Nico Brown leaves team

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Gentry is not real happy with his drop on the chart as well. The coaches view him as "lazy" during practice and don't think he plays hard. I could see him becoming disgruntled and leaving. I hope not because he is a specimen! But It is feasible.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

This isn't anything out of the ordinary like some posters want you to believe. So far Wyoming has lost 5 scholarship players since Bohl was hired. Smith went to the draft. Thompson transferred to Utah. The other three quit during spring ball. That is a very low number for a coaching change.

Is there a possiblity/probability more players will leave: maybe. That's the nature of a change, especially when the change is a philosophical overhaul on offense and defense. Yes, we have a lot of wide receivers. Yes, some of them will leave because they want to play. That isn't abnormal nor is it a testimony to Bohl and staff. It's the reality that we run a pro style offense and we have enough receivers to run the spread.

I think it will help our depth chart on offense. Certain guys will excel in the competition. Some will get discouraged and quit. Getting rid of quitters just culls the weak.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:This isn't anything out of the ordinary like some posters want you to believe. So far Wyoming has lost 5 scholarship players since Bohl was hired. Smith went to the draft. Thompson transferred to Utah. The other three quit during spring ball. That is a very low number for a coaching change.

Is there a possiblity/probability more players will leave: maybe. That's the nature of a change, especially when the change is a philosophical overhaul on offense and defense. Yes, we have a lot of wide receivers. Yes, some of them will leave because they want to play. That isn't abnormal nor is it a testimony to Bohl and staff. It's the reality that we run a pro style offense and we have enough receivers to run the spread.

I think it will help our depth chart on offense. Certain guys will excel in the competition. Some will get discouraged and quit. Getting rid of quitters just culls the weak.
Excellent post, totally agree. Hell DC would lose this many players every season and they were guys he recruited. Berger if he leaves no big deal. Gentry on the other hand I wouldn't like to see him quit as I was pretty high on him when he was recruited. Although he's not as fast as I thought, has a hard time getting separation and not very good YAC. In other words replaceable. My thoughts on any player wanting to quit is they are all replaceable and will allow Bohl and company to get his type of players in here sooner and get this transformation done quicker.
Last edited by zappinpoke on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:This isn't anything out of the ordinary like some posters want you to believe. So far Wyoming has lost 5 scholarship players since Bohl was hired. Smith went to the draft. Thompson transferred to Utah. The other three quit during spring ball. That is a very low number for a coaching change.

I agree with all of your points. However what if we begin to see integral components of the new system leaving? For example what if a TE or a FB decided he was outta here? Is it still then about the philosophical change? I think change is hard on everyone who is, or has been, a part of a different system. I predict we will lose either a FB or a TE before Fall ball begins. It probably won't matter because I am sure those are two spots that Bohl will recruit heavily. My inclination would be at the FB spot because both of those kids are walk-ons I think. They have to know that there will be an emphasis on recruiting this position.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 110 times

"Those who stay will be champions"

Guess the kids leaving don't want to win. If that's the case good luck to them, but we're looking for championship caliber players in Laramie.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote:"Those who stay will be champions"

Guess the kids leaving don't want to win. If that's the case good luck to them, but we're looking for championship caliber players in Laramie.
What else is there to say when a player leaves. Either you are about the team or you're not.

Go Pokes!!
Cowboy47
Buckaroo

There are many reasons for leaving a team and not all are because you don't love and want to be on the team , IE; you’re an out of state invited walkon in your 2nd year and the coaches say you look good for a scholarship and then they all get fired. A new coach comes in and gives out all the available scholarships before he meets the team and in house talent. Now you’re expected to play another season out of pocket and risking injury without getting paid…Just Saying! :?
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Nico was a walk-on? Or are you referring to someone else?
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Cowboy47 wrote:There are many reasons for leaving a team and not all are because you don't love and want to be on the team , IE; you’re an out of state invited walkon in your 2nd year and the coaches say you look good for a scholarship and then they all get fired. A new coach comes in and gives out all the available scholarships before he meets the team and in house talent. Now you’re expected to play another season out of pocket and risking injury without getting paid…Just Saying! :?
Cowboy47
Buckaroo

Another player, look right!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy47 wrote:There are many reasons for leaving a team and not all are because you don't love and want to be on the team , IE; you’re an out of state invited walkon in your 2nd year and the coaches say you look good for a scholarship and then they all get fired. A new coach comes in and gives out all the available scholarships before he meets the team and in house talent. Now you’re expected to play another season out of pocket and risking injury without getting paid…Just Saying! :?
I'm pretty sure this guy's kid walked on under DC with the idea he could get a scholarship down the road.
Cowboy47
Buckaroo

He did...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 151 times

Is tanner gentry on scholarship?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy47
Buckaroo

Not sure I can ask my son...
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Lukenbill's dad?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 110 times

I would hope that Brandon gets a scholarship thrown his way. With the fullback position being one of necessity in this offense it would make sense to have a fullback or three on scholarship. :twocents:
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:Is tanner gentry on scholarship?
Yes he is.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

I think Cowboy47 is right in saying there are no more scholarships until next year. It is my understanding that they were all given out. Good thing we got a 4th string QB out of one of them.
Cowboy47
Buckaroo

And a ton of receivers; we did lose 2 senior lineman but it's my understanding that they can’t give away their scholarships till next season.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 233 times

Not to stir the pot, but I am not so sure that DC's representations and/or handshake agreements were very reliable even if he still was the coach at Wyoming.

Good luck to #47 and I hope he proves that he deserves and is granted a future scholarship.