Martinez suspended indefinitely

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred
Same witness said Martinez was approx 15 feet away before kicking victim. Said kick "looked like a perfect soccer kick." #gowyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

wow this stuff is crazy. mother f-word Derek Cooke is starting to look like a punk. him and sellers like to go out to the bars the night before games as well. trust me they aren't hard to find in a packed bar.
so what's it looking like for Martinez? they gonna make a deal with him?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Patrick Martinez, Luke Martinez. No more Martinez allowed at UW.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Ben Fred:
Martinez admitted he kicked the victim in the head/face when he was on the ground while victim couldnt defend himself
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WYO1016 wrote:Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred
One witness said the victim swung at Martinez and missed. Witness said Cooke punched victim in temple in attempt to protect Martinez #gowyo
Probably why Cooke has not charged. Self-defense can extend to protection of others.

(a)A person is guilty of aggravated assault and battery if he:
(i)� Causes or attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another intentionally, knowingly or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life;

What hurts Luke the most is the "recklessly" mens rea of causing serious bodily injury. Luke probably didn't intend to or know he would cause serious bodily injury but his reckless actions may have manifested an "extreme indifference to the value of human life."

His career at UW is over and I would expect a suspension from the University as well. I think based upon what has been released that the liklihood of being convicted of a felony isn't high, but that it may be pled to a misdemeanor.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

My opinion again...sounds like a fight that just got out of hand. I want to know what LEAD to the fight. Luke was a stupid @ss, but weird that he admitted jhe did what he did, but it wasnt until AFTER the dude who got jacked up came forward (cause of huge medical bills prob) that this is unravleing now.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

IF he actually kicked a guy in the head, he should be locked up.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Martinez told police he had possibly "stepped" on victim's head. Later said he had possibly "stomped" victim's head. #gowyo
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Affidavit says Martinez did verbally admit that he caused serious bodily injury to victim knowingly or recklessly #gowyo
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Keep in mind, as a felony, Luke will have to appear in District Court. Initial appearances usually, as in Luke's case, are made in Circuit Court.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

He's gone. Guess Cowboys fans should be happy Cooke isn't as well. Either way, we're the thugs now, like it or not. People are already talking about it at work... feels weird having CU fans talking about Cowboys being thugs. In this case, it's deserved. Wonder if this will affect recruiting?
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... a1f842fce6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only cowards kick people in the head when they are down and out. This is not good
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

djm19 wrote:Either way, Luke's career is over at UW. Cooke and Sobey need a swift kick in the @ss as well.
yep he's done
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:He's gone. Guess Cowboys fans should be happy Cooke isn't as well. Either way, we're the thugs now, like it or not. People are already talking about it at work... feels weird having CU fans talking about Cowboys being thugs. In this case, it's deserved. Wonder if this will affect recruiting?
Who the f-word cares what a couple Cu fans think? And no it won't affect recruiting. Why would it?

Bottom line is, if Luke is gone then we'll still be fine. We won't have the weapons, but we'll still have the coaching. We're currenty 2-1 w/out Luke losing on a buzzer beater to a highly ranked RPI team that needed every bit of their best 3 pt shooting night of the year to beat the Pokes.

Go POkes!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

from here on out Papa Shyatt has to impose a curfew or some type of regulations during the season about abolishing establishments during their season....I have no use for thugs of this type!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:He's gone. Guess Cowboys fans should be happy Cooke isn't as well. Either way, we're the thugs now, like it or not. People are already talking about it at work... feels weird having CU fans talking about Cowboys being thugs. In this case, it's deserved. Wonder if this will affect recruiting?
Who the f-word cares what a couple Cu fans think? And no it won't affect recruiting. Why would it?

Bottom line is, if Luke is gone then we'll still be fine. We won't have the weapons, but we'll still have the coaching. We're currenty 2-1 w/out Luke losing on a buzzer beater to a highly ranked RPI team that needed every bit of their best 3 pt shooting night of the year to beat the Pokes.

Go POkes!!
If CU fans are talking about it, so is everybody else. It's on ESPN now, and they'll fill in details soon. We care because this is how we talked when the CU football players got into trouble, or when the New Mexico thugs did it... we're the bad guys now. It WILL affect recruiting, I can pretty much guarantee it. Something like this sticks with a program for years. It could potentially even affect the football program.

Shyatt needs to be proactive and impose restrictions and curfews on his players to show that he's doing something to prevent this from ever happening again.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

It won't affect recruiting from the standpoint of us being able to get recruits, it may affect recruiting in terms of considering CHARACTER in evaluating whether we choose to recruit someone. Thankfully we have Schyatt, who is one of the HIGHEST character coaches in the country!

BTW, anyone ever notice that the Women's basketball team produces quite a few scholars and few/if any character problems. I just think we need to give the women's program, and especially Legerski, credit for that.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote:from here on out Papa Shyatt has to impose a curfew or some type of regulations during the season about abolishing establishments during their season....I have no use for thugs of this type!

I agree.... we are the thugs look at our team recently.

Leonard and shakir Smith get breaking and entering and assault.

Smith gets robbery

Luke Martinez gets a felony assault. with other teammates who were involved and ran away.

f-word suspend Cooke and sobey. we don't need this poop we aren't Lsu or miami
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote:It won't affect recruiting from the standpoint of us being able to get recruits, it may affect recruiting in terms of considering CHARACTER in evaluating whether we choose to recruit someone. Thankfully we have Schyatt, who is one of the HIGHEST character coaches in the country!

BTW, anyone ever notice that the Women's basketball team produces quite a few scholars and few/if any character problems. I just think we need to give the women's program, and especially Legerski, credit for that.
Shyatt not schyatt.

and do girls ever go do this poop?
djm19
WyoNation Addict

okay guys, here is the WORST part about this....

Reruiting, perception, etc... it will blow over.

Here is the biggest issue-

We have a dozen guys on the team, battling for the MW title and one of the best seasons in Cowboy basketball history. And along comes this gigantic distraction. I feel for the guys here to play ball and get an education. I can't imagine how big of a distraction this has got to be for them. Shyatt and players are saying the right things, but it is a mirage. This has to be affecting the locker rooom. Not sure how it can't.

We could be looking at the biggest roller coaster of basketball hisotry. High of highs and low of lows. Riding high first half and "possibly" could be lowest of low the secodn half of season.

Although the most cliche thing I can say, time for the players to Cowboy Up. They will need it.