Tevis Bartlett Update

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Link to article

Sounds like the Oregon and Stanford camps had an impact on him.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Yeah, I saw this. Bye bye Tevis.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

If I had to guess, I'd say he is a Duck. While I would love, LOVE to see a Cheyenne kid lead the Pokes back to relevance I just can't see one as highly touted as him choosing Laramie over OU or Stanford, and I certainly can't blame him. The only thing we have going for us is that we offered him as a QB. We'll see how it shakes out.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say he is a Duck. While I would love, LOVE to see a Cheyenne kid lead the Pokes back to relevance I just can't see one as highly touted as him choosing Laramie over OU or Stanford, and I certainly can't blame him. The only thing we have going for us is that we offered him as a QB. We'll see how it shakes out.
I think it will completely come down to what position he wants to play, If his heart is set at QB and they are offering him defense it will be just like it was for Smith being offered defensively at Oregon State but he wanted to play QB. Right now he said the side of the ball doesn't matter but when he realizes his dreams are going away for the position he wants to play he might feel differently.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: I think it will completely come down to what position he wants to play, If his heart is set at QB and they are offering him defense it will be just like it was for Smith being offered defensively at Oregon State but he wanted to play QB.
This. Right now it seems Bohl and staff have two things going for them...

1.) State pride seems to matter to this kid. Not always a given, but he's a Wyomingite through and through.
2.) Wyoming will take him in any capacity, everyone else wants him exclusively at OLB.

Got to play up your advantages. It may seem like a long shot, but landing Tevis is far from impossible. Fresno beat out many Pac-12 programs for LB Michael Lazarus. Boise beat out the likes of LSU, A&M, Notre Dame, Texas, among MANY others for 4-Star safety Dylan Sumner-Gardner. It is not beyond Wyoming to land a top prospect, you just have to play your cards right and hope to get a little lucky.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say he is a Duck. While I would love, LOVE to see a Cheyenne kid lead the Pokes back to relevance I just can't see one as highly touted as him choosing Laramie over OU or Stanford, and I certainly can't blame him. The only thing we have going for us is that we offered him as a QB. We'll see how it shakes out.
U of O, not OU
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:it will be just like it was for Smith being offered defensively at Oregon State but he wanted to play QB.
What?
This is the first I have heard of Brett being offered to play defense at Oregon State.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

BeaverPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:it will be just like it was for Smith being offered defensively at Oregon State but he wanted to play QB.
What?
This is the first I have heard of Brett being offered to play defense at Oregon State.
I've read it in at least 8-10 articles over his career, On the UW site it just says " Smith was also recruited by New Mexico State, Oregon State and San Jose State. He is pursuing a degree in communications at UW. " I recall one of his interview articles stating that Oregon State was interested in him defensively but his heart was set on being a QB.

I'll find it sometime just let me look around and see where it was.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

These higher recruits coming out of Wyoming have a chance of becoming legends if they stayed or they can leave and most likely disappear into the fray.
W-Y, Until I Die!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote:These higher recruits coming out of Wyoming have a chance of becoming legends if they stayed or they can leave and most likely disappear into the fray.
True. Hope Tevis takes a look at Stanford's commit list...he'll have some stiff competition at LB. He's a lock to start for 4 years at Wyoming.

http://stanford.scout.com/a.z?s=18&p=9&c=8&yr=2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

The position situation seems like a pretty big deal to me. OLB and QB are worlds apart.

Although it didn't work out, we got Jason Thompson to decommit from Washington because we offered him a chance to play QB.

It's the biggest thing we've got going for us against these heavyweights.
StarValleyPoke
Buckaroo

I had always heard that Marcus Harris was only being offered Linebacker gigs coming out of high school but Wyoming was the only one willing to let him be a wide receiver. That worked out pretty darn well. I hope we get him and he joins what is shaping up to be in exciting class.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
U of O, not OU
Oops good call.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

I disagree entirely with this notion that you cannot blame a recruit for going someplace else - this is a losers mentality that needs to be gotten rid of quickly.

Tevis Bartlett needs to attend Wyoming because its the right call, the right school, with the right coach, the right stadium, and definitely the right fan base.

In Laramie he rises with a program from the ashes -- and is remembered forever as a Cowboys legend.

At Oregon or Stanford he is just another in a long line of players.

Go Pokes!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:I disagree entirely with this notion that you cannot blame a recruit for going someplace else - this is a losers mentality that needs to be gotten rid of quickly.

Tevis Bartlett needs to attend Wyoming because its the right call, the right school, with the right coach, the right stadium, and definitely the right fan base.

In Laramie he rises with a program from the ashes -- and is remembered forever as a Cowboys legend.

Go Pokes!
Are you being serious? You think that you have a right to be mad at a kid who may choose a nicer town to play for a top 10 ranked team with potential national title chances over a "rebuilding" (and thats being nice) school, in his home state, picked to finish 4th in a forgotten conference? Really Doc?

Just because it hurts doesn't make it a losers mentality. Its truth. You need to be gotten rid of quickly.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:I disagree entirely with this notion that you cannot blame a recruit for going someplace else - this is a losers mentality that needs to be gotten rid of quickly.

Go Pokes!
Are you being serious? You think that you have a right to be mad at a kid who may choose a nicer town to play for a top 10 ranked team with potential national title chances over a "rebuilding" (and thats being nice) school, in his home state, picked to finish 4th in a forgotten conference? Really Doc?

Just because it hurts doesn't make it a losers mentality. Its truth. You need to be gotten rid of quickly.
Moron.

Yes, I'm more than serious.

I'm Pro-WYOMING 1000%...this is where he can make his mark, not by heading to some football factory school where he blends in indistinguishable from everyone else.

This is about a cause, a crusade, a climb back to relevance, this is about making your mark, standing tall and proudly wearing the Steamboat logo.

This is about courage, this is about conviction.

This is about Wyoming Cowboys Football.

Get on board the train -- or you're dead to me.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Well said doc. No one will probably ever know his name if he goes elsewhere. Here, he can be remembered as the local boy taking the team to new heights.

Not saying this kid can't be special on a big team. Just saying that he means more to Wyoming than he would somewhere else
Last edited by laxwyo on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:

Go Pokes!

Moron.

Yes, I'm more than serious.

I'm Pro-WYOMING 1000%...this is where he can make his mark, not by heading to some football factory school where he blends in indistinguishable from everyone else.

This is about a cause, a crusade, a climb back to relevance, this is about making your mark, standing tall and proudly wearing the Steamboat logo.

This is about courage, this is about conviction.

This is about Wyoming Cowboys Football.

Get on board the train -- or you're dead to me.
HAHA. I am the most Brown and Gold Glasses, Cool Aid drink Cowboy tool bag on this website you douche. I would give ol lefty for the Cowboys to be more than a punching bag. But I am absolutely NOT going to vilify a young man for making a choice to do what's best for him. Bohl is going turn this program around, not Tevis Bartlett. Yes absolutely I want him in Brown and Gold but if he chooses somewhere else, good on him. Just because he is taking advantage of a situation you never have doesn't make him a coward. It doesn't mean he lacks conviction. It means he sees a better opportunity to achieve goals that he may never get here.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
What?
I've read it in at least 8-10 articles over his career, On the UW site it just says " Smith was also recruited by New Mexico State, Oregon State and San Jose State. He is pursuing a degree in communications at UW. " I recall one of his interview articles stating that Oregon State was interested in him defensively but his heart was set on being a QB.

I'll find it sometime just let me look around and see where it was.

I think you are confusing Brett and Thompson.
Thompson was offered by Washington to play safety but he wanted to play QB.

Brett was recruited by Oregon State but they went with Mannion that year so they never offered.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote:Well said doc. No one will probably ever know his name if he goes elsewhere. Here, he can be remembered as the local boy taking the team to new heights
Where is the inspiration in going to Oregon?

Where is the story?

Where is the cause, the crusade I talk about?

Perhaps I'm selfish...I lived in Colorado for 10 years and most of them were with an eye on moving to Wyoming someday.

Mission accomplished.

I came here because I wanted to come here, and had the luxury and independence to live in any 'nicer state' in the country.

To me there IS NO NICER STATE...this is it.

Stay here and help to re-ignite the state flame...or head to Eugene?

I cannot believe this is even debatable.

Wyoming.

Today.

Tomorrow.

Forever.
Last edited by DocHolliday on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.