So let's talk

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

cheypoke wrote:I'm worried about 2 specific aspects of the game that could be disasterous for the Pokes. First, thePokes ability or lack there of to get good pressure on the QB. I dont think they'll get anywhere near Colt and that in turn will make it easy for him to find receivers. I think we'll do decent against the run, but it wont matter.

Second, the kick offs. The Pokes inability to get the ball to the endzone on the kick will kill them this week. The coverage is still bad and, mark my words, will result in a run back by Texas this week.
From what I understand, Wyoming ran ZERO blitz packages against Weber. The only thing we did was rush our 3 DL...and I thought they provided adaquate pressure until we put it in prevent to start the 4th.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
cheypoke wrote:I'm worried about 2 specific aspects of the game that could be disasterous for the Pokes. First, thePokes ability or lack there of to get good pressure on the QB. I dont think they'll get anywhere near Colt and that in turn will make it easy for him to find receivers. I think we'll do decent against the run, but it wont matter.

Second, the kick offs. The Pokes inability to get the ball to the endzone on the kick will kill them this week. The coverage is still bad and, mark my words, will result in a run back by Texas this week.
From what I understand, Wyoming ran ZERO blitz packages against Weber. The only thing we did was rush our 3 DL...and I thought they provided adaquate pressure until we put it in prevent to start the 4th.
I thought that's what was happening. From time to time a linebacker would blitz, but it was only when the TE or RB he was covering stayed in to block. I'm really curious to see the play book opened up this weekend. We'll see everything the coaching staff has against a team like Texas.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

the deed wrote: I worry about things like altitude more than I should so thats my main concern.
If know anyone going to the game, you gotta ask them when they get back, how was it walking around Laramie. It noticed it as a very health 18 yr old my freshman yr and I'm from Wyoming (elevation about 5,000 ft). 7,220 ft is no joke, I am sure it will be odd for players accustomed to sea-level, but it shouldn't be worse than having the flu. ;) ;)
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Johnny Havoc
Buckaroo

If we can't get any pressure on McCoy then we can throw the towel in right now. he is the most accurate passer in the country.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Fullback41 wrote:
the deed wrote: I worry about things like altitude more than I should so thats my main concern.
If know anyone going to the game, you gotta ask them when they get back, how was it walking around Laramie. It noticed it as a very health 18 yr old my freshman yr and I'm from Wyoming (elevation about 5,000 ft). 7,220 ft is no joke, I am sure it will be odd for players accustomed to sea-level, but it shouldn't be worse than having the flu. ;) ;)
Lived in central Wyoming most of my life around 5,000 ft. Moved up to Billings Montana for a few years (3,000 ft). I used to ride my bike 30 or 40 miles a few times a week up there without problem. The first week i was in Laramie I attempted to ride my bike to work. Ended up pushing the bike up the last little incline to get there after stopping to catch my breath. It took a lot of work to get adjusted to the elevation. On a side note, Laramie in the winter time is the only place I can think of where I've had to pedal hard going downhill to keep the wind from stopping me.
TexasFight
Buckaroo

My flight leaves in a few hours. Will check back next week when I get back. Looking forward to a great experience, environment and hoping for an injury free game. Good luck guys.

Hook'em
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I realize that Texas is one hell of a good team, but that doesn't mean poop! We play great teams every year. Utah proved that they were every bit as good as the best teams in the country last year, TCU was also right up there. Everyone is acting as if we have never seen a team this good in the War, I disagree. Utah last year and in '04 were right up there with this Texas team. Granted the results of those games weren't what we are looking for, but Utah is used to playing here, and those were two poop Wyoming teams. I feel we have come a long way with DC. Mack is playing down the altitude, but it's real, and so are our nasty, rabid fans.

If the defense can play like they are capable, we hold on to the ball, and our special teams start to come around, we will be right in this game. We need to get pressure on McCoy! ULM got 2 sacks on him; we need triple that! Maybe Gary can come up with some more of the magic that he had in the first game.

I'm not predicting a victory but I'll bet it'll be a hell of a lot closer than what those poop are predicting over on rivals.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I'm not taking anything away from UT and I respect their #2 ranking, but I agree with you PokeNer. Their roster is loaded with 4 and 5 star recruits, but if those same recruits had chosen Wyoming or any MWC team, their rating would have been downgraded to 2 or 3 stars. If we weren't imtimidated at Neyland Stadium in front of 100,000 fans last year, we won't be against UT either. Give them your best shot Pokes!
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Johnny Havoc
Buckaroo

Texas would have beaten last year's Utah team, I have no doubt about that and TCU as well. They crushed TCU in 2007 34-13.