Pokes and Chokes: Saluting the Military

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

A little later than usual but Pokes and Chokes is up... enjoy!!!

http://www.pokepride.com/news/pokes-and ... Az0lOZdohY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Actually, I would put the defensive secondary as a choke. Some really bad missed tackles and broken coverage throughout the game.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Wick being a "choke" has more to do with him running into 8 and 9 man fronts every play because Kirkegaard is an FCS quarterback.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

DVDA wrote:Wick being a "choke" has more to do with him running into 8 and 9 man fronts every play because Kirkegaard is an FCS quarterback.
Kirk won the game there. Air Force refused to take guys out of the box. That's not on Kirk or Wick.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:
DVDA wrote:Wick being a "choke" has more to do with him running into 8 and 9 man fronts every play because Kirkegaard is an FCS quarterback.
Kirk won the game there. Air Force refused to take guys out of the box. That's not on Kirk or Wick.
I'm not saying he played poorly. I'm saying his limitations as a quarterback are the reason the running game suffered.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

DVDA wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
I'm not saying he played poorly. I'm saying his limitations as a quarterback are the reason the running game suffered.
So whats next? He's such a poop QB that the secondary's blown coverages are his fault too? Gimme a break. It could have been Joe Montana back there and AF would still have loaded the box until we proved we could beat them. We are WAY too hard on Colby. This was his 4th start as a college QB in 5 seasons. Were 2-0. A month ago most people on this board would not have pegged us to be undefeated going to Oregon. Were ok.
Last edited by ItSucksToBeACSURam on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

DVDA wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
Even when Kirk was tearing the Falcons secondary up, their DC refused to take guys out of the box. Only so much 5 linemen can do against 7-8 guys in the box at any given time.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
DVDA wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
DVDA wrote:Wick being a "choke" has more to do with him running into 8 and man fronts every play because Kirkegaard is an FCS quarterback.
Kirk won the game there. Air Force refused to take guys out of the boxnumberss not on Kirk or Wick.
So whats next? He's such a poop QB that the secondary's blown coverages are his fault too? Gimme a break. It could have been Joe Montana back there and AF would still have loaded the box until we proved we could beat them. We are WAY too hard on Colby. This was his 4th start as a college QB in 5 seasons. Were 2-0. A month ago most people on this board would not have pegged us to be undefeated going to Oregon. Were ok.
Dude you're clueless, any decent Qb would've thrown up huge numbers on that defense. No deep safety coverage, no LB's dropping in coverage. Every pass was wide open ! Throw over the top and it's a Td every time. Throw the hitch and make the corner miss....td.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

mwc fan wrote:
DVDA wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
DVDA wrote:Wick being a "choke" has more to do with him running into 8 and man fronts every play because Kirkegaard is an FCS quarterback.
Kirk won the game there. Air Force refused to take guys out of the boxnumberss not on Kirk or Wick.
Dude you're clueless, any decent Qb would've thrown up huge numbers on that defense. No deep safety coverage, no LB's dropping in coverage. Every pass was wide open ! Throw over the top and it's a Td every time. Throw the hitch and make the corner miss....td.
He threw for 282 yards in an offense not predicated on the pass. One week after only throwing for 92 yards.

And really? TD's over the top every throw, get out of here. I was at the game, there weren't open receivers on every play. The passes he needed to make (the ones called), he made.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:there weren't open receivers on every play. The passes he needed to make (the ones called), he made.
There were a lot of open receivers, You can't stack the box with 6-8 and not have open receivers.

I tend to agree that a better QB would have put up a lot more numbers, The two passes that were deep routes and solid one was slightly over thrown which is why Rufran wasn't able to stay on his feet to score.

That said he didn't make any mistakes and that is the most important part when you don't have all the tools physically you have to be sound mentally and he was good in that department.

We'll see how he builds going forward, Now had he played all game like he played in the last 2 min drive we put up 35+ on them. Air Force didn't have to abandon stacking the box because he didn't make them pay for it until the final drive. He has to be able to make a defense pay for stacking the box in the first quarter to open up the run game.
Last edited by Wyo2dal on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:I tend to agree that a better QB would have put up a lot more numbers, The two passes that were deep routes and solid one was slightly over thrown which is why Rufran wasn't able to stay on his feet to score.

That said he didn't make any mistakes and that is the most important part when you don't have all the tools physically you have to be sound mentally and he was good in that department.

We'll see how he builds going forward, Now had he played all game like he played in the last 2 min drive we put up 35 on them. Air Force didn't have to abandon stacking the box because he didn't make them pay for it until the final drive. He has to be able to make a defense pay for stacking the box in the first quarter to open up the run game.
Did you ever think that the play calling was different in the 2 minute offense versus the 58 minutes prior....
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Wyo2dal wrote:I tend to agree that a better QB would have put up a lot more numbers, The two passes that were deep routes and solid one was slightly over thrown which is why Rufran wasn't able to stay on his feet to score.

We'll see how he builds going forward, Now had he played all game like he played in the last 2 min drive we put up 35 on them. Air Force didn't have to abandon stacking the box because he didn't make them pay for it until the final drive. He has to be able to make a defense pay for stacking the box in the first quarter to open up the run game.
Did you ever think that the play calling was different in the 2 minute offense versus the 58 minutes prior....
That doesn't even make any sense, Look you can be the cheering section for him.

I'll give him his due he had a solid 5-7 mins during the entire game and that is why so far this season we are playing from behind. Can he get better sure as he gets more time on the field and more confidence from winning but I'm not going to start celebrating the next great QB in UW history.
MedievalPoke
Buckaroo

Watching the ESPN replay it sure seemed like Kirk didn't have a lot of time. I also saw pretty good coverage for the most part...every pass was wide open? Even the 1st nice 41 yard pass to Ruf was in pretty nice coverage 1v1. Sure Dom seemed to stumble on the second one, but I think AF played pretty good with men on an island.

Having the O-line give up wide open linebacker blitzes and Defensive end rushes was definitely not on the QB.

THAT is the real problem with this offense right now.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:

That doesn't even make any sense, Look you can be the cheering section for him.

I'll give him his due he had a solid 5-7 mins during the entire game and that is why so far this season we are playing from behind. Can he get better sure as he gets more time on the field and more confidence from winning but I'm not going to start celebrating the next great QB in UW history.
It doesn't make sense that the play calling changes in the 2 minute drill....They called 7 pass plays on that drive. They didnt call more than 4 on any other drive in the game...That seems different to me...Its a different set of play calls, a different mind set.

And I am not being a cheerleader. I am as hard on him as anyone else when he stinks it up. Yesterday he didnt stink it up. He is the reason we won. Our defense has a ton of bend-and-dont-break and kept us in it but Colby led that drive, he deserves credit for it.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

MedievalPoke wrote:Watching the ESPN replay it sure seemed like Kirk didn't have a lot of time. I also saw pretty good coverage for the most part...every pass was wide open? Even the 1st nice 41 yard pass to Ruf was in pretty nice coverage 1v1. Sure Dom seemed to stumble on the second one, but I think AF played pretty good with men on an island.

Having the O-line give up wide open linebacker blitzes and Defensive end rushes was definitely not on the QB.

AFAs coverage was way softer than ours, pretty much the entire game. Our coverage got significantly better by the second half, besides just one or two passes. Mainly because we were set for wishbone D at the beginning, and they surprised us with some passes. We changed things up and Pearson couldn't connect to anything.

That's Defense for you. A team surprises you with something you don't expect, it takes a few drives to figures it out and change your D gameplan. WYO did great, I thought in that regard.
MedievalPoke
Buckaroo

kansasCowboy wrote:
MedievalPoke wrote: That's Defense for you. A team surprises you with something you don't expect, it takes a few drives to figures it out and change your D gameplan. WYO did great, I thought in that regard.
After the initial couple of drives WYO did far better on the defense. However, up until the final drive there was far too much penetration allowed by the offensive line (and even there Colby was knocked around a bit). I think that Colby is not a world beater, but he can be a good fit in the offense if (and that is a big if from what I saw and the the replay) the offensive line protects better.

The 8 or 9 in the box can be beaten by wheel routes, swing passes, flat routes, etc IF the QB can drop and find the receiver. If there is a blitzing MLB or Defensive End in his face that ability drops considerably unless that QB has great ability to avoid the rush. I think we all agree that is not Kirk.

In my opinion what the Pokes need is a far more cohesive and stout Offensive line.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

MedievalPoke wrote:Watching the ESPN replay it sure seemed like Kirk didn't have a lot of time. I also saw pretty good coverage for the most part...every pass was wide open? Even the 1st nice 40 yard er to Ruf was in pretty nice coverage 1v1. Sure Dom seemed to stumble on the second one, but I think AF played pretty good with men on an island.

O line didn't allow a sack. Backs picked up the blitzes perfectly except one play the back got caught looking and Kolby was hit after the throw. Now the Oline cant block 9 on the run every down successfully so you gotta throw consistantly which was the problem until the final drive. That being said Brett would get his head ripped off every year so you can hardly complain about last night's pass protection.
MedievalPoke
Buckaroo

mwc fan wrote:O line didn't allow a sack. Backs picked up the blitzes perfectly except one play the back got caught looking and Kolby was hit after the throw. Now the Oline cant block 9 on the run every down successfully so you gotta throw consistantly which was the problem until the final drive. That being said Brett would get his head ripped off every year so you can hardly complain about last night's pass protection.
No sacks but a lot of hits on Colby. More on the replay today (I was perhaps a bit too...juiced...to notice all of them before...) He was hurried a lot on throws, hurried to the point of not letting crosses open up or routes develop. Sure, that means the running game will be stymied, but it should mean that receivers come open. Either the receivers were slouches or the coverage was great...or the offensive line (plus blocking back) was letting someone through free. Given that even the ESPN guys were talking about Colby being hit a lot means to me that the last was likely the culprit.

Still, to be honest, he had close to 300 yards, 2 tds, no sacks, and we won the game. Don't think I am all negative here, but the glaring bit was the pass blocking for me. But then, I teach History here at Wyoming, what do I know?
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

It was different because it had to be. That's what happens when you're behind at the end of the game. The coaching staff waited until they had to make a change because they clearly don't trust Kirkegaard for good reason. He's not a good quarterback. I'm happy that he played smart and stuck with the system, but everyone needs to quit kissing his ass for the way he ended the game. The reason they were getting shut down by a below average Air Force defense is because the quarterback wasn't/isn't capable of exploiting 8 and 9 man boxes. He's going to hold this team back for the rest of the year just like he did last night.

*Edit: I'm not blaming only Kirkegaard, he's just the subject of this post. The offensive line will have an equal effect on holding this team back.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

lol...

when will we get over this qb crap... every year.

if there was a better qb on the roster... he would be playing. Ive said it before... the most important attribute for a quarterback is his brain... not his legs, not his arm. the best brain on our team is kolby. not thorton, not Stratton, not young, not fort, not smith.

the difference in game 1 through 2 for kirk was amazing.

For people that want blow outs, it wasn't our quarterback that failed yesterday. we are not a spread offense anymore, we want to hold teams to low scores, and beat the piss out of them. in two games we have given up 25 points, cutting our game average from last year by more than half. get used to 4th quarter games... this is what we hired, this is what cowboy tough has always been about. and truthfully... if air force plays like they did yesterday, they will win some games. they might beat csu and new mexico.

brett is gone... Kaptain Colby Jack is the starter! I loved his game yesterday.

I am starting to like our qb honestly.