Any baseball fans?

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
NDPokes
Buckaroo

Not sure how many people look over here for more forum talk, but I have a baseball Q for you.

After yesterday's injury to Pittsburgh SS Kang on a take out slide during a dbl play attempt, it seems some thought should be put into whether or not the take out slide should be normal baseball play. Any opinions on this?

I don't like the slide and never have. It makes what can be a tough play into something that MAY turn ugly and the SS always has to look to avoid.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

NDPokes wrote:Not sure how many people look over here for more forum talk, but I have a baseball Q for you.

After yesterday's injury to Pittsburgh SS Kang on a take out slide during a dbl play attempt, it seems some thought should be put into whether or not the take out slide should be normal baseball play. Any opinions on this?

I don't like the slide and never have. It makes what can be a tough play into something that MAY turn ugly and the SS always has to look to avoid.
There are two different ways the "take-out" slide are done. One is to break up a double play. The other is to injure someone. Usually the rule is that the person sliding has to be able to touch the bag with one hand, but even that can be dirty when someone comes in hard and doesn't slide until he gets to the bag and goes after the legs. I guess it's a judgement call by the ump.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

In my years of being an umpire, typically we are taught that the runner needs to be sliding into the bag. If they deviate towards the fielder more than is reasonable for the slide to be considered towards the bag, it is interference and both runners are out. Definitely a judgement call; I think it is part of the game and when done properly isn't a big deal. However, when someone clearly slides away from the base and towards a fielder, there should be more punishment (fine, suspension, etc.) regardless of if contact occurred.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Go Pirates, Go Royals!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Hate the takeout slide. Always have, always will. It gives an unfair advantage to the runners. If they're taking collisions at the plate out of the game, the takeout slide has to go as well. As well as the neighborhood rule.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

How bout them Royals!!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Holy hell! Any one else see the Diamondbacks new unis? They are sick!

Gonna cause a ton of drama with the white hairs but I love them!
https://twitter.com/BAnthony14/status/6 ... 5877642240