For the younger generation Poke fans

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Those who weren't around to remember undefeated seasons, national rankings and important bowl games. Who can't remember when Wyoming football really was relevant, here's a story you need to read. It's from the Sport Illustrated Vault from 1967 about the Wyoming football team. Enjoy. Click Me
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

The Virginian wrote:Those who weren't around to remember undefeated seasons, national rankings and important bowl games. Who can't remember when Wyoming football really was relevant, here's a story you need to read. It's from the Sport Illustrated Vault from 1967 about the Wyoming football team. Enjoy. Click Me
good read....kinda sad that just two years later the poop would hit the fan like it did
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

We have never really recovered from "that' incident!

GO POKES
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Douglaspoke wrote:We have never really recovered from "that' incident!

GO POKES

I've read quite a few articles about the fourteen players that were booted by Eaton.

Don't want to bring up bad memories, but it's just another reason I hate BYU.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Hayduke wrote:
Douglaspoke wrote:We have never really recovered from "that' incident!

GO POKES

I've read quite a few articles about the fourteen players that were booted by Eaton.

Don't want to bring up bad memories, but it's just another reason I hate BYU.
It's why I hate the basterds. If that "incident" never happened, Wyoming would've been playing/winning at least 1 or 2 National Championships.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

Thanks Virginian.......great to reminisce about the days of the opponents going three and out!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I knew that the yards in a game back then were less then today, but to actually read about it, and how little teams threw, is pretty incredible.

Also, would love to have a kicker like that, one who can boot it out of the EZ every time and nail long distance FGs like Jerry DePoyster.
CitizenCane
Buckaroo

Anybody here go to the Sugar Bowl? I begged and balled but couldn't get my grand parents to take me with them. Watched it on a little black and white set. The number I remember is Wyoming had 30,000 fans at that game. The states population was about 330,000 at the time.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Awesome find. Thanks for posting that.
I'm good for 3!
The Virginian
Cowpoke

CitizenCane wrote:Anybody here go to the Sugar Bowl? I begged and balled but couldn't get my grand parents to take me with them. Watched it on a little black and white set. The number I remember is Wyoming had 30,000 fans at that game. The states population was about 330,000 at the time.
No, didn't go but I clearly remember watching the game on TV. I was 13 at the time. My parents and I were invited to go over to a friend's house and watch on his new color TV! Things were more formal back then. Being that it was New Year's day, Dad and I dressed in suits and my mother in her Sunday finest to go over and watch the game. The outcome of the game was a downer, but I couldn't have been more prouder of my Cowboys that day.

BTW, here's a color news reel of the whole game:

This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I like those Wyoming jerseys. Hopefully we'll ditch the new age "Duck Wing"(go ahead and tell me again how they aren't Duck Wings) stupidity for something old school that embraces our history and tradition.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Cowboy Junky wrote:I like those Wyoming jerseys. Hopefully we'll ditch the new age "Duck Wing"(go ahead and tell me again how they aren't Duck Wings) stupidity for something old school that embraces our history and tradition.
+1

I want the 1987-96 unis to return. BADLY!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote:I like those Wyoming jerseys. Hopefully we'll ditch the new age "Duck Wing"(go ahead and tell me again how they aren't Duck Wings) stupidity for something old school that embraces our history and tradition.
This again? :roll:

For the 100th time, the jerseys aren't supposed to make you happy, they are supposed to make the players happy.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

That was some hyped up b.s. that DC spewed. Somehow he thought it gave us a recruiting advantage. If it was such an advantage he wouldn't be working at Utah as the o.c.

Jerseys are about merchandising and branding. I doubt either one is significantly better with the Duck Wing/Oregon wannabee scheme.

Let's brand ourselves on the history of when we were good, not on the recent history of when we were average at best.

I know you don't believe in Cowboy Tough, but it's our history and our tradition. It's time that we get back to that.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote:
I know you don't believe in Cowboy Tough, but it's our history and our tradition. It's time that we get back to that.
I don't know why you think I don't believe in Cowboy Tough.
I've never said I didn't.
The only thing I have said about it is that most of you fans jump down the throats of kids who decide Laramie isn't for them then act like we are all of a sudden better when someone leaves because we are more "tough".

I totally agree, it is time we start getting back to it. For a couple reasons, actually. 1: We will start winning again. 2: It might get everyone to shut up about how good we were in the 80's.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 2 times

BeaverPoke wrote:

For the 100th time, the jerseys aren't supposed to make you happy, they are supposed to make the players happy.
They're still f-word dumb.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Brew_Poke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

+1 Plus they are part of why Congress and our U.S. President are complete a-holes. The dumbing down of America.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
Brew_Poke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

+1 Plus they are part of why Congress and our U.S. President are complete a-holes. The dumbing down of America.
:lol: Dafuq?
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I watched this one on TV as well....my first year in college so I didn't have the funds to make the trip. I know all the younger fans get sick of hearing about "those were the days," but man, Wyoming was relevant in those days. People actually feared playing the Cowboys. I sincerely hope Coach Bohl can lead us back to being Cowboy Tough once again.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

CowboyNV wrote:I watched this one on TV as well....my first year in college so I didn't have the funds to make the trip. I know all the younger fans get sick of hearing about "those were the days," but man, Wyoming was relevant in those days. People actually feared playing the Cowboys. I sincerely hope Coach Bohl can lead us back to being Cowboy Tough once again.
I get it, you guys want us to be back to that level. It's your alma matter, you want it to be at the top, it makes sense.
But the fact that, that is ALL we have is what bothers me. It's not so much about "the old folks talking about the 80s" but more like...I don't want to hear about it because it is depressing to think that is ALL we have.

It just sucks that the highlights of Wyo football since I have been ALIVE are:
1. 2004 Vegas Bowl victory
2. 2009 NM Bowl victory
3. 10 win season resulting in no bowl game.
4. 1993 Copper Bowl loss
5. 2011 NM Bowl loss
That is 0 conference titles, 4 bowl games, and 2 bowl wins.

At that rate, I will be 33 the next time Wyo wins a bowl game.