Bohl #1 coach in MWC, #59 in country

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

kansasCowboy wrote:The article is posting with past attributes. Name another coach in the MWC that has had success like him? There are none. Hauck had success at Mont. but has fallen since at LV. Yes, even with his amazing year last year. Bob Davie? No. Troy "flyboy" Calhoun? Last couple of years have brought him down to earth. Rocky Long? He's known for turning programs around, but right now is using the success of Hoke to keep SDSU going. Practically all the other coaches are new, I would say as of right now he is the most successful coach "Overall" in the MWC.

And we were 4-8 when we lost to the FCS team. Maintain your credibility by getting facts right.
From the Standpoint of MWC Coaches the article is 100% correct, Now if Chris Petersen was still at Boise State and Bohl was listed above him we could question it. But from a pure Coach standpoint he is the best Coach in the MWC and no one can argue that.

Chris Petersen is the #13 Coach and no longer in the MWC there is definitely not a better coach in the conference right now.

What would be really cool is if we could look back 10 years or more and see coach rankings, I would say Bohl is going to be the highest ranked coach Wyoming has ever had. I won't say he is the best as he has to proves that but based on past experience he is the best we have ever had.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

kansasCowboy wrote:And we were 4-8 when we lost to the FCS team. Maintain your credibility by getting facts right.
Hypothetical, no need to answer. If J-Rod's point was simply that the 2012 season was disappointing, is the fact that he was off by 1 game on the record really that big of a deal?

The things we pick fights over, sheesh.
Wyo2dal wrote: But from a pure Coach standpoint he is the best Coach in the MWC and no one can argue that.
Don't forget what message board you're on, my dear friend. Someone can and will argue quite literally everything. :lol:
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

I agree completely, I'm pessimistic on the entire " best coach " because just like Petersen being in the PAC12 now he can't live off his MWC accolades. Bohl can't live off his FCS accolades and until I see him win I agree. But based on those accolades he is the best guy in the MWC.

You guys remember all the talk from Utah & TCU? Remember when they were in the MWC they were the top dog and it was always complained that they never got the respect they deserved. They both left the MWC and literally became College Football ghosts.

I would say they got more recognition being in the MWC than they have since they left. Sure more money where they are now but zero recognition. Same goes with the coaches, Petersen & Bohl have to prove that they didn't get wins because of weak competition they got wins because they are great coaches. I'm excited to see how both do because IMO the only coach that was successful in the MWC and the left and was successful in other big programs is Urban Meyer.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Utah hasn't had a good QB since what's his name's freshmen year back in 2009. TCU got hit hard in their 2 deep with all of those drug tests, plus losing Pachall 2 years in a row (first year to suspension, second to injury). TCU simply hasn't had the depth (or QB) to do too much. Utah's star players almost all graduated by the time they went to the PAC-12, and they still haven't found a viable option at QB.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

So those could be excuses or those coaches aren't as amazing as given credit for because they can't win outside of the MWC. You see where I'm going with this right? It's going to be a fun couple of years to really see who is good and who is hype.

I'm ready for some Football draft day can't come soon enough to at least cover me for a month!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:Utah hasn't had a good QB since what's his name's freshmen year back in 2009. TCU got hit hard in their 2 deep with all of those drug tests, plus losing Pachall 2 years in a row (first year to suspension, second to injury). TCU simply hasn't had the depth (or QB) to do too much. Utah's star players almost all graduated by the time they went to the PAC-12, and they still haven't found a viable option at QB.
What on earth happened to TCU fans in general? Their home attendances in the BIG XII CONFERENCE make War Memorial look like Bryant-Denny Stadium. They get great home games all the time, yet attendance is embarrassingly bad.

Utah suffered greatly from losing Gary Andersen. They haven't been the same since. Much like Utah State won't be the same 2-3 seasons from now.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:Utah hasn't had a good QB since what's his name's freshmen year back in 2009. TCU got hit hard in their 2 deep with all of those drug tests, plus losing Pachall 2 years in a row (first year to suspension, second to injury). TCU simply hasn't had the depth (or QB) to do too much. Utah's star players almost all graduated by the time they went to the PAC-12, and they still haven't found a viable option at QB.
What on earth happened to TCU fans in general? Their home attendances in the BIG XII CONFERENCE make War Memorial look like Bryant-Denny Stadium. They get great home games all the time, yet attendance is embarrassingly bad.

Utah suffered greatly from losing Gary Andersen. They haven't been the same since. Much like Utah State won't be the same 2-3 seasons from now.
Utah does miss Anderson, but I'm not throwing USU out in the cold just yet. Wells, despite losing Keeton and a few other key players, still ended up having like a 6-1 record after Keeton went down. Recruiting wise though, won't really know about USU until after Keeton graduates and Well's players take over.
Wyo2dal wrote:So those could be excuses or those coaches aren't as amazing as given credit for because they can't win outside of the MWC. You see where I'm going with this right? It's going to be a fun couple of years to really see who is good and who is hype. I'm ready for some Football draft day can't come soon enough to at least cover me for a month!
I'm not really using them as excuses, just pointing out the whole picture. I don't really care for Coach "I'll onside kick the ball while up 30+ points!", but their QB situation has been pretty bad.

TCU, I'm more neutral towards, and defensively, from what I was able to watch, they were still good. It was the offense that was the problem. Their backup QB is basicaly a runningback that is forced to the throw the ball on occassion. And with about 20 or so of their entire 2 deep roster kicked off the team due to failed drug tests, I'd say years 3 and 4 would be better indicaters of TCU.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

lakesbison wrote:Oh the losers lament on here needs to stop wyonation!!

Bohl has been and will be a winner on the field, I'll have to assist the message board here in a ill rah rah attitude speech about being a winner!! Pump it up wyonation !! N
Haha...if you only knew...
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:]
Utah does miss Anderson, but I'm not throwing USU out in the cold just yet. Wells, despite losing Keeton and a few other key players, still ended up having like a 6-1 record after Keeton went down. Recruiting wise though, won't really know about USU until after Keeton graduates and Well's players take over.
Utah State loses more starters than any team in college football in 2014. Plus, Keeton will probably be braced up all season. Without Andersen to recruit at that level (their recruiting has dropped off)...I do expect a gradual fall in the coming years. Not a massive one....but maybe 1-2 wins each year. Bottom line: Utah State does not have the money or resources to sustain success.

Resources and money sustain success.....without it, you're just living out a brief era of success.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

J-Rod wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:]
Utah State loses more starters than any team in college football in 2014. Plus, Keeton will probably be braced up all season. Without Andersen to recruit at that level (their recruiting has dropped off)...I do expect a gradual fall in the coming years. Not a massive one....but maybe 1-2 wins each year. Bottom line: Utah State does not have the money or resources to sustain success.

Resources and money sustain success.....without it, you're just living out a brief era of success.
You oughta see their new weight room. That combined with their Sports Medicine center makes the RAC look weak.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote: You oughta see their new weight room. That combined with their Sports Medicine center makes the RAC look weak.
I have seen photos....not particularly impressive. Many in the MW are better....to even significantly better.

But to be honest, from all that I've gathered only Boise State has a Pac-12 caliber football facility....everyone else is a long ways off. Colorado State has some serious ambition though....

Hawaii takes the cake in worst facilities. Upper campus and government truly believe the island is the only selling the program needs. Not true.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote: You oughta see their new weight room. That combined with their Sports Medicine center makes the RAC look weak.
I have seen photos....not particularly impressive. Many in the MW are better....to even significantly better.

But to be honest, from all that I've gathered only Boise State has a Pac-12 caliber football facility....everyone else is a long ways off. Colorado State has some serious ambition though....

Hawaii takes the cake in worst facilities. Upper campus and government truly believe the island is the only selling the program needs. Not true.
More than what we've got going for us.

Oh wait...we have Cowboy Tough...

That sure gets the recruits...ya know considering every college football team has some similar phrase...
BUT BUT BUT...ours actually means more than others because we were good in the 80s.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

J-Rod wrote:
I have seen photos....not particularly impressive. Many in the MW are better....to even significantly better..
May be true, but we aren't one of 'em.

http://www.utahstateaggies.com/aggieweightroom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What are they lacking that other MWC schools have?

http://www.gobulldogs.com/trads/fres-strength.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fresno claims to have one of the biggest complexes in the MW and western United States, USU's is over 8,000 square feet larger.
Last edited by BackHarlowRoad on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: More than what we've got going for us.

Oh wait...we have Cowboy Tough...

That sure gets the recruits...ya know considering every college football team has some similar phrase...
BUT BUT BUT...ours actually means more than others because we were good in the 80s.
lol BP you've gotten so cynical in your old age. ;)

Are you in Corvallis? Or did that not materialize?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:I agree completely, I'm pessimistic on the entire " best coach " because just like Petersen being in the PAC12 now he can't live off his MWC accolades. Bohl can't live off his FCS accolades and until I see him win I agree.*
So since he has no FBS record, is he the worst coach in the country?

When you have no record at your current school, its okay to use your previous school as a gauge for where you rank.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Well. Sorry to hear that man. It's a culture thing, I've watched bohl and NDSU win 43 of 45 games and I don't remember how to cheer for a loser. (Oh wait, I have Vikings season tickets haha)

I'm just saying. Culture and attitude helps lot, losers lament hurts a lot, that's all. You all know I'm a wyo fan
Culture and attitude occurs BECAUSE you win 43 of 45 games. It's easy to feel like a winner when you win 96% of your games.
Nobody is saying that Bohl is going to come in and win 80-90% of his games right off the bat. That culture at NDSU didn't come right away. Bohl built it. Thats why a select few of us here think he'll do the same at UW.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I say, if a person has always been successful at every level he has coached , that means he is a great coach no matter the level he currently coaches at until proven otherwise on the field.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Where would this coach rank coming into the MWC?
Record Post Season
12-3 DII Champ
13-2 DII Champ
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
13-2 DI-AA Champ Game
15-1 DI-AA Champ
11-2 DI-AA Quarterfinal
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

This board is comedy....We have a solid new head coach who was picked by a random magazine as he best coach in the MWC. This wasn't a fans list...but a 3rd parties list. Nobody has made the claim he is the best in the mwc...but we have a slew of fans trying to prove he isn't.

Good stuff guys.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Where would this coach rank coming into the MWC?
Record Post Season
12-3 DII Champ
13-2 DII Champ
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
11-2 DII Quarterfinal
13-2 DI-AA Champ Game
15-1 DI-AA Champ
11-2 DI-AA Quarterfinal
Joe was a good coach...his fault was he was too loyal to his offensive coordinator. Nobody will dispute that he had some of the best Wyoming defenses in recent memory.