If I were Coach Bohl....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

We didn't have much of an offense under DC if went up against any defense with anything resembling a pulse. And most of that offense was because Brett is such a playmaker, in spite of DC.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:I wasn't at the spring game, but by reading the comments on here and talking to those who saw it, we are in a world of hurt at the quarterback position. On a lighter note, everyone have a great summer. Can't wait until football season!
I don't think I've seen a world of hurt comment about the QB position by anyone who attended the spring game. And all indications are the team doesn't need a superb QB to run the offense....just someone who won't make stupid mistakes.
You need someone that is going to do a bit more than not make mistakes. Why have someone back there if that is all that is required of them? You make the position sound like it is almost unimportant in Bohl's offense. Unfortunately, Bohl doesn't share your views, he has stated more than a few times that you need to have superior talent at three positions to be successful: QB, CB & DT.

EVERY college team in America will be in a situation during the season where they need the QB to make a play when they are behind in a game or it is 3rd and long and the clock is running out, and in these situations you need a superior athlete who is going to have to do more than just not make mistakes.

You keep downgrading the need to have a talented QB if that is what makes you feel good, but again Coach Bohl doesn't share your opinion.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:I wasn't at the spring game, but by reading the comments on here and talking to those who saw it, we are in a world of hurt at the quarterback position. On a lighter note, everyone have a great summer. Can't wait until football season!
I don't think I've seen a world of hurt comment about the QB position by anyone who attended the spring game. And all indications are the team doesn't need a superb QB to run the offense....just someone who won't make stupid mistakes.
You need someone that is going to do a bit more than not make mistakes. Why have someone back there if that is all that is required of them? You make the position sound like it is almost unimportant in Bohl's offense. Unfortunately, Bohl doesn't share your views, he has stated more than a few times that you need to have superior talent at three positions to be successful: QB, CB & DT.

EVERY college team in America will be in a situation during the season where they need the QB to make a play when they are behind in a game or it is 3rd and long and the clock is running out, and in these situations you need a superior athlete who is going to have to do more than just not make mistakes.

You keep downgrading the need to have a talented QB if that is what makes you feel good, but again Coach Bohl doesn't share your opinion.
SDSU had to use a walk on QB early on, and still won more games than us, because he didn't make many mistakes, but was excatly a great QB either.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

SDSU had to use a walk on QB early on, and still won more games than us, because he didn't make many mistakes, but was excatly a great QB either.
So SDSU is now going exclusively to walk-ons at QB that don't make mistakes? Why do we give out scholarships if it is that easy a position to fill?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Why do you overeact like that?

They didn't make their QB be a playmaker. They only asked him to throw on occassion and just let the run game handle most things. Chill.
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

Offense probably will suck especially without a reliable QB......wasn't real stellar against teams other than Idaho, AF and other lousy defenses....the real question is the defense going to give up 52 at homecoming and get rolled by everyone from Hawaii to SJSt? Will we be able to stay within five TD's of Boise and Fresno? Will we have another Nationally Televised game where we give up 48? It sucked losing Smith and Thompson but we have way more issues to address on D. Just my two cents.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Pokes Forever wrote:Offense probably will suck especially without a reliable QB......wasn't real stellar against teams other than Idaho, AF and other lousy defenses....the real question is the defense going to give up 52 at homecoming and get rolled by everyone from Hawaii to SJSt? Will we be able to stay within five TD's of Boise and Fresno? Will we have another Nationally Televised game where we give up 48? It sucked losing Smith and Thompson but we have way more issues to address on D. Just my two cents.
There is reason for optimism on defense, but you are correct. We've been saying/hoping for years now that the defense as a whole and offensive line improve, and more than once fans have been convinced "this is the year" and it ended up clearly not being the case. I expect improvement on defense, at least somewhat....but if they struggle again (especially with that Tampa 2) I'm not going to be stunned or upset. JMO, but this is a bigger rebuilding task for Bohl than some let on to.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

A bit off tangent, but the tampa 2 with a 4-2-5 defense in ncaa 14 with the right players is actually pretty effective.

And the 3-4 is pretty worthless.
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

J-Rod wrote:
Pokes Forever wrote:Offense probably will suck especially without a reliable QB......wasn't real stellar against teams other than Idaho, AF and other lousy defenses....the real question is the defense going to give up 52 at homecoming and get rolled by everyone from Hawaii to SJSt? Will we be able to stay within five TD's of Boise and Fresno? Will we have another Nationally Televised game where we give up 48? It sucked losing Smith and Thompson but we have way more issues to address on D. Just my two cents.
There is reason for optimism on defense, but you are correct. We've been saying/hoping for years now that the defense as a whole and offensive line improve, and more than once fans have been convinced "this is the year" and it ended up clearly not being the case. I expect improvement on defense, at least somewhat....but if they struggle again (especially with that Tampa 2) I'm not going to be stunned or upset. JMO, but this is a bigger rebuilding task for Bohl than some let on to.
Amen......could be a difficult couple of years ahead.......hoping I'm wrong....will wait and see. Go Pokes!!!!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:A bit off tangent, but the tampa 2 with a 4-2-5 defense in ncaa 14 with the right players is actually pretty effective.

Boise made a killing in their prime under Yates in the 4-2-5. 3-4 doesn't seem to work well for any non-AQ school to be honest.....we'll see if it lasts for Utah State.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

I could run the spread offense
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:A bit off tangent, but the tampa 2 with a 4-2-5 defense in ncaa 14 with the right players is actually pretty effective.

Boise made a killing in their prime under Yates in the 4-2-5. 3-4 doesn't seem to work well for any non-AQ school to be honest.....we'll see if it lasts for Utah State.
I've held some pretty high octane offenses to just over 200 yards of offense and 10 or fewer points. Pretty interesting.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Take a look back at the NDSU game-winning drive against Kansas State for an idea of his offensive philosophies.

-Wasn't all I-Formations. 10 plays in shotgun (4 Runs, 6 Passes)
-Down by 6 with 8:58 left, 18-play drive, 11 runs for 27 yards. No panic when run game wasn't working.
-Longest play was 8 yards (on a 3rd & 7).

One drive, 8:30 off the clock. That's more than 1/3rd of the time of possession Wyoming averaged last year, dead last in FBS.

Also a reminder, the Mountain West had 6 (well, 7, including WYO) of the 22 worst run defenses in FBS in 2013. That is something that Bohl will look to exploit.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

2,3,4 and 5 receiver sets on that drive. Well done drive, and great play calling.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I've said it before I'll say it again, I was unsure about Vigen, but the guy seems to have an a great ability to mix up plays and formations, and an ability to get the ball in the hands of playmakers...better than DC. GASP
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Lots of run, run, pass, punt in our future.... Running game is great if you have an o-line that can hold a block.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

HR_Poke wrote:Lots of run, run, pass, punt in our future.... Running game is great if you have an o-line that can hold a block.
Did you watch that drive? 18 plays, averaging 2.5 ypc. The run blocking was not good for most of that drive, yet it went 18 plays.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

joshvanklomp wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:Lots of run, run, pass, punt in our future.... Running game is great if you have an o-line that can hold a block.
Did you watch that drive? 18 plays, averaging 2.5 ypc. The run blocking was not good for most of that drive, yet it went 18 plays.
So bohl brought his entire offense with him scholarships and all? We couldn't run or pass against our own defense this spring and you are acting like somehow we are magically going to be miles better all of the sudden.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

It actually looked like a few read options on the deep hand-offs. Some clutch plays on that drive.

It does look like the O needs about 4 seconds from snap to throw.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

NDSU's 2013 offensive talent far outweighs what Wyo has right now in my eyes. We may see this sort of drive in the future but not next year.