Martinez suspended indefinitely

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby OrediggerPoke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 pm

JimmyDimes wrote:Hopefully the charges get dropped. I know absolutely nothing regarding this incident, but we can only hope cooler heads prevail. And Luke, if you are out causing problems, stop.


I just don't a a high chance that the charges would be dropped before the season ends. The criminal process takes awhile.
OrediggerPoke
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:57 pm


Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby Vt poke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Simple assault and disorderly conduct yes. Aggravated assault no way! It's not Luke's fault the guy has a glass jaw. All kidding aside, Luke made a poor choice of being at Buckhorn. The events after that at this point we will never know. Luke will have already paid a pretty strong consequence of letting his teammates down , missing games and the pain of a broken hand. Let him play
Vt poke
Buckaroo
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby BackHarlowRoad » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:56 pm

After some research, this is what I've concluded. I am not a lawyer:

From what I could gather, if all you do is punch someone in the mouth one time, break your hand, and wait for the cops to show....you could be charged with assault, but you are not going to be charged with AGGRAVATED assault. In order to be charged with aggravated assault, like Oredigger pointed out, it has to be with a deadly weapon, or with intention to cause 'serious bodily injury' with disregard for human life. Legally, 'serious bodily injury' is not a black eye. It's something that can potentially be life threatening.

Police need witnesses and/or evidence to arrest someone. It's safe to assume he wasn't arrested that night because they obviously didn't have those things at that time.

Will be interesting to find out what really went down that night.
"Is everyone around you an asshole? Chances are it's you who's being the asshole."
User avatar
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: SW Wyo

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby BeaverPoke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:06 pm

I hope to god that this isn't a case of some douche bag who got his ass kicked and is a bitter fuck trying to ruin Luke's career. And by career I mean the rest of his college basketball playing days as I doubt Luke will make the NBA, and I read somewhere that Luke wants to be a firefighter after basketball. I hope this thing won't stop him from doing that.
To accept mediocrity, we have to become mediocre first. I will be stoked when we become a mediocre program. That's better than what we have been.
User avatar
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby BackHarlowRoad » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:08 pm

BeaverPoke wrote:I hope to god that this isn't a case of some douche bag who got his ass kicked and is a bitter fuck trying to ruin Luke's career. And by career I mean the rest of his college basketball playing days as I doubt Luke will make the NBA, and I read somewhere that Luke wants to be a firefighter after basketball. I hope this thing won't stop him from doing that.


Well the only other alternative to this being the case is that Luke actually deserves the charges. I hope that's not the case either!
"Is everyone around you an asshole? Chances are it's you who's being the asshole."
User avatar
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: SW Wyo

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby OrediggerPoke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm

BeaverPoke wrote:I hope to god that this isn't a case of some douche bag who got his ass kicked and is a bitter fuck trying to ruin Luke's career. And by career I mean the rest of his college basketball playing days as I doubt Luke will make the NBA, and I read somewhere that Luke wants to be a firefighter after basketball. I hope this thing won't stop him from doing that.


A Felony conviction would undoubtedly ruin/impair his chances to become a firefighter. Very few jobs (and especially public sector jobs) don't require you to disclose felony convictions. Under federal law, you CAN"T carry or possess a firearm with a felony conviction.

That said, he is simply CHARGED at this point.
OrediggerPoke
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby seattlecowboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 pm

BeaverPoke wrote:I hope to god that this isn't a case of some douche bag who got his ass kicked and is a bitter fuck trying to ruin Luke's career. And by career I mean the rest of his college basketball playing days as I doubt Luke will make the NBA, and I read somewhere that Luke wants to be a firefighter after basketball. I hope this thing won't stop him from doing that.


Well to be honest this is only one persons fault. It is Lukes fault. He made the choice to go to the bar that night when he could have made a different choice. Someone else could be being a d-bag about it but if Luke wouldn't have put himself in the situation then it wouldn't have happened. So in reality the only person to blame is Luke himself. I'm sure Luke already knows all of this. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and not play the victims role whether it was his fault or not he should have never been there during the season.

Hopefully Luke isn't charged and everything works out fine for him. Whether he gets to play basketball again or not hopefully he doesn't have to have anything on his record. No reason to blame anyone else for the situation though quite frankly.
Image
User avatar
seattlecowboy
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby BeaverPoke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 pm

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I hope to god that this isn't a case of some douche bag who got his ass kicked and is a bitter fuck trying to ruin Luke's career. And by career I mean the rest of his college basketball playing days as I doubt Luke will make the NBA, and I read somewhere that Luke wants to be a firefighter after basketball. I hope this thing won't stop him from doing that.


Well the only other alternative to this being the case is that Luke actually deserves the charges. I hope that's not the case either!



I agree, if he did do something that would warrant the charges then that is something else.
To accept mediocrity, we have to become mediocre first. I will be stoked when we become a mediocre program. That's better than what we have been.
User avatar
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby seattlecowboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Also.... why in the hell is Shyatt even letting any members of the team go to the bar during the season? I mean I know Luke and some of the other players are old enough to drink but if I'm the coach I have a strict rule about no members of the team being allowed in any clubs or bars during the season and if you are caught at one then you get to miss a game or something. I would think Shyatt might have something in place after this situation because only bad can come from players hanging out in those types of places.

Of course maybe he had something in place already but it seems if he would have then Luke would have been suspended before.
Image
User avatar
seattlecowboy
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby BeaverPoke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 pm

seattlecowboy wrote:Also.... why in the hell is Shyatt even letting any members of the team go to the bar during the season? I mean I know Luke and some of the other players are old enough to drink but if I'm the coach I have a strict rule about no members of the team being allowed in any clubs or bars during the season and if you are caught at one then you get to miss a game or something. I would think Shyatt might have something in place after this situation because only bad can come from players hanging out in those types of places.

Of course maybe he had something in place already but it seems if he would have then Luke would have been suspended before.


That is wishful thinking but that is never going to happen.
You would never get players to stay 3 or 4 years here if they can not go out to the bar. They are 21 year olds and college kids. Just because they play college hoops wearing a UW jersey doesn't mean that they have to live a sheltered life.
I'm sure they want to be winning just as bad as we want them to
To accept mediocrity, we have to become mediocre first. I will be stoked when we become a mediocre program. That's better than what we have been.
User avatar
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby BeaverPoke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Also someone on the gowyogo board said that they arrested him at the Laramie airport? Any truth to that?
To accept mediocrity, we have to become mediocre first. I will be stoked when we become a mediocre program. That's better than what we have been.
User avatar
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby wyofan4life5 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:38 pm

im guessing they arrested him right when they got back from the Nevada trip
wyofan4life5
Ranch Hand
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:32 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby seattlecowboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:45 pm

BeaverPoke wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:Also.... why in the hell is Shyatt even letting any members of the team go to the bar during the season? I mean I know Luke and some of the other players are old enough to drink but if I'm the coach I have a strict rule about no members of the team being allowed in any clubs or bars during the season and if you are caught at one then you get to miss a game or something. I would think Shyatt might have something in place after this situation because only bad can come from players hanging out in those types of places.

Of course maybe he had something in place already but it seems if he would have then Luke would have been suspended before.


That is wishful thinking but that is never going to happen.
You would never get players to stay 3 or 4 years here if they can not go out to the bar. They are 21 year olds and college kids. Just because they play college hoops wearing a UW jersey doesn't mean that they have to live a sheltered life.
I'm sure they want to be winning just as bad as we want them to


Wishful thinking? I disagree. It is for only during the season. That means between November to March no bars. They don't need to be going out during that time anyways because they are concentrating on basketball. Other programs have these rules. I know Laramie isn't the greatest place with lots of things to do but it comes down to do you want to play basketball or not? It isn't a sheltered life because you don't get to go to the bar either.
Image
User avatar
seattlecowboy
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby Cuttslam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Maybe Luke and Shakir can be cellmates.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Image
User avatar
Cuttslam
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Goodyear, Arizona

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby djm19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:50 pm

seattlecowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:Also.... why in the hell is Shyatt even letting any members of the team go to the bar during the season? I mean I know Luke and some of the other players are old enough to drink but if I'm the coach I have a strict rule about no members of the team being allowed in any clubs or bars during the season and if you are caught at one then you get to miss a game or something. I would think Shyatt might have something in place after this situation because only bad can come from players hanging out in those types of places.

Of course maybe he had something in place already but it seems if he would have then Luke would have been suspended before.


That is wishful thinking but that is never going to happen.
You would never get players to stay 3 or 4 years here if they can not go out to the bar. They are 21 year olds and college kids. Just because they play college hoops wearing a UW jersey doesn't mean that they have to live a sheltered life.
I'm sure they want to be winning just as bad as we want them to


Wishful thinking? I disagree. It is for only during the season. That means between November to March no bars. They don't need to be going out during that time anyways because they are concentrating on basketball. Other programs have these rules. I know Laramie isn't the greatest place with lots of things to do but it comes down to do you want to play basketball or not? It isn't a sheltered life because you don't get to go to the bar either.


I would agree with this.

When I am at work, getting paid, I can't do things I can do it home. In college sports, you are on the clock as a player and ambassador for the school from season start to season end. (year round if you ask me, but that is beside the point). The least they can do is keep their nose clean for a few months. Wishful thinking? of course, but this kind of bull#### is getting old. I am donating money out of state to this University athletic program. For crying out loud, I just did my will and if I die, the Cowboy Joe Club and Athletic Dept is getting a decent chunk. A lot of us are invested emotionally and FINANCIALLY into this program. Stay out of the ####ing bars!
"I wanted to get back and be able to coach at the BCS level and coach BCS kids again and I think the University of Utah is a great opportunity for me to do those things."
User avatar
djm19
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: UT

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby djm19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Cuttslam wrote:Maybe Luke and Shakir can be cellmates.



Too soon??? :coffee:
"I wanted to get back and be able to coach at the BCS level and coach BCS kids again and I think the University of Utah is a great opportunity for me to do those things."
User avatar
djm19
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: UT

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby wyofan4life5 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:51 pm

I play NAIA football in Montana, and we have a no bar policy during the fall and it ends after out last game and then starts up again when spring ball starts.
wyofan4life5
Ranch Hand
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:32 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby djm19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:53 pm

one more thing---

If this turns out to be some @sswipe just getting Luke in trouble and pushing charges...then I still side with Luke. I dont agree with his behavior, but if this is a setup to get him in some trouble, then I will 100% side with Luke. Innocent until proven guilty. (but that doesnt mean i cant still be pissed off)...
"I wanted to get back and be able to coach at the BCS level and coach BCS kids again and I think the University of Utah is a great opportunity for me to do those things."
User avatar
djm19
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: UT

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby laxwyo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm guessing that this is one of them deals where no charges would have been filed if Luke wasn't on the basketball team.
Image
W-Y, Until I Fucking Die!
User avatar
laxwyo
WyoNation Addict
 
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby McPeachy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 pm

BeaverPoke wrote:Also someone on the gowyogo board said that they arrested him at the Laramie airport? Any truth to that?


No truth to that.
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. - Mitch Hedberg
User avatar
McPeachy
WyoNation Addict
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby McPeachy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Poke in Billings wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Getting into a bar fight is one thing. What he did was another. Hence the charges.


Really? You're going to put that out there, and leave everyone hanging?


Sorry. Hopefully Gags (etal) can pick it up and report it.

"An affidavit of probable cause, which will provide more information about Martinez's involvement in the Buckhorn fight, will also become public record on Tuesday."
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. - Mitch Hedberg
User avatar
McPeachy
WyoNation Addict
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby djm19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:58 pm

laxwyo wrote:I'm guessing that this is one of them deals where no charges would have been filed if Luke wasn't on the basketball team.


You are probably right. Probably a closet-drinking BYU guy.
"I wanted to get back and be able to coach at the BCS level and coach BCS kids again and I think the University of Utah is a great opportunity for me to do those things."
User avatar
djm19
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: UT

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby OrediggerPoke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:55 pm

djm19 wrote:
laxwyo wrote:I'm guessing that this is one of them deals where no charges would have been filed if Luke wasn't on the basketball team.


You are probably right. Probably a closet-drinking BYU guy.


I know some of your comment is TIC, but the reality is that felony charges aren't typically filed unless there is some substantial evidence and justification. Because felony charges were filed, I think this has nothing to do with athlete v. non-athlete and charges would have been filed regardless.

If only misdemeanor simple assault charges were filed, then my opinion may be different.

Although, we will all have a better idea tomorrow when details are released.
OrediggerPoke
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1857
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby gopokes1399 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Two things:
1st as a wyoming fan... I know i don't file charges if i am the one that got hit.

2nd Luke is an idiot why in the world would you go and get in a fight. It is one thing to go out and get drunk and be at the bars but come on. Use some damn sense!
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S COWBOYS, COWBOYS, COWBOYS
User avatar
gopokes1399
WyoNation Addict
 
Posts: 2242
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:18 am

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby laxwyo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Image
Image
W-Y, Until I Fucking Die!
User avatar
laxwyo
WyoNation Addict
 
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby laxwyo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Image
Image
W-Y, Until I Fucking Die!
User avatar
laxwyo
WyoNation Addict
 
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 am
Location: Rock Springs, WY

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby gopokes1399 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 pm

laxwyo wrote:Image


dumb
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S COWBOYS, COWBOYS, COWBOYS
User avatar
gopokes1399
WyoNation Addict
 
Posts: 2242
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:18 am

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby McPeachy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 am

OrediggerPoke wrote:felony charges aren't typically filed unless there is some substantial evidence and justification. Because felony charges were filed, I think this has nothing to do with athlete v. non-athlete and charges would have been filed regardless.


Bingo. Felony charges being filed, indicates everything is out of the hands of the victims, whether they want or not.
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. - Mitch Hedberg
User avatar
McPeachy
WyoNation Addict
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby djm19 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:40 am

A few things I have heard....

I heard he used a tire iron to jam in the tires of a motorized cart and then used a Cousin Eddie Moose Mug to smash the 79 year old lady in the melon, then he started to go around the parking lot roundhouse kicking people in the jaw like Patrick Swayze on Roadhouse.
"I wanted to get back and be able to coach at the BCS level and coach BCS kids again and I think the University of Utah is a great opportunity for me to do those things."
User avatar
djm19
A Real Cowboy
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: UT

Re: Martinez suspended indefinitely

Postby stymeman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:04 am

I am soooo disappointed by this whole issue, whom we thought was a team leader and trustworthy is slowly going south, maybe it's for the best that we sever ties with this troublemaker. Man oh man what a loss to such a promising player and a team leader, time for the rest of the team to step it up and let's see what we have with players that wanna be a part of something special. aaargh so disappointing
stymeman
WyoNation Addict
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Cheyenne, WY


PreviousNext

Return to Wyoming Basketball, Wrestling, etc

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TreasureStatePoke and 3 guests