2 sports High Schools in Gillette

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

thinking it's about time, their population can handle it and such, with this i can see Casper adding a 3rd high school upcoming as well, sign of the times and nice to watch Gillette compete with itself for a change
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

stymeman wrote:thinking it's about time, their population can handle it and such, with this i can see Casper adding a 3rd high school upcoming as well, sign of the times and nice to watch Gillette compete with itself for a change
Only if they do the schools by boundaries instead of open enrollment. If it's open, all the good athletes will go to one school and they will still be just as strong in all their sports.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
stymeman wrote:thinking it's about time, their population can handle it and such, with this i can see Casper adding a 3rd high school upcoming as well, sign of the times and nice to watch Gillette compete with itself for a change
Only if they do the schools by boundaries instead of open enrollment. If it's open, all the good athletes will go to one school and they will still be just as strong in all their sports.
Yeah, exactly. Those cheaters in Casper stack all their team this way. It's almost unfathomable that either Casper high school doesn't win the championship every year in any given sport. Kudos to Cheyenne for doing things honorably in regards to their high schools and boundaries. Afterall, high school sports is about giving the maximum number of kids the opportunity to learn and grow through athletics, not just to win.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I've always been impressed with Gillette. They always compete. But almost every town has at least two to four years per decade about everyother decade. Rock Springs is where I'm from and played, so I'll use them as an example. Rock Springs used to run away with everyone in basketball back in the 70's. State champs, Runner ups, they were always on top. We've since been quite mediocre. We had a few good years in the late 90's but had never fully recovered from an about 40 year drop off. Football we competed with Gillette for our championships in the 00's. Since, we've dropped off and I don't think have had a winning season since. Natrona has been having success here in the last few years in both bball and fball.
I just wonder when Gillette finally drops off. Success tends to follow Booms. Rock Springs Boomed in the 70's and again in the early 2000's. We had success. When the Boom slowed so did the winning. Gillette is still Booming.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Natrona for football and KW for Volleyball, happens everywhere, but we'll see with Gillette, in the long run to keep it fair and competitive Casper will truly need a 3rd high school cuz 11 doesn't cut it, 12 is better, but when will they be calling for Sheridan to go to a 2nd school, only time will tell
Wyocowboyj
Buckaroo

I am more surprised when a Casper School or Gillette doesn't win the state championship. This has been an injustice for 30 years.To make it fair Riverton and Lander should have the option to make one team or Rock Springs and Green River combine athletes to make one team. They still wouldn't have the number of students to draw from as Casper and Gillette. Hopefully Gillette finally does the right thing and uses a firm boundary like Cheyenne instead of open enrollment like NC & KW. That doesn't impress me much when Gillette or NC/KW wins a state championship when they have 2100 students and play teams like Evanston and Green River with 1/3 the students to draw from. Gillette is larger than most 5A schools in Colorado and Utah but plays against schools that would be small 4A or even 3A in the same states. NC/KW doesnt have the student population but has an even bigger pool to draw from for athletes which may be an even bigger injustice to the rest of the state in terms of fair play and sportsmanship. As long as the WHSAA stays in Casper and their staff all have kids attending these two schools nothing will change to level the playing field in the 4A classification.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wyocowboyj wrote:I am more surprised when a Casper School or Gillette doesn't win the state championship. This has been an injustice for 30 years.To make it fair Riverton and Lander should have the option to make one team or Rock Springs and Green River combine athletes to make one team. They still wouldn't have the number of students to draw from as Casper and Gillette. Hopefully Gillette finally does the right thing and uses a firm boundary like Cheyenne instead of open enrollment like NC & KW. That doesn't impress me much when Gillette or NC/KW wins a state championship when they have 2100 students and play teams like Evanston and Green River with 1/3 the students to draw from. Gillette is larger than most 5A schools in Colorado and Utah but plays against schools that would be small 4A or even 3A in the same states. NC/KW doesnt have the student population but has an even bigger pool to draw from for athletes which may be an even bigger injustice to the rest of the state in terms of fair play and sportsmanship. As long as the WHSAA stays in Casper and their staff all have kids attending these two schools nothing will change to level the playing field in the 4A classification.
+1,000,000 Very well said, Wyocowboyj.

It is an injustice. How many thousands of kids have been robbed of the opportunity to participate over the years? The communities of Casper and Gillette need to get over their collective selves and do the right thing when it comes to # of schools and boundaries.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Casper needs a 3rd high school as well, but they allow their kids/parents to choose which school they want to go to
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Well, they were almost ready to go to 2 schools. Of course, if they lose a third of their student body, they'll be around the same size as the Cheyenne schools and KW.

http://trib.com/sports/high-school/gill ... 4b19c.html

Guess we'll know more this summer.