Men's Basketball Future Roster changes?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I hate to assume the worst, but having Mack and Naughton not on the bench for so long now makes me worried we may not see them on the team going forward. Of course I hope that it's only injury rehab and/or extra academic focus and they're still 110% committed to the Brown & Gold.

If we do happen to have a scholarship become available, I wonder if our coaches have been keeping tabs on anyone? Pitt had a rough year and fired their coach so maybe Parker Stewart is looking for a different opportunity?

http://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/ ... 8%3Fs%3D21
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Mack hasn't been on the bench? At the beginning of the year I knew he wasn't but then he started being on the bench. Thought I remember seeing him there the last home game but maybe not. This is the first I've heard about him not being there.
Naughton I think is done. There have been some cryptic posts here about him being a bad boy so it wouldn't surprise me if he is gone next year.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

As far as I know Mack has been on the bench since about mid-season. I am pretty sure I saw him last night. Him and Thompson are usually sitting next to each on the end of the bench. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he has been there every game since his concussion had cleared enough for him to play.

I don't think Naughton will be back. I don't know anything, but I did notice he wasn't on the bench and combined with jc's post on here, I suspect he will not return.

We already have 2 scholarships available for next year still open and would have 3 if Naughton departs. Need to sign a big, a PG, and then probably best available player.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 am As far as I know Mack has been on the bench since about mid-season. I am pretty sure I saw him last night. Him and Thompson are usually sitting next to each on the end of the bench. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he has been there every game since his concussion had cleared enough for him to play.
TSpoke wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:59 am Mack hasn't been on the bench? At the beginning of the year I knew he wasn't but then he started being on the bench. Thought I remember seeing him there the last home game but maybe not. This is the first I've heard about him not being there.
Here's the highlights from the game yesterday, I see Thompson as the only guy on the bench in the normal black sweats. Also last Saturday in Boise I was able to sit very close to the team bench. Mack did not make that trip. Maybe he's only there for home games? But if the concussion is cleared, why can't he travel just like Thompson?

NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

cali2wyo wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am
NowherePoke wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 am As far as I know Mack has been on the bench since about mid-season. I am pretty sure I saw him last night. Him and Thompson are usually sitting next to each on the end of the bench. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he has been there every game since his concussion had cleared enough for him to play.
TSpoke wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:59 am Mack hasn't been on the bench? At the beginning of the year I knew he wasn't but then he started being on the bench. Thought I remember seeing him there the last home game but maybe not. This is the first I've heard about him not being there.
Here's the highlights from the game yesterday, I see Thompson as the only guy on the bench in the normal black sweats. Also last Saturday in Boise I was able to sit very close to the team bench. Mack did not make that trip. Maybe he's only there for home games? But if the concussion is cleared, why can't he travel just like Thompson?

You might be right. Damn. We are hemorrhaging players. I swear I saw him in a very recent game though (wasn't he there at senior night?). Maybe something happened recently.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:29 am
cali2wyo wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am

You might be right. Damn. We are hemorrhaging players. I swear I saw him in a very recent game though (wasn't he there at senior night?). Maybe something happened recently.
I think I remember him at senior night as well. So unless something just recent happened I wouldn't worry too much about it. Could be something with the number of players they are allowed to travel or something. I don't know.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Could be any number of things. Maybe he did get in trouble, or maybe he is having some post-concussion syndrome symptoms, so traveling isn't a good idea. Or maybe his grades aren't where they need to be, and missing a week of classes isn't in his best interest. Or another injury, or some sort of traveling restriction, or...lots of other reasons.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 am Could be something with the number of players they are allowed to travel or something. I don't know.
Very good point. It's almost comical at times how much more crowded our bench area is compared to some opponents!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

cali2wyo wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:21 pm
TSpoke wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 am Could be something with the number of players they are allowed to travel or something. I don't know.
Very good point. It's almost comical at times how much more crowded our bench area is compared to some opponents!
As far as Mack goes I do remember seeing him Senior night. It was also his own decision to red shirt this season. I don't think there are any second thoughts...I don't think anyone really has full clarity of the situation except the coaching staff though.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Seems like it's a mutual decision to have him stay in Laramie for road trips...
http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... fc71f.html
He says all the right things here!
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

cali2wyo wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm Seems like it's a mutual decision to have him stay in Laramie for road trips...
Good to hear. Really hope for him that he is able to get past the concussion issues. Very excited to see him compete at UW.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

NowherePoke wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:26 am
cali2wyo wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm Seems like it's a mutual decision to have him stay in Laramie for road trips...
Good to hear. Really hope for him that he is able to get past the concussion issues. Very excited to see him compete at UW.
From the tapes I’ve watched of him, he has a very similar game to that of Jimmer Fredette and Sam Merrill. Same build as well. He will definitely be an upgrade over Gorski
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

This team imo does not need just a single addition, it needs a pretty big renovation to be in the upper half of the conference.

First of all, I am assuming that Naughton is gone from all of the reports. Secondly, I would find a place for Mueller in a program where he will be able to play. I wish we could replace Jones' place with someone that could make a contribution, but realistically I don't see how you can do that since he has already transferred once.

I would keep:
Justin James
Hunter Maldonado
Hunter Thompson
Anthony Mack
Andrew Moemeka
Brodricks Jones

New signees:
Brandon Porter
Bradley Belt
Trevon Taylor

I would NOT put either Ny Redding or Cody Kelley on scholarship, and I would cut down the minutes of Cody Kelley and Ny Redding. They are fine bench players who would give your starting point a breath or two for no more than 10 minutes a game. That would be hard to do as Ny Redding is the step-son of one of the assistant coaches and Cody Kelley has played so much this year, but if you want to win it is what needs to be done.

That would leave 4 open scholarships for this signing period. I would get two bigs, one PG and the other would be the best available. One of those bigs has to be a contributor, and the PG should be a contributor as well. This team lacked leadership this year, and there was no one out on the floor who was a distributor and a leader!
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:54 pm

That would leave 4 open scholarships for this signing period. I would get two bigs, one PG and the other would be the best available. One of those bigs has to be a contributor, and the PG should be a contributor as well. This team lacked leadership this year, and there was no one out on the floor who was a distributor and a leader!
I agree with most of what you said, but accomplishing these goals is not likely. We would have to get lucky to recruit the type of impact player you are looking for.

We need to be a player development program, and I am just not seeing it, either in strength and conditioning, or general basketball skills. I think Cody Kelly is the only one who has improved a significant amount since last year, and that is just because he had so much room for improvement and really got thrown into the fire this year.

Naughton, Jones, and Redding should have all been contributors this year given their time in the program, and they weren't even close.

ww
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

WilyWapiti wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 am
PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:54 pm

I agree with most of what you said, but accomplishing these goals is not likely. We would have to get lucky to recruit the type of impact player you are looking for.

We need to be a player development program, and I am just not seeing it, either in strength and conditioning, or general basketball skills. I think Cody Kelly is the only one who has improved a significant amount since last year, and that is just because he had so much room for improvement and really got thrown into the fire this year.

Naughton, Jones, and Redding should have all been contributors this year given their time in the program, and they weren't even close.

ww
If you aren't able to or willing to make the hard decisions then just get used to the mediocrity and don't complain when the Pokes have those painful early season losses to teams that they shouldn't lose to and don't complain about last season losing spells and don't complain about coming up short again for post season play.

I do not accept the argument that Wyoming is ONLY a developmental program and that it is impossible to get impact players right out of high school, that is an excuse for failures. If the coaches go after some international players maybe they can get that impact big, hell plenty of mid level schools are doing it now.

Mediocrity breeds mediocrity and that is what we have now going on imo, and all we have are the excuse birds out there..."its really hard recruiting to Wyoming" or "we can never get impact players"....it has been almost 30 years since the Brandenburg years, and while he was excellent at developing players he also got players like Fennis that actually produced their first year.....it can be done, but I for one am tired of mediocrity.