Wyokie! Get ready to leap for joy! (Helmet thread)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Here's the thing. It seems CDC thought that in order to get recruits interested to come to Laramie, you had to switch up the uniform and helmet combinations. In five seasons at Wyoming under Christensen, the Cowboys used 12 different helmets. That's ridiculous!

Bohl doesn't think that way. If you're going to a school because of a flashy new helmet, you chose that school for the wrong reason.

If the Helmet Project website is correct, Wyoming has used a white helmet in all but six seasons of program history. Its the helmet most identifiable with Wyoming football. Why would Bohl choose anything but that style?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

joshvanklomp wrote:Here's the thing. It seems CDC thought that in order to get recruits interested to come to Laramie, you had to switch up the uniform and helmet combinations. In five seasons at Wyoming under Christensen, the Cowboys used 12 different helmets. That's ridiculous!

Bohl doesn't think that way. If you're going to a school because of a flashy new helmet, you chose that school for the wrong reason.

If the Helmet Project website is correct, Wyoming has used a white helmet in all but six seasons of program history. Its the helmet most identifiable with Wyoming football. Why would Bohl choose anything but that style?
The white helmet isn't the most identifiable thing of Wyoming Football, The steamboat is plain and simple we're recognized because of the steamboat nothing more and nothing less. You put that steamboat on any color helmet and it's just as recognizable it's just not as ugly on a brown matte as white.

As for the CDC comment the uniforms were for the students and I think he did a good job selling the different styles and I actually liked that we had different combos that we would see on the field. It's like when you ask someone about Oregon uniforms people like them because they never know what they are going to wear until it's gameday or the night before.

I liked that part loved guessing what the uniform would be, Still love the all brown uniform hands down my favorite.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:As for the CDC comment the uniforms were for the students and I think he did a good job selling the different styles and I actually liked that we had different combos that we would see on the field. It's like when you ask someone about Oregon uniforms people like them because they never know what they are going to wear until it's gameday or the night before.

I liked that part loved guessing what the uniform would be, Still love the all brown uniform hands down my favorite.
I'd rather have a coach focus on his team winning games on the field rather than trying to be a PR guy to get students to the games. Winning football games will put fans in the seats. If he was more worried about that, maybe Christensen would still be here?

I get that there's a PR battle too, but no fancy helmet or promotion will put butts in the seats like winning games can. That should be the goal first and foremost.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Pretty sure we're in agreement with what we want to see we just don't agree on what looks good.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

All I'm saying is a uni and helmet that are set in stone with a certain programs tend to help anybody (fans, recruits, a region, a whole state) identify with it.
Everyone knows Michigans helmet, which has NEVER changed. Everyone knows that the plain white helmet with a blue stripe belongs too...? Penn st. Everyone knows Steamboat, but I even had people asking who was playing or who else is using Steamboat, because it looked so much different game after game.
Oregon is unique, with being in with Nike, people expect different from them. We're not Oregon. We're Wyoming, who sadly has changed uniforms, helmets and color variation year after year since 1997. Stop with the change and just stick with something!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

VisorHair wrote:My heart sank and I said a lot of bad words with the resignation of the brown helmet. :cry:

this
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:As for the CDC comment the uniforms were for the students and I think he did a good job selling the different styles and I actually liked that we had different combos that we would see on the field. It's like when you ask someone about Oregon uniforms people like them because they never know what they are going to wear until it's gameday or the night before.

I'd rather have a coach focus on his team winning games on the field rather than trying to be a PR guy to get students to the games. Winning football games will put fans in the seats. If he was more worried about that, maybe Christensen would still be here?

I get that there's a PR battle too, but no fancy helmet or promotion will put butts in the seats like winning games can. That should be the goal first and foremost.
Im sure the the 10 minutes a week he spent on what uniform we were wearing really cut into his preperation time. He didn't make it cuz he wasn't cut out to be a head coach not cuz he was worried about different uniform combinations.
I love the old school style helmets and hope they use that entire uniform from 88-96. It is my favorite jersey. However, I don't see anything wrong with having an alternate helmet or jersey available. Nobody is claiming that recruits come here for jerseys or helmets but every little bit helps.
And yes we aren't Oregon but we also are not Michigan, Alabama, Penn State etc. that has had the same uniform for the past 50 years. We have changed our uniform many times in the past 50-60 years, even before CDC. We can't go back in time and change that fact. So unless you have a history with your uniform then you should be willing to adapt and add combinations to your jerseys. And BTW, most those historic look teams have also used special alternates from time to time(most of the time they shouldn't have cuz they were god awful).
So to sum up, love the new helmets but wish we were open to using the brown as well and maybe an alternate uniform combo.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Everyone is saying Wyoming is stuck in the past.... this time I disagree. Guess what fellas? We are going against the TREND of college football and being innovative; as many of you complain about. If every college team didn't have multiple uniform looks and we did, then we become unique. By going against the grain, we are now the unique ones. I was actually disappointed when we signed with Nike. We are just another school low on their totem pole compared to the teams they have contracts with.

Had our multiple uniform combinations worked and actually brought in good recruits I could see an argument there but it didn't. I like Bohl's style, in a backwards kind of way he is innovative and unique in an ever changing world of college football. Its refreshing and it's different than the norm, which I think Wyoming needs.
I'm good for 3!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I don't get it - I just don't get it. Why all the bitching and moaning about the uniforms and helmets. It doesn't make any difference at all to me. Everybody else on the team is wearing the same thing and they all say Wyoming - that's all that matters.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Cornpoke wrote:I was actually disappointed when we signed with Nike. We are just another school low on their totem pole compared to the teams they have contracts with.
Agree with this a bit...I was always hoping we would leave NB for UA.

Then again UA shoes (all lines) suck ass, Nike definitely has one up there.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Larawie
Ranch Hand

At least it's not camo!!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Heard the players loved the camo! I just didn't like how we wore them all the time it seemed. But that brown helmet with the leather look to it..............too damn nice to not see it at least once! :twocents:
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Another note on uniforms. I have heard rumors for a couple weeks that we would be wearing this helmet. I have also heard we will be wearing brown jerseys from the 86 style and white jerseys on the road. Supposedly with white pants home in road which is god awful. If we go brown jerseys white pants that is the worst jersey combo we have ever had IMO. If we rock these helmets with all white roads and 86 home brown with gold pants I would be happy, but he white pants with brown is worse than the camo.
wyoforever
Buckaroo

I heard the home uniforms will be Brown shirts and gold pants. Away will be white shirts and gold pants.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

wyoforever wrote:I heard the home uniforms will be Brown shirts and gold pants. Away will be white shirts and gold pants.
:thefan:
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

wyoforever wrote:I heard the home uniforms will be Brown shirts and gold pants. Away will be white shirts and gold pants.
I personally like Brown shirts and Gold pants - Home and White-White- Away.
I'm good for 3!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Cornpoke wrote:
I personally like Brown shirts and Gold pants - Home and White-White- Away.
agree on the white on white....would prefer all gold or all brown
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

Whatever happened to this helmet? I know Hydro Graphics (HGI) made it. Image
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Is it just me or does the yellow on the stripe not match the yellow surrounding Steamboat?

I really don't care what our uniforms look like (I will say I didn't like the prairie gold era), but whatever we do, like colors should generally match on the color wheel. Even then, if we win, I don't care if we dress in uniforms designed and hand stitched by a color-blind, one-armed, cross-dressing hillbilly from West Virginia.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

White on white away is like an omen to stay away from for UW, Have they ever won a meaningful game in all white? Don't think so.