Martinez suspended indefinitely

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Charges filed against Luke for his bar room brawl on the 30th. He's out for the foreseeable future.
nirv117
Ranch Hand

very interesting.
God is a Cowboy
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

OUCH!!! Just when we get our hopes up that we were close to getting him back, this happens. Bummer. Whats the Limit on how many games a person can play before they are ineligible for a medical redshirt? Could he have redshirted before this?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Not like he was going to be playing for awhile anyways.

But charges are just now being filed? Dammit.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Well, poop
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

What happened to no charges filed and none are going to be filed? Isn't that what was reported last?
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

COS Cowboy wrote:What happened to no charges filed and none are going to be filed? Isn't that what was reported last?
Witnesses and more info. I know I got ridiculed for this last time, but this behavior is inexcusable. People said he was protecting his girlfriend, this that and the other. Blah blah blah. He was in a bar. He shouldn't be. He got in a fight. He shouldn't have. Straight up childish and selfish behavior. I'm very disappointed.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

According to Gags' twitter feed he was arrested yesterday for aggravated assault from that fight.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Beyond sports, this is very unfortunate for Luke. Aggravated assault is not something usually taken lightly. The consequences of poor decision making is going to make life hell for him the next forseeable future. Sad really.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:Beyond sports, this is very unfortunate for Luke. Aggravated assault is not something usually taken lightly. The consequences of poor decision making is going to make life hell for him the next forseeable future. Sad really.
Does he get a trial, or has he already been convicted? From all accounts, he stuck around and cooperated with the police. So, maybe he isn't entirely at fault. We'll see.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:
djm19 wrote:Beyond sports, this is very unfortunate for Luke. Aggravated assault is not something usually taken lightly. The consequences of poor decision making is going to make life hell for him the next forseeable future. Sad really.
Does he get a trial, or has he already been convicted? From all accounts, he stuck around and cooperated with the police. So, maybe he isn't entirely at fault. We'll see.
Maybe. Hopefully not all his fault. But no one knows details; I still feel bad for him as a person. From a fan persepctive though and as an athlete for UW, it pisses me off. (Yes, I realize I am being selfish here, but when you are invested in a team so much, this stuff pisses me off.)

Great he stuck around. but the fact that he was arrested and witnesses have come forward....not good for him. Not saying he is going to prison or anything wild like that. It is FAR too early to be throwing crap like that, but the fact he was arrested and witnesses are involved, etc. i cant see him being back to the team for dam sure.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Washington is back after a few run ins...so long as there is no jail time, the school and Coach will work with the young man to make sure he is on the straight and narrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

If he was arrested that means the county, city or individual is pressing charges. It could also and is very likely to mean his basketball career in college is over. On that same note if the charges are dropped it's highly unlikely we will see him pay basketball again for wyo but at least outside of basketball things might get better.

Really sucks its going to hurt the Pokes bad if we don't have him for the rest of the year you can pretty much kiss those big wins goodbye.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

kdwrightuwyo wrote:Washington is back after a few run ins...so long as there is no jail time, the school and Coach will work with the young man to make sure he is on the straight and narrow.

I'm sure they will work with him but he is a senior so we won't see him play again.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

kdwrightuwyo wrote:Washington is back after a few run ins...so long as there is no jail time, the school and Coach will work with the young man to make sure he is on the straight and narrow.

I hope you are right, but these shenanigans are making us look like the Lobos or the college version of the Portland Jailblazers back in the day.
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

With SO much riding on this team, this really sucks. I was not there obviously, but Martinez should not have been there either. This screws up a part of his life which sucks for him personally, but it also affects his teammates, coaching staff and the fans. I hope he learns a lesson and can come back eventually. Even better, I hope he learns a lesson, is found not guilty and comes back soon! :)

GO POKES!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

Getting into a bar fight is one thing. What he did was another. Hence the charges.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:Getting into a bar fight is one thing. What he did was another. Hence the charges.
What exactly did he do that is warranting the charges?
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:
COS Cowboy wrote:What happened to no charges filed and none are going to be filed? Isn't that what was reported last?
Witnesses and more info. I know I got ridiculed for this last time, but this behavior is inexcusable. People said he was protecting his girlfriend, this that and the other. Blah blah blah. He was in a bar. He shouldn't be. He got in a fight. He shouldn't have. Straight up childish and selfish behavior. I'm very disappointed.
So does anyone know what the story is? The first story made it sound like it was nothing too terrible, now it's suddenly more serious and we probably won't see him play again.