New Depth Chart

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

WYO1016 wrote:A few of you will be happy to see that there are 9 Wyoming kids on the depth chart, and that's before the incoming freshman class.
Yet none of them are scholarshipped....I don't think?
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:http://trib.com/news/opinion/blogs/cowb ... 56c64.html

Observations: May listed ahead of Wick....Appleby ahead of Olive. Mauldhart and Claiborne listed as only two starting WRs.....a lot of CDC slot-type WRs getting buried on the depth chart. TE looks thin, but nothing unexpected.
My take is that 2014 offensively speaking will be a pretty much basic package that we will see. Wyoming will try to overpower with the running game and put in the passing game to keep defenses honest. I like the running backs that we have and I like the WR's that we have but it is going to take a while for the new offense to gel.

Defensively speaking, this is where I think that we can and will shine. I really like this defense and depth that I am seeing. Will this be a championship season? Probably not, but I do feel that Wyoming has a chance to get to a bowl but it will all hinge on the defense. Just got to make sure that the offense helps the defense instead of hurts it as it has for the last several years.

My big surprise from the first depth chart? Appleby in front of Olive.

As Bohl said this depth chart is very fluid right now, or in other words the names are written down in pencil and there is a big eraser in the coaches pocket. For one I think that the depth chart at the first game against Montana will be somewhat different than the one we are seeing today. I agree with the statement that some of the stuff is put down to motivate some guys and to get them to "up" their game.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
J-Rod wrote:http://trib.com/news/opinion/blogs/cowb ... 56c64.html

Observations: May listed ahead of Wick....Appleby ahead of Olive. Mauldhart and Claiborne listed as only two starting WRs.....a lot of CDC slot-type WRs getting buried on the depth chart. TE looks thin, but nothing unexpected.
My take is that 2014 offensively speaking will be a pretty much basic package that we will see. Wyoming will try to overpower with the running game and put in the passing game to keep defenses honest. I like the running backs that we have and I like the WR's that we have but it is going to take a while for the new offense to gel.

Defensively speaking, this is where I think that we can and will shine. I really like this defense and depth that I am seeing. Will this be a championship season? Probably not, but I do feel that Wyoming has a chance to get to a bowl but it will all hinge on the defense. Just got to make sure that the offense helps the defense instead of hurts it as it has for the last several years.

My big surprised from the first depth chart? Appleby in front of Olive.

As Bohl said this depth chart is very fluid right now, or in other words the names are written down in pencil and there is a big eraser in the coaches pocket. For one I think that the depth chart at the first game against Montana will be somewhat different than the one we are seeing today. I agree with the statement that some of the stuff is put down to motivate some guys and to get them to "up" their game.
That is surprising....but must mean Chase is a pretty decent player and our depth is getting better.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Slow Hand wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:A few of you will be happy to see that there are 9 Wyoming kids on the depth chart, and that's before the incoming freshman class.
Yet none of them are scholarshipped....I don't think?
I don't believe any of them are, but it's nice to see that they're getting a shot. They're all getting the Hathaway, which I would think would be a tool that the coaching staff uses to free up scholarships. Regardless of athletic scholarship status, these guys are getting a shot. None of them are very high up on the chart, but they are definitely getting reps and getting an opportunity to show what they can do.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I think the only reason Rufran is not on 1st team is because he's still recovering. Come Fall Practice and game 1, I think he'll be in the starting two. He was our most consistent reciever last year when healthy (took a beating against Texas State that forced him out of a few games), and despite not having Herron's sheer speed, he still racked up over 900 yards.

Appleby ahead of Olive? Yeah, I'm surprised, but it also means we are developing much needed depth at the DT position.

And last year, before he went down for the season, May was competing neck and neck with Wick for the RB position.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Yeah, I'm super excited to see all the Wyo kids on the depth chart...like the rJr DE that weighs in at 205lbs. It's good to get Rudy type kids who grow up wanting to be Pokes, but by and large Wyoming does not produce a whole lot of D1 talent (hard workers, yes. Big, fast, strong, athletic, quality players...not nearly as much as we'd want). I think too many people are hung up on wanting too many people from Wyo on the team. If we fielded a team of solely Wyo kids, we'd struggle in the FCS or even DII leagues.

But on a brighter side, the guys we have are buying into the system. There will be bumps in the road, but we will get better.

Let's hope that the depth chart pushes Uso, but if Appleby is better, that means we have better depth than we all thought at that position.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

fromolwyoming wrote:And last year, before he went down for the season, May was competing neck and neck with Wick for the RB position.
I believe that May was the clear cut starter before he got hurt last season. Considering what we saw from Wick last season, May must be killing it.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: That is surprising....but must mean Chase is a pretty decent player and our depth is getting better.
Its good news....means the depth is solid. And Uso is no longer comfortable....he'll work his ass off this summer.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

McPeachy wrote: ... we may not see positive results in the W/L column for 3 or so years.
Yes, but would you agree that with Dave at the helm it probably would have been much worse?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote: Yes, but would you agree that with Dave at the helm it probably would have been much worse?
He would have found more QBs, RBs, and WRs....but would have continued the same gig....bowl game when he's lucky, 3-9 the other three times he doesn't in that four years.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote: Yes, but would you agree that with Dave at the helm it probably would have been much worse?
He would have found more QBs, RBs, and WRs....but would have continued the same gig....bowl game when he's lucky, 3-9 the other three times he doesn't in that four years.
To be fair to Dave.....he only finished 3-9 once.......2 bowls in 5 years. And I like to think we were unlucky with Dave more often than we were lucky.

Peace,
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: To be fair to Dave.....he only finished 3-9 once.......2 bowls in 5 years. And I like to think we were unlucky with Dave more often than we were lucky.

Peace,
Fair enough....either way, the only consistent with Dave is that he would have been inconsistent.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote: To be fair to Dave.....he only finished 3-9 once.......2 bowls in 5 years. And I like to think we were unlucky with Dave more often than we were lucky.

Peace,
Fair enough....either way, the only consistent with Dave is that he would have been inconsistent.
Make that 2. He never made any adjustments, at all.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:
McPeachy wrote: ... we may not see positive results in the W/L column for 3 or so years.
Yes, but would you agree that with Dave at the helm it probably would have been much worse?
Dave lost the team last year, so yes, it could be much worse. Dave de-motivated (sweet word I know) an entire group of young men...even an NFL caliber QB, WR, and CB. You have to be one giant asshole in order for that to happen.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
mwc fan
Cowpoke

WYO1016 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:And last year, before he went down for the season, May was competing neck and neck with Wick for the RB position.
I believe that May was the clear cut starter before he got hurt last season. Considering what we saw from Wick last season, May must be killing it.
Actually Stover was #1 after Spring. May was only ahead of Tapscott.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

A lot of senior leadership, especially on defense (9 of 11 starters)
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo