Derek Cooke calls out Wyonation fourms

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

He tweeted this around 1:30...

All the guys from the wyonation forums should come to half acre today to play some pick up. It's some guys dying for the opportunity lol
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Why do our players get so bothered by what a fan forum says?
Shouldn't they be more worried about their game and improving their play instead of getting their feelings hurt at what some fans online?

Mental toughness...where is it?

Go win games, and people don't talk DC.
Go learn how to shoot some free throws instead of challenging a bunch of people who are NOT on scholarship to play basketball.

If you want to trade spots and have to pay for your own school like I am, then I will gladly take the criticism from people people on here, until then, do what a D1 student-athlete should be doing: Studying and playing your sport.
Don't go to the bar and get in fights that lead to the star player being kicked off the team and facing felony charges.
Don't go and party in FoCo after a game where you got EMBARRASSED as a team then disappear when a teammate is getting arrested for drugs.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

I just saw his tweet. Go over there Beaver and challenge him to a free throw shooting contest with the loser having to run around half acre 2 times only wearing a jockstrap. That should shut him up. lol
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

zappinpoke wrote:I just saw his tweet. Go over there Beaver and challenge him to a free throw shooting contest with the loser having to run around half acre 2 times only wearing a jockstrap. That should shut him up. lol
How about winner gets a full-ride scholly and the loser has to pay his way?
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

I know for a fact I can make more free throws than him
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I gave him constructive criticism, on his free throwing, but have otherwise left him alone (except when he dissappears, but others have vanished too).

I just want him to work on his free throws in the off-season so that other teams stop fouling him without fear of him getting many points.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Newest DC tweet:
The real fans show unconditional support to their team not bash on players who have dedicated their careers to the program lol #wichareyou

Me?
Absolutely a fan. Just because someone becomes critical of a player doesn't mean we are bashing.
And...why is it, that if we have something to say that isn't telling you how great we are, it means we are "bashing".

Real fans...dedicate their entire life to the program. 90% of the people on this board are those real fans.

Since you read this, go practice free throws.
That's one of the few things holding you back from being a REALLY good player. You can play D. You can rebound. You can dunk.
Learn to shoot free throws, and a mid range jump shot, then you become All-MWC caliber.

You signed up for D1 ball, that means you are in the publics eye whether you want to be or not. Then you come to the 1 place on the entire planet that has hundreds of Wyo fans coming together to discuss Wyo hoops and get upset by what you read?
Rant Off.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Well since he reads this might as well tell him that Wyoming fans will always be die hard fans, but we get frustrated when we see people consistently miss free throws. For the love of god practice them, and if you need to see why they are important then YouTube Wyoming vs Utah and watch Marcus Bailey seal the title for the pokes. I personally get frustrated when it looks like people don't put a ton of work in during the offseason to improve a simple shot. DC you are athletically gifted, but just because you win at Half Acre does not mean anything to me. I would be more impressed if you shot 70% from the free throw line and not miss dunks.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Newest DC tweet:
The real fans show unconditional support to their team not bash on players who have dedicated their careers to the program lol #wichareyou

Me?
Absolutely a fan. Just because someone becomes critical of a player doesn't mean we are bashing.
And...why is it, that if we have something to say that isn't telling you how great we are, it means we are "bashing".

Real fans...dedicate their entire life to the program. 90% of the people on this board are those real fans.

Since you read this, go practice free throws.
That's one of the few things holding you back from being a REALLY good player. You can play D. You can rebound. You can dunk.
Learn to shoot free throws, and a mid range jump shot, then you become All-MWC caliber.

You signed up for D1 ball, that means you are in the publics eye whether you want to be or not. Then you come to the 1 place on the entire planet that has hundreds of Wyo fans coming together to discuss Wyo hoops and get upset by what you read?
Rant Off.
Why so sensitive to DC's tweet beav? I don't know who DC is referring to, but I am guessing it isn't the poster that has the Pokes penciled in for conference titles and NCAA tourney runs every time we make two baskets in a row (kidding, sort of).

Anyway, it's tough to be a D-1 Men's BB player. They are the most visible student-athletes (besides the QB in FB) on most campuses, and in Wyoming's case the entire state. That's a lot of responsibility/scrutiny for a 18-22 year old. There are of course, a lot of positives, that come with that visibility as well, but I can see how easily it would be to be frustrated by negative comments made anonymously.

I would never really advise that players or parents/family of players post or read these forums. Wyoming is tame compared to many schools, and keep in mind that the fans that care enough to spend their free time posting here are also much more likely to be the fans supporting CJC in the higher donation brackets and purchasing season tickets.

There are certainly comments on here and any other school fan site that cross the line, but I think most of the critiques here are mild and generally focused only on the court.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

At least Wyonation is getting some run.... :coffee:
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

NowherePoke wrote:1. I would never really advise that players or parents/family of players post or read these forums.

2. Wyoming is tame compared to many schools, and keep in mind that the fans that care enough to spend their free time posting here are also much more likely to be the fans supporting CJC in the higher donation brackets and purchasing season tickets.
Spot on. Especially point #2 - hey Derek, don't try to bite the hand that feeds you man. Wyoming is bigger than you - and will always be here - players / coaches - not so much.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

McPeachy wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:1. I would never really advise that players or parents/family of players post or read these forums.

2. Wyoming is tame compared to many schools, and keep in mind that the fans that care enough to spend their free time posting here are also much more likely to be the fans supporting CJC in the higher donation brackets and purchasing season tickets.
Spot on. Especially point #2 - hey Derek, don't try to bite the hand that feeds you man. Wyoming is bigger than you - and will always be here - players / coaches - not so much.
Well, kind of. Some of the players are bigger than the fans.

Like this guy.

Bam.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Jeez you guys. Really? Bitching at a guy for "complaining" about random people on the internet criticizing him. It must kinda suck to see your fans saying things about you on the internet. Kinda hard not to take things personal. He probably shouldn't read messageboards but there is nothing wrong with getting perturbed at things people that are completely uniformed like we are on here. Most of us weren't hard on him except for a couple people.

If you are still looking DC, Keep working, we support you completely and expect big things next year.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

DC if you're reading this, let me help you with your free throws. I shot like Joakim Noah in high school and now I can knock down 70%+ right handed with a few days of practice. I'm left handed by the way.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

These forums aren't so anonymous.. you guys really wouldn't believe who reads these forums (or fan forums in general).. for every person that posts on here, I'd say 20 more people only read without having an acct on here.

Now.. link me to that tweet! I don't really follow players as I don't really care what college kids do day to day in their lives and I hate having my timeline cluttered.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I have a few things to say on this,

I'm glad that DC not only reads the forums but is sticking up for himself, I mean you guys act like you think he doesn't know that he is still learning the game. Time and time again some of you are way over critical of players I expect the same crap on the Football forums for the new guy from Canada because of the same reason limited time in the sport.

I hope from reading the forums he can see how passionate the fan base is for the Cowboys and that while we are crucial and sometimes way over critical we still support them 100%. I hope the negative digs on him make him want to be better and prove all the naysayers wrong.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 156 times

Cooke is fine. Tame compared to some on this board responding to each other. Cooke only needs two things to really start and dominate. Free throws. 65% and I think we actually would have won a few more games. Hands. They need a pitching machine to shoot basketballs at him all day so he can work on his hands. We can't lose possessions because he drops a pass under the rim. Great teams convert when the ball gets down low. He is so athletic, he just needs to improve on those and he's be a great player
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:Why do our players get so bothered by what a fan forum says?
Shouldn't they be more worried about their game and improving their play instead of getting their feelings hurt at what some fans online?

Mental toughness...where is it?
I agree with Cooke that there are many on this board who do not show proper respect for the character of the players. In my mind, it is fair to call people out for saying things here that they would not say to players or coaches faces. Many comments are either intended to harm the reputation of the players they discuss, or at least are not drafted in a manner that acknowledges that there are real people wearing our jerseys on game day.

I remember the football coach from Oklahoma State calling out the media for how they talked about the players on the team.

As far as I am concerned, we should all remember that both the current players and potential recruits most likely be checking out message boards about the program. For current players, it is all part of being immersed in the U.W. sports programs. For recruits, it should be part of the their due diligence to get a information about what kind of program support there is from a different source outside of the Athletic Department.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

You just wait. Cooke will be the best player next year because he is going to work his ass (what there is of it) off this summer on free throws and make Riley look like a loser at the free throw line. He is going to work on a soft slam dunk so that his shots at critical times don't harmlessly bounce off the rim. You just wait. And he is going to develop a touch shot from the three to five foot range that will actually go in. You just wait.
Hotcowgirl69
Buckaroo

wow, Derek way 2 b a bitch

y dont u use that kitty device to go fuk ur self out the door, no 1 likes u. quit like the little bitch u r

hide on twitter all you want Dball