Wyoming Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Vapoke
Cowpoke

As the season bears down on the BIG XII Championships I thought I would give some insight on who I think will make the big show in Cleveland.

125 Drake Foster - He needs to beat the Air Force guy this Friday and do well in the tourney. Right now he is not in the top 33.

133 Bridges can only help getting better seeding

141 Meredith - enough said

149 Turner - he has been super up and down and I think he would be a better 141, but has a chance to qualify based on how he does in the conference tourney

157 Colgan - can improve his stock

165 Ashworth - can improve his stock

174 Pope - he is in the Top 33 in RPI but not ranked. He is going to need a deep run. He has wrestled well this season.

184 Polson - same as Pope.

197 Paine - I don't think he has the match count this year

285 Eagan - It depends on which guy shows up. He can be good or awful in the same match.

Wyoming has a really good chance to qualify 7, but it will depend on the Pope, Polson, and Foster show. I don't think Wyoming sends anyone at 197 or HWT.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

It's hard to say and you are making some assumptions of what wrestlers will compete and where. I don't think Polson has done enough to get any sort of at-large...I tend to think Branch might have a trick up his sleeve for the Big 12s. To my understanding, there are no rules about wrestlers wrestling above their normal weight classes for post season competition.

Based on the foregoing and in an effort to get the best wrestlers in the lineup with the most qualifiers, if I were the coach, I would consider moving Polson up to 197 and having Krueger compete at 184s.

I see it as:

Locks: Bridges, Meredith, Colgan, Ashworth
Good Chance: Turner, Pope
Possibility: Polson, Krueger (if he is in the lineup), Foster
Unlikely: Eagan, Paine (if he is even in the lineup)
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 pm It's hard to say and you are making some assumptions of what wrestlers will compete and where. I don't think Polson has done enough to get any sort of at-large...I tend to think Branch might have a trick up his sleeve for the Big 12s. To my understanding, there are no rules about wrestlers wrestling above their normal weight classes for post season competition.

Based on the foregoing and in an effort to get the best wrestlers in the lineup with the most qualifiers, if I were the coach, I would consider moving Polson up to 197 and having Krueger compete at 184s.

I see it as:

Locks: Bridges, Meredith, Colgan, Ashworth
Good Chance: Turner, Pope
Possibility: Polson, Krueger (if he is in the lineup), Foster
Unlikely: Eagan, Paine (if he is even in the lineup)
I think this is right on, but I might consider Foster to have a good chance the way he's been wrestling as of late
Vapoke
Cowpoke

I based Pope and Polson off of RPI rankings that were released and they are in the Top 33. They have been wrestling well, so hopefully they carry that into March.
Drake has wrestled really well. Paine has done well at 197 also. We shall see though.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

I wouldn’t say Turner has been up and down. He’s been consistently pretty good with a couple big wins mixed in. He’s got a bright future ahead. Pleasant surprise