OT: Living In Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

makes me proud thru and thru
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: False.
Cheyenne had first pick, then Laramie, then Cheyenne, then Evanston.
Went east to west.
According to my Wyoming History teacher.

Plus with your argument about Rawlins having first pick, tons of people have the same story in Evanston.
They think that Evanston got first pick, and they chose the state mental hospital over the capital and the University.
Well, your history teacher doesn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground (as most teachers) :cool:

Tell he/she that he/she shouldn't confuse territory (signed in 1868) & statehood (granted in 1890).
Well, according to the way T.A. Larson used to tell it, and there always seemed to me a bit of tongue-in-cheek when he did- Cheyenne was always expected to be the capitol. This was mostly due to the extant railroad facilities and its relative proximity to the east and Denver (which was actually smaller than Cheyenne for a while).
It was decided that the other three state-run civic enterprises would be divvied up along the UP route, since that was the most accessible corridor in the state. Supposedly, both Rawlins and Evanston won a draw for first and second picks over Laramie. According to T.A., the folks in Cheyenne and Laramie were pretty in sync with where they'd prefer the university, with Cheyenne wanting some distance between itself and the sorts of folks that a penitentiary and mental hospital, would, um, "attract". Allegedly, these fine folks from Laramie and Cheyenne undertook a little campaign to convince the Founding Fathers of the two cities to the west that they'd see more immediate economic benefit from the immediacy of the needs of a prison and mental hospital. Now, this always made some sense to me- I could see the possibility of such a thing. Now, whether or not it's the truth, well, Wyoming's oral history has always been a fine example of one being built with one eye to mythology and a good smattering of apocrypha to have a bit of fun with the more credulous easterners as they migrated or visited. At this point, I don't think we'll ever know the "truth", but the story's pretty believable and, well, things are what they are...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

This has been some fascinating stuff.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I've heard the same thing about Rawlins. They had the first choice and chose prison which were big business back then and a new university wouldn't have near the amount of jobs that a prison would.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

Great pictorial but I thought the Miner and Stockman bar in Hartville was the states oldest bar?
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Actually, one of the more interesting tidbits about the distribution of state institutions, is that Cheyenne is only the "temporary capital" of Wyoming, as the last time it came up for vote (1904), it didn't receive the 50%+1 vote total to become the permanent capital. To become the official capital, a vote will have to take place within the state and the winning city will have to reach the 50%+1 vote total.

Vote totals from 1904:
Casper = 3610 (14.6%)
Cheyenne = 11781 (47.8%)
Lander = 8667 (35.2%)
Rock Springs = 429 (1.7%)
Misc. = 141 (0.6%)

http://www.uwyo.edu/robertshistory/cont ... apital.htm
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Wheatland is the birthplace of me. Hence the greatest place ever. Plus Steamboat. So there's that
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Went east to west.

Plus with your argument about Rawlins having first pick, tons of people have the same story in Evanston.
They think that Evanston got first pick, and they chose the state mental hospital over the capital and the University.
Well, your history teacher doesn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground (as most teachers) :cool:

Tell he/she that he/she shouldn't confuse territory (signed in 1868) & statehood (granted in 1890).
Well, according to the way T.A. Larson used to tell it, and there always seemed to me a bit of tongue-in-cheek when he did- Cheyenne was always expected to be the capitol. This was mostly due to the extant railroad facilities and its relative proximity to the east and Denver (which was actually smaller than Cheyenne for a while).
It was decided that the other three state-run civic enterprises would be divvied up along the UP route, since that was the most accessible corridor in the state. Supposedly, both Rawlins and Evanston won a draw for first and second picks over Laramie. According to T.A., the folks in Cheyenne and Laramie were pretty in sync with where they'd prefer the university, with Cheyenne wanting some distance between itself and the sorts of folks that a penitentiary and mental hospital, would, um, "attract". Allegedly, these fine folks from Laramie and Cheyenne undertook a little campaign to convince the Founding Fathers of the two cities to the west that they'd see more immediate economic benefit from the immediacy of the needs of a prison and mental hospital. Now, this always made some sense to me- I could see the possibility of such a thing. Now, whether or not it's the truth, well, Wyoming's oral history has always been a fine example of one being built with one eye to mythology and a good smattering of apocrypha to have a bit of fun with the more credulous easterners as they migrated or visited. At this point, I don't think we'll ever know the "truth", but the story's pretty believable and, well, things are what they are...
Having took Professor's Larson's class back in the day this is how I recall the assignment of the various state institutions. Also, at the beginning of Wyoming Territory there were only five counties: Laramie, Albany, Carbon, Carter, and Unita --all running north to south the width of the Wyoming Territory. Carter County was renamed Sweetwater County in 1869. By the time statehood came in 1890 Wyoming had 13 counties all broken out from the original five.

Wikipedia Link: Click Here
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
jarhead
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:
Went east to west.

Hey Peach, easy on the teacher thing a few of us here might take offense to that statement. :lol: I have taught Wyoming History but it was a few years back. One thing people tend to overlook is that the state was populated as the railroad was built. By virtue of the end of the track towns or "Hell on Wheels" towns. Population grew as the rail construction progressed east to west. Now I an not sure how a teacher of Wyoming History could get territory status and statehood status mixed up but I suppose it happens. More likely the, "Student" doesn't remember it quite like it was taught. Which is usually the case. Hell, some of my kids can't remember from a review to a test the next day. HA HA .
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

jarhead wrote:Hey Peach, easy on the teacher thing a few of us here might take offense to that statement. :lol: I have taught Wyoming History but it was a few years back. One thing people tend to overlook is that the state was populated as the railroad was built. By virtue of the end of the track towns or "Hell on Wheels" towns. Population grew as the rail construction progressed east to west. Now I an not sure how a teacher of Wyoming History could get territory status and statehood status mixed up but I suppose it happens. More likely the, "Student" doesn't remember it quite like it was taught. Which is usually the case. Hell, some of my kids can't remember from a review to a test the next day. HA HA .
Apologize. I guess...in a weird sort of way...we are all teachers. Way too many out there giving the rest a bad rap these days.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I've always been of the opinion that SE Wyoming owes its existance to the Gangplank between Buford and Cheyenne.

http://csmsgeologypost.blogspot.com/201 ... lroad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If Grenville Dodge hadn't found that formation, I believe the railroad would have followed the Oregon Trail route. I80 may have followed, or the interstate may have detoured through Denver instead.

I would bet the capitol would have been in Alantic City or Casper. The University probably would have been in one of the older towns in the center of the state. Rawlins probably wouldn't exist.

Just my $0.00000002
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Interesting read. Nice time killer.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Here is a real time killer. Scroll to the bottom. They will tell you just about everything you wanted to know about a highway in WYO.
http://www.aaroads.com/west/wyoming.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found that site as I always seem to get into a conversation with people about 'when did the interstate go through x city?'
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
jarhead wrote:Hey Peach, easy on the teacher thing a few of us here might take offense to that statement. :lol: I have taught Wyoming History but it was a few years back. One thing people tend to overlook is that the state was populated as the railroad was built. By virtue of the end of the track towns or "Hell on Wheels" towns. Population grew as the rail construction progressed east to west. Now I an not sure how a teacher of Wyoming History could get territory status and statehood status mixed up but I suppose it happens. More likely the, "Student" doesn't remember it quite like it was taught. Which is usually the case. Hell, some of my kids can't remember from a review to a test the next day. HA HA .
Apologize. I guess...in a weird sort of way...we are all teachers. Way too many out there giving the rest a bad rap these days.
Amen to that, Compadre.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote:I've always been of the opinion that SE Wyoming owes its existance to the Gangplank between Buford and Cheyenne.

http://csmsgeologypost.blogspot.com/201 ... lroad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If Grenville Dodge hadn't found that formation, I believe the railroad would have followed the Oregon Trail route. I80 may have followed, or the interstate may have detoured through Denver instead.

I would bet the capitol would have been in Alantic City or Casper. The University probably would have been in one of the older towns in the center of the state. Rawlins probably wouldn't exist.

Just my $0.00000002
Hard to argue otherwise. Plenty of other watering spots to the north where the railroad could've paused. That being said, I've always suspected there was more to the story of the Dale Creek Bridge than we've been left with.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Wyovanian wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:I've always been of the opinion that SE Wyoming owes its existance to the Gangplank between Buford and Cheyenne.

Just my $0.00000002
Hard to argue otherwise. Plenty of other watering spots to the north where the railroad could've paused. That being said, I've always suspected there was more to the story of the Dale Creek Bridge than we've been left with.
I never heard of that bridge. I'm interested in hearing/reading about it.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

So, like Wyonavian said, we will probably never really know the REAL truth. Unless someone can do some research at a library or courthouse and find documents of what actually happened.

I know people in Evanston still think that Evanston could have had UW, but chose the state hospital.

McPeachy has a different tale. People from all over probably have different tales.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:So, like Wyonavian said, we will probably never really know the REAL truth. Unless someone can do some research at a library or courthouse and find documents of what actually happened.

I know people in Evanston still think that Evanston could have had UW, but chose the state hospital.

McPeachy has a different tale. People from all over probably have different tales.
Ultimately, all were political decisions. Politics were as hazy then as they are now...
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

Just my $0.00000002
Huge bridge built to span Dale Creek Canyon above Laramie. Wildly expensive and not unforeseeable. There were definitely routes to the north that could have avoided its necessity. The big problem to the north was hostile Amer-Indians. The Laramies are the south-western-most of the Black Hills and were considered sacred by the several of the Sioux tribes. The Casements had several episodes of native violence and sabotage along the historic route- I can't imagine how bad it would have been to the north of Telephone Canyon.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Wyovanian wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

Just my $0.00000002
Huge bridge built to span Dale Creek Canyon above Laramie. Wildly expensive and not unforeseeable. There were definitely routes to the north that could have avoided its necessity. The big problem to the north was hostile Amer-Indians. The Laramies are the south-western-most of the Black Hills and were considered sacred by the several of the Sioux tribes. The Casements had several episodes of native violence and sabotage along the historic route- I can't imagine how bad it would have been to the north of Telephone Canyon.
Google is a wonderful "thing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Creek_Crossing
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...