Starting 5 / Rotation

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Seniors: Justin James (?), Jordan Naughton, Ny Redding
Juniors: Jake Hendricks, Sam Averbuck
Sophomores: Hunter Maldonado, Austin Mueller
Freshmen: Hunter Thompson, TJ Taylor, Bradley Belt, Tariq Johnson, Brandon Porter, Trace Young

Unless they add another post, this is truly going to be an era of positionless basketball. With exception of Ny Redding (6-0), Jordan Naughton (6-10) and Hunter Thompson (6-10), everyone is between 6-4 and 6-8 and can play multiple positions.

Who gets in the rotation next year?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:25 pm Seniors: Justin James (?), Jordan Naughton, Ny Redding
Juniors: Jake Hendricks, Sam Averbuck
Sophomores: Hunter Maldonado, Austin Mueller
Freshmen: Hunter Thompson, TJ Taylor, Bradley Belt, Tariq Johnson, Brandon Porter, Trace Young

Unless they add another post, this is truly going to be an era of positionless basketball. With exception of Ny Redding (6-0), Jordan Naughton (6-10) and Hunter Thompson (6-10), everyone is between 6-4 and 6-8 and can play multiple positions.

Who gets in the rotation next year?

Too early to say as I expect the last two scholarships to both go to transfers that can play immediately (either grad or JC). If that is the case, you would probably expect them to be in the rotation.

James/Maldonado are givens in the rotation. Everything else is under for grabs.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:22 pmJames/Maldonado are givens in the rotation. Everything else is under for grabs.
My current guess is James, Maldonado, Naughton and Thompson plus all six new guys in the 10-man rotation.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:27 pm
NowherePoke wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:22 pmJames/Maldonado are givens in the rotation. Everything else is under for grabs.
My current guess is James, Maldonado, Naughton and Thompson plus all six new guys in the 10-man rotation.
James goes without saying....as long as he comes back and I fully expect him to. Maldonado certainly has the next best chance of returning to the starting line-up. I do not expect to see Naughton in playing much over 10 to 15 minutes if that. He might start (I doubt it) but then would fairly quickly sit down until much later. Thompson I would hope would play and possibly start. But I would think that Jake Hendricks would have a great chance of starting, and I would also think that Trace Young would have a great chance. There is one player that hasn't even signed yet that I would think would have a great chance and that would be a lead guard that would be a graduate transfer (if we get him). I also think that Tariq Johnson will see a lot of court time this year.

My starting 5:

James
Maldonado
Hendricks
Young
Thompson

next off the bench:
Johnson
Mueller
Belt
Naughton

Things could change depending upon the lead guard that they sign.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:55 pm
James goes without saying....as long as he comes back and I fully expect him to. Maldonado certainly has the next best chance of returning to the starting line-up. I do not expect to see Naughton in playing much over 10 to 15 minutes if that. He might start (I doubt it) but then would fairly quickly sit down until much later. Thompson I would hope would play and possibly start. But I would think that Jake Hendricks would have a great chance of starting, and I would also think that Trace Young would have a great chance. There is one player that hasn't even signed yet that I would think would have a great chance and that would be a lead guard that would be a graduate transfer (if we get him). I also think that Tariq Johnson will see a lot of court time this year.

My starting 5:

James
Maldonado
Hendricks
Young
Thompson

next off the bench:
Johnson
Mueller
Belt
Naughton

I think you're pretty much on-point with my thoughts. I spent time today watching the incoming guys a little on Youtube since I'm house-bound with this blizzard hitting MN. Young and Johnson impressed me the most. I think they'll be first in line for time. Hendricks will probably get more time too, just having a little more experience.

As for the Naughton thing, I think it was his back issues that hindered his playing time this year more than the playing style. Yes they want to run, but Edwards has consistently talked about how Jordan is one of the best big men in the league. That's an asset they can use if he's healthy.

If it's me putting together the lineups, I have one of Naughton or Thompson on the court at all times, with four perimeter players around them.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:44 pm
PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:55 pm

My starting 5:

James
Maldonado
Hendricks
Young
Thompson

next off the bench:
Johnson
Mueller
Belt
Naughton

I think you're pretty much on-point with my thoughts. I spent time today watching the incoming guys a little on Youtube since I'm house-bound with this blizzard hitting MN. Young and Johnson impressed me the most. I think they'll be first in line for time. Hendricks will probably get more time too, just having a little more experience.

As for the Naughton thing, I think it was his back issues that hindered his playing time this year more than the playing style. Yes they want to run, but Edwards has consistently talked about how Jordan is one of the best big men in the league. That's an asset they can use if he's healthy.

If it's me putting together the lineups, I have one of Naughton or Thompson on the court at all times, with four perimeter players around them.
Sounds like you are having way too much fun up there in Minnesota.

I do think that we are on a similar track. I should add that there is some talk about both of the last two scholarships being given out the grad transfers. One for the point, and whomever that might be. The other, there has been some talk that the coaching staff targeted a 6'-8" 240 transfer from Pacific, whom evidently likes to shoot the 3, and Pacific didn't given him enough chances for his taste, they say. If we get two grad transfers then they both might fit into the rotation somewhere.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 pmSounds like you are having way too much fun up there in Minnesota.
Tell me about it. Less than an hour's drive from here, towns got 24" of snow in a 24-hour period.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:16 am
PotatoCreekPete wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 pmSounds like you are having way too much fun up there in Minnesota.
Tell me about it. Less than an hour's drive from here, towns got 24" of snow in a 24-hour period.
Sounds like you need a bigger shovel. In all seriousness, that is incredible. Stay warm my friend.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Sam Averbuck has transferred from UW as well...
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:11 pm Sam Averbuck has transferred from UW as well...
Not surprised.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

I can see JJ as the sixth man and getting 22 mins a game. That’s what AE does, he doesn’t like to play his best players. I pray that the light goes off and we play our best 7-8 players and that’s all! I want us to field the best possible team, I don’t care who the heck plays. With that being said, our new recruits look good, but the transition from AAU and high school ball to the college level is a big leap. The only truly proven player coming back is JJ. Maldonado had serious flashes this past year, especially defensively
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

It just depends on which incoming players adjust the quickest to College basketball. It should be easier for our guys then most incoming freshman since they are all coming from prep school which plays a Juco schedule. These guys are like taking juco guys after their first year but we get them for 4 years instead of 3.

I'm excited to see how this team comes together.(Not excited in that I am making big predictions of conference championships or anything just excited to see all the new guys and see this brand new team playing)