Tevis Bartlett Update

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote:ItsuckstobeACS, am I the only one finding your mockery of ACS in your handle ironic considering your attacks on Dino? And beaverpoke, I believe you have the record for fights with other people.

If the odds play out, tevis won't ever be in the NFL. Would you rather have been just another player on a Stanford team that no one will remember or someone who will be remembered by his home state? The chances of him being a standout are better at Wyoming. Again, not saying he couldn't at Stanford or Oregon
His name is "It sucks to be a CSU ram" Not "It sucks to be ACS".

And yes, I have been in quite a few arguments on here, but they were always related to Wyomings football or basketball play. Where Dino goes insane on people spouting this "WYO OR NOTHING" crap and attacks 18 year old kids for choosing SEC and Pac12 programs over us. He gets extremely personal with his attacks to anyone who disagrees with him in the slightest. There is me who will speak my mind on certain topics, then there is just being a straight up ass hole to people. I don't do that.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

Haha! My bad. This is what I see
W-Y, Until I Die!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I need that app. What is it.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Tapatalk. It's pretty good but I can't see the twitter posts those guys embed. Looked all over settings to find something to fix it
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

DocHolliday wrote:
ProudWYOAlum wrote:
J-Rod wrote:The only consistent in recruiting is inconsistency. We're talking about 17-year old's...nobody truly knows what is going on inside of their heads, or what their motivations are.

And just because a player is the best recruit in the state doesn't mean he'll stay home. Even Power-5 schools lose top recruits in their own state. For example, the top recruit in the state of Washington for the class of 2015 is a 4-Star, Top-10 rated QB who is headed to.........Washington? Nope. Washington State? Wrong again.....he is headed for Boise State. Go figure. Expect the unexpected in recruiting.

That's not say Tevis won't go to UW, only that even Alabama could lose the top kid in their state to someone else.
CU and CSU lose the top 4-5 kids in their home state every year.
I don't care about CU nor CSU.

I care about WYOMING.

And in this sparsely populated state, when we get a talent like Bartlett?

He stays.

Period.
Let's be realistic and respectful here.

A University of Wyoming diploma does not equal a Stanford diploma. If anything at all goes wrong on the way to the NFL for a particularly bright student-athlete, the quality of the diploma earned will be what matters most in the end. I also think he would be crazy to walk away from an offer from someplace like Northwestern, UT-Austin, or even Florida--and we would be disrespectful to expect him to.

When we start talking about places like Stanford, the AP or BCS rankings become less important relative to things like the U.S. News and World Report rankings than is usually the case when Wyoming is trying to out-recruit another higher-profile football program.

We also have the same advantage over some of our new conference foes, if we use it. No one in their right mind would pick a BS Univ, UNLV, or Fresno State diploma over one from Wyoming, New Mexico, or CSU.

There are places that a Stanford degree can take a person that are much less accessable with a Wyoming degree in much the same way that a Wyoming degree can take a student places that a Chadron State or Boise State degree does not do as easily.

I cannot begrudge anyone who takes a scholarship to a school like Stanford.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

laxwyo wrote:If the odds play out, tevis won't ever be in the NFL. Would you rather have been just another player on a Stanford team that no one will remember or someone who will be remembered by his home state? The chances of him being a standout are better at Wyoming. Again, not saying he couldn't at Stanford or Oregon
Although I have seen something about Stanford being out of scholarships, if a kid goes to Stanford, the post-college opportunities are so much greater than Wyoming if the NFL does not work out even if that player is not a standout that no one should begrudge a Wyoming kid those kinds of opportunities. No one is confusing the North Platte Valley for Silicon Valley anytime soon.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

One guy is here...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kdwrightuwyo wrote:One guy is here...
Lol...

But to add on to the point of that, let's say that he could go to Stanford and play football as an average Pac12 player, but he also gets that Stanford degree. He has all of California to start his career. There are numerous cities and towns there to get a great job. If he goes to Wyo, his options are much fewer. Sad reality for us Wyoming folk.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:One guy is here...
Lol...

But to add on to the point of that, let's say that he could go to Stanford and play football as an average Pac12 player, but he also gets that Stanford degree. He has all of California to start his career. There are numerous cities and towns there to get a great job. If he goes to Wyo, his options are much fewer. Sad reality for us Wyoming folk.
Some people would rather take a lower paying job to stay in Wyoming. I did and I have never regretted it. The cost of housing and living is much less here, less traffic and congestion, very little commute, better scenery, and the Wyoming Cowboys are here. People have different values about what they want out of life.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I agree about Stanford degree. However, we will never be anything with this attitude. If we, alumni and die hard fans, don't change our mindset that Wyoming is the only place to play, we will always lose our best players to other schools. This "that's great Timmy, you got a real scholarship offer" is kind of sickening. Our kids will never dream of playing for the brown and gold. They'll only use it as a backup plan
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WYCowboy wrote:Some people would rather take a lower paying job to stay in Wyoming. I did and I have never regretted it. The cost of housing and living is much less here, less traffic and congestion, very little commute, better scenery, and the Wyoming Cowboys are here. People have different values about what they want out of life.
There's a lot to weigh for sure, and for some degrees it doesn't make nearly as much sense to leave Wyoming. Meanwhile, for others - you're likely not staying in Wyoming anyway because it just doesn't have opportunities in certain industries.

I've had job offers for almost twice as much as I currently make that would mean moving to Seattle or California. Nope. I love this area of the world, and although I'm obviously no longer in Wyoming, I'm still in the Rockies.

Anyway, my comment earlier was that it's easy to understand why somebody would be more than happy to get a degree at Stanford, even if they were coming back to Wyoming after. It's all about what priorities you have in life...

Now, if you seriously feel that you have what it takes for an NFL career and you're a 3-star prospect, I'd go to Wyoming over Stanford, because chances are you're way more likely to get to highlight your skill and talent.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 238 times

WYCowboy wrote:
Some people would rather take a lower paying job to stay in Wyoming. I did and I have never regretted it. The cost of housing and living is much less here, less traffic and congestion, very little commute, better scenery, and the Wyoming Cowboys are here. People have different values about what they want out of life.
Absolutely agree. I also took a lower paying job for the ability to come back to Wyoming and am very glad that I did so. Living in Houston and making big bucks just isn't worth it to me.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:Some people would rather take a lower paying job to stay in Wyoming. I did and I have never regretted it. The cost of housing and living is much less here, less traffic and congestion, very little commute, better scenery, and the Wyoming Cowboys are here. People have different values about what they want out of life.
There's a lot to weigh for sure, and for some degrees it doesn't make nearly as much sense to leave Wyoming. Meanwhile, for others - you're likely not staying in Wyoming anyway because it just doesn't have opportunities in certain industries.

I've had job offers for almost twice as much as I currently make that would mean moving to Seattle or California. Nope. I love this area of the world, and although I'm obviously no longer in Wyoming, I'm still in the Rockies.

Anyway, my comment earlier was that it's easy to understand why somebody would be more than happy to get a degree at Stanford, even if they were coming back to Wyoming after. It's all about what priorities you have in life...

Now, if you seriously feel that you have what it takes for an NFL career and you're a 3-star prospect, I'd go to Wyoming over Stanford, because chances are you're way more likely to get to highlight your skill and talent.

I disagree about what you said about going to Wyo to highlight yourself to get to the NFL.

Did Matt Cassell even start at USC? Now he has been in the NFL for years. Brett Smith broke every record at Wyo and got cut 3 days into his rookie mini camp.

You get the benefit of the doubt when you wear a Pac12 or SEC jersey compared to a Wyoming one.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:

I disagree about what you said about going to Wyo to highlight yourself to get to the NFL.

Did Matt Cassell even start at USC? Now he has been in the NFL for years. Brett Smith broke every record at Wyo and got cut 3 days into his rookie mini camp.

You get the benefit of the doubt when you wear a Pac12 or SEC jersey compared to a Wyoming one.
Running the spread offense is what hurt Brett at rookie mini camp. Doesn't take away from the fact he is a very good QB. A good enough QB to get a chance with Montreal after declaring after his junior year.

Matt Cassell is a unique case. The only time you can say something like that happened to a backup QB at any school, not just a Pac12 school. Very rare.
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

The NFL doesn't give a benefit of the doubt no matter where you went to school. If you perform and have the talent to be there, they will find you.

Brett didn't impress in rookie mini camp. Really doubt the TB coaches cared where he went to college.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

My point is that it is ridiculous to think that a kid who plays at wyoming has a better shot of going pro than a kid playing at stanford or oregon.

If the way to the NFL was through Wyo or CSU or any other MWC team, kids would be coming here in droves, not to Oregon Stanford and Florida.

You guys talk about him like he has the chance to go pro and be a standout. The best place for him to do that is at CU. He will stick out at CU, and be close to home, and play against Pac12 competition so people would know he is legit.

If he plays at Wyo, he is another Brett or ACS. Great against smaller competition with a combined 3 days of NFL experience. Where as these Pac12 schools send players to the NFL on a regular basis.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Bohl put players in the NFL at NDSU....sure there may be some positives to playing at a higher level, but at the end of the day Tevis will or will not make it to the pros based on his development.. And if Bohl is all he's cracked up to be, he'll coach Tevis as well as anyone can.

I say sell Wyoming's advantages. After 2014, a lot of starters/lettermen will graduate. Wyoming is low on talent and will have space open...tell the kid he'll start right away. Who the f-word cares, this team needs great talent and nobody is expecting an access bowl victory in year #2. I have no problem with guaranteeing Tevis playing time, he'd probably start anyway.

No matter how flashy or awesome these P5 schools are, at the end of the day the non-P5 schools can always hang playing time card above them. Like it or not, Tevis might never start at Oregon or Stanford....those schools get 4-Star/5-Star kids galore. Come to Wyoming, he'll be the face of Bohl's future in this program and a fan favorite.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:Bohl put players in the NFL at NDSU....sure there may be some positives to playing at a higher level, but at the end of the day Tevis will or will not make it to the pros based on his development.. And if Bohl is all he's cracked up to be, he'll coach Tevis as well as anyone can.

I say sell Wyoming's advantages. After 2014, a lot of starters/lettermen will graduate. Wyoming is low on talent and will have space open...tell the kid he'll start right away. Who the f-word cares, this team needs great talent and nobody is expecting an access bowl victory in year #2. I have no problem with guaranteeing Tevis playing time, he'd probably start anyway.

No matter how flashy or awesome these P5 schools are, at the end of the day the non-P5 schools can always hang playing time card above them. Like it or not, Tevis might never start at Oregon or Stanford....those schools get 4-Star/5-Star kids galore. Come to Wyoming, he'll be the face of Bohl's future in this program and a fan favorite.
Doc has holstered his gun...and sez he agrees with everything this guys sez.

Tevis Bartlett will be a POKE.

Doc....guarantees it.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

BeaverPoke wrote:My point is that it is ridiculous to think that a kid who plays at wyoming has a better shot of going pro than a kid playing at stanford or oregon.

If the way to the NFL was through Wyo or CSU or any other MWC team, kids would be coming here in droves, not to Oregon Stanford and Florida.

You guys talk about him like he has the chance to go pro and be a standout. The best place for him to do that is at CU. He will stick out at CU, and be close to home, and play against Pac12 competition so people would know he is legit.

If he plays at Wyo, he is another Brett or ACS. Great against smaller competition with a combined 3 days of NFL experience. Where as these Pac12 schools send players to the NFL on a regular basis.
Let's hope coach Bohl never takes you on a recruiting trip. You will have any prospect talked out of coming to Wyo in no time!
I'm good for 3!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

BeaverPoke wrote:My point is that it is ridiculous to think that a kid who plays at wyoming has a better shot of going pro than a kid playing at stanford or oregon.
That is not at all what I said. I said that a lower rated recruit potentially has a better chance to show what he's got at Wyoming. BIG difference.

At a school like Wyoming, a 3-star recruit is far more likely to get play time early. What does playing in games do? It gets you more experience and likely develops you faster than being buried on the depth chart. If you had untapped potential, you're going to show it a lot sooner. Not only that, the team has less skilled depth, so the coaches are more likely to use you a lot when you're the featured player, pushing you to the limit.

At Oregon or Stanford, you may not even get to see the field much until you're a junior or senior if you're a low-level (for them) recruit. You'll still be a bit raw, you're more likely to make mistakes when you finally get game time that assure that some younger 5-star recruit will get his shot more than you will.

Obviously the 4- and 5-star recruits are more likely to make the NFL. That's why they're rated higher to begin with. Are you not going to make the NFL because you're a 3-star recruit at a big program? No, that's not what I'm saying either... I'm saying your chances to get a big role on the team as a 3-star are hell of a lot higher at a smaller program, and having a big role is likely to accelerate your development.