside. UNLV has the players to do it. Utah State not so much, so that game could be very close - even a loss - if the Pokes shoot as poorly as today.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:52 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:08 pm
There’s no sense in talking about this if you truly believe Aka Gorski is a better option than Adams. Adams is a high risk High reward kinda player while AG is a low risk no reward kind of player. He offers nothing of note.
I didn't say that. But at some point, the coaching staff just gives up when a player just does whatever he wants. And no, I wouldn't play Gorski more. Play Kelly and Redding. But I'm sick of seeing a player who isn't a freshman, but continues to make the biggest bone head plays of anyone on the team.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

Edwards has been slowly moving away from the Shyatt model of tight defense. I think he has completed the move. Does he have the talent to play tight against the offense as Fresno did? Maybe he thinks he doesn't. Or he just doesn't focus on that. He certainly lacks offensive talent to do otherwise.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Cosmic Cowboy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:16 pm Where is Lou? Bring him in and try to up the intensity towards the rack.
Our coach is mentally retarded for not playing Lou. Whatever gorski and Redding bring it pales in comparison to what Lou brings
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:20 pm Edwards has been slowly moving away from the Shyatt model of tight defense. I think he has completed the move. Does he have the talent to play tight against the offense as Fresno did? Maybe he thinks he doesn't. Or he just doesn't focus on that. He certainly lacks offensive talent to do otherwise.
By advanced/efficiency metrics, Wyoming is actually far better on the defensive end than on offense. When you factor in the extra possessions we give other teams because we jack up threes in transition or early in the shot clock and turn the ball over, this is actually a top-75 defensive team. The frustrating part is that on account of all the easy buckets we give up in the paint at times, they could rate even higher.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

That was a rough game. Wonder if the overtimes in the last 3 games contributed? The refs let the teams bang and get physical which didn't help us and played to Fresno's strengths.Not claiming we got hosed by the refs or that they were bad neccesarilly, just that they let things go and let it get very physical and didn't call much which isn't really our style and is Fresno's.

This is one you just have to put behind you and move forward.