Are we there?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Does Bohl have this team believing in themselves or what? Wyoming has been decimated by injuries, but that was never an excuse for them. We have a QB who is 5th string last year and last night 2 freshman running backs demolished a defense. Offensive line is missing starters, d-line was using a 200lbs d-end but still found a way into the backfield for a sack. Secondary and linebackers are all missing, but it shows that the staff's mentality is starting to stick to the team.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. I am looking forward to Friday as this game was huge confidence boost no last second win or last second lost the emotional high can carry them. Fill the War!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Last night was physically and emotionally draining (if just for the elation). So Bohl must be cautious of a letdown going into Friday. This will test the psychology skills of Bohl. How will he keep the team focused and confident but not too confident (like FSU apparently was)? We will know by late Friday night.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

Are we where? Near or in the basement like the last 15+ years? Yeah. Hope Bohl can get us decent in a few years.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I like how the ESPN guys actually talked about this when they were showing pictures from Bohl's 3 Championships and said something like "Wyoming's got a ways to go still, but with this guy, they will win at the very least the Mountain West in a few years."

It wasn't a "could" or "might." It was "will."
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I like how the ESPN guys actually talked about this when they were showing pictures from Bohl's 3 Championships and said something like "Wyoming's got a ways to go still, but with this guy, they will win at the very least the Mountain West in a few years."

I think outsiders have had more faith in him as a coach than the majority of the Wyoming fan base. I guess that's one thing that's bugged me since I started posting here. Nobody believes.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
gbpoke
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:I like how the ESPN guys actually talked about this when they were showing pictures from Bohl's 3 Championships and said something like "Wyoming's got a ways to go still, but with this guy, they will win at the very least the Mountain West in a few years."

I think outsiders have had more faith in him as a coach than the majority of the Wyoming fan base. I guess that's one thing that's bugged me since I started posting here. Nobody believes.
I don't think it's that nobody believes that we can be a good to great program. I think it's more like we're cautiously optimistic, waiting to see a little proof before we fully commit. The last two coaches we've had were dubbed as the savior of Cowboy football and both were major disappointments in the long run. Sure they both went to and won a bowl game but it seems that most teams that can walk and chew gum these days are able to do that.
Joe Glenn won national championships at Montana and DC was the hottest offensive coordinator in the country when Wyoming hired him. Both did a few nice things but nothing to bring back the glory days of Cowboy football.
Bohl has a great pedigree of winning at the FCS level with 3 national championship and he talks a great game, but until we see steady improvement, I think a lot of us are hoping for the best and holding our collective breaths.
One encouraging thing that I've seen though is that the Pokes aren't quiting, whereas last year they would've mailed it in by now.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

gbpoke wrote: I don't think it's that nobody believes that we can be a good to great program. I think it's more like we're cautiously optimistic, waiting to see a little proof before we fully commit. The last two coaches we've had were dubbed as the savior of Cowboy football and both were major disappointments in the long run. Sure they both went to and won a bowl game but it seems that most teams that can walk and chew gum these days are able to do that.
Joe Glenn won national championships at Montana and DC was the hottest offensive coordinator in the country when Wyoming hired him. Both did a few nice things but nothing to bring back the glory days of Cowboy football.
Bohl has a great pedigree of winning at the FCS level with 3 national championship and he talks a great game, but until we see steady improvement, I think a lot of us are hoping for the best and holding our collective breaths.
One encouraging thing that I've seen though is that the Pokes aren't quiting, whereas last year they would've mailed it in by now.
All too true. Go search these forums....a lot of people claimed DC had turned the corner after last season's total decimation of Air Force. Things change quickly around here. Consistency is hard to prove, can't make any judgement for a few years. Therefore, fans naturally revert to the norm around Laramie the last 15 years or so.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

gbpoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

I don't think it's that nobody believes that we can be a good to great program. I think it's more like we're cautiously optimistic, waiting to see a little proof before we fully commit. The last two coaches we've had were dubbed as the savior of Cowboy football and both were major disappointments in the long run. Sure they both went to and won a bowl game but it seems that most teams that can walk and chew gum these days are able to do that.
Excellent post, gbpoke! :thumb: :thumb:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Bohl's the right guy. At least I hope he is the right guy.

I was hoping Christensen was the right guy. At times he seemed liked it. He was a dick though and I hated the way he represented the State. If he had won 10-12 games a year, I wouldn't have really cared how he represented the Cowboys and the state.

Glenn was flat out awesome. He could have done some really great stuff if he had figured out how to actually recruit talent. He did great with previous coaches recruiting. Some say he was loyal to an end. But IMHO, they couldn't find the talent, and they could only moderately develop it. It definetely could get the Pokes up for a few games a year though. MWC coaches picked up on it and kicked our asses.

Vic --- ugh....

Going back further than that is too much. We are talking about 15 years and 4 coaches. Every Wyoming fan deserves to be estatic about wins and torn up over losses. We have experienced alot of losing over the last 15 years.

Bohl hasn't even been here a year yet. He was hired on around 11 months ago. During this season we have had some heart attack wins and some nasty losses. Now we have a win we can hang our hats on. I don't know how the rest of the season will go. I expect we will probably lose the rest of the games. But I will be there watching anyways. Maybe, just maybe, another game will turn into one like yesterdays.

We aren't anywhere right now. Painfully, after the end of the month, we have to wait for 9 more months before we know what the 2015 team looks like. In the mean time we may become bowl eligable. I'd like that. We will get somewhere and I look forward to where that is.

So where are we at? We have a team with a bunch of starters that are injured. We have a few of Bohl recruits really making some noise at times in his system. We can slow down the run like we couldn't the last few years. We don't have a pass defense (and haven't in years).

We got 2 interceptions the other night. We have started getting a sack or two in the last few games.

The offense is starting to adjust around Colby. He can pass some short routes. He is hitting some pass screens. That is opening up the running game. That is opening up the passing game. I don't think play calling changed much against CSU and Fresno but I started to see things click in the second half of the CSU game and take off against Fresno. The reads were different and Colby had a bit of time.

This system will work with the right players. Its really exciting to see what the Bohl recruits can do with these injuries (I assume they are the right players - looking at you Hill, etc).

Earlier on in the season I thought it would be great if we had Brett Smith. I don't think so now. It would be great if Colby were a true freshman - he is really starting to click and know where his strenghts and weaknessess are. The systems are far too different from each other to convert a 3 year qb into it and then to lose him. Colby is probably giving us a slight advantage here. Truth is - we will never know.

So are we there? Nah. The better question to ask is where are we going? The next game against USU should help us know that question a bit better.

In the mean time - its back to ups and downs and 15 years of the same. Cowboy fans are tough.

Go Pokes!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wasn't Glenn on the cover of Sports Illustrated dubbed as the savior of either Penn State or Alabama?

DC, was going to be the next Urban Meyer.
Some thought he was going to come in here for 3 seasons, wreck the MWC and take a job in the Pac12 or Big12.

Bohl?
What difference is he between Glenn and DC at those points?

That is why there is not much belief on here.

But, man that game was insane. Hill wrecked Fresno.
I still cannot believe that game went the way it did.

Are we there? As in, Cowboy Tough, at the top?
Hell no. f-word no.
CSU just poop all over us.
Our QB totally missed a game winning pass in the endzone. Pokes absolutely SHOULD be 5-4.

When we are "there" we won't have QBs doing that. We will be winning those games and not getting blown out in the Border War.

Now, can we make huge strides in getting there the rest of this season?

ABSOLUTELY!

3 games left to win 2, to play 1 more.

If we are getting close to being "there" we beat Boise or USU.

Win out, including a bowl game (over Utah PLEASE) then expectations are going to be through the roof next year.
And Coffman and the QBs will have some pressure.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

WyoBrandX wrote:Earlier on in the season I thought it would be great if we had Brett Smith. I don't think so now. It would be great if Colby were a true freshman - he is really starting to click and know where his strenghts and weaknessess are. The systems are far too different from each other to convert a 3 year qb into it and then to lose him. Colby is probably giving us a slight advantage here. Truth is - we will never know.
It was a good post until you said that. :lol:
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 133 times

joshvanklomp wrote: I think outsiders have had more faith in him as a coach than the majority of the Wyoming fan base. I guess that's one thing that's bugged me since I started posting here. Nobody believes.
Good heavens, get off of it. For hell's sake, you have your panties in a wad because people are generally pleased with the coaching hire and overall direction of the program but aren't claiming Bohl is the second coming of Knute Rockne?

You realize that at this level, you need one hell of a lot more than 1 head coach to be successful, right? It doesn't seem that you can grasp this. Bohl will not succeed unless he has the support necessary to do so. To date, for over the past decade, we haven't been able to put together that right mix. I don't believe for a second that all of VK, Glenn, and DC were bad coaches; at least bad enough to fail to the level they did. There are other problems at WYO other than HC. Skepticism remains as to whether all holes are plugged or if just the HC hole is plugged. Get it?

Sheesh.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

joshvanklomp wrote:

You need to go away...go back to rooting for the gophers. You have proven over and over again, you are not a Wyoming fan, but a Craig Bohl fan, which is fine, but we are about Wyoming here. Maybe you should have a pillowcase made with Bohl's picture on it you can snuggle up with at night.

Despite a great game last Saturday, Craig Bohl has accomplished basically nothing at UW at this point. And that is simply a fact, that isn't saying anything about the future, or what we all believe will happen down the road. We will "believe" when it happens - such is the life of a Wyoming fan.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 4 times

joshvanklomp wrote:

LOL. Put poop in one hand, and belief in the other. Tell me which fills up first.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:Wasn't Glenn on the cover of Sports Illustrated dubbed as the savior of either Penn State or Alabama?

DC, was going to be the next Urban Meyer.
Some thought he was going to come in here for 3 seasons, wreck the MWC and take a job in the Pac12 or Big12.

Bohl?
What difference is he between Glenn and DC at those points?

That is why there is not much belief on here.

But, man that game was insane. Hill wrecked Fresno.
I still cannot believe that game went the way it did.

Are we there? As in, Cowboy Tough, at the top?
Hell no. f-word no.
CSU just poop all over us.
Our QB totally missed a game winning pass in the endzone. Pokes absolutely SHOULD be 5-4.

When we are "there" we won't have QBs doing that. We will be winning those games and not getting blown out in the Border War.

Now, can we make huge strides in getting there the rest of this season?

ABSOLUTELY!

3 games left to win 2, to play 1 more.

If we are getting close to being "there" we beat Boise or USU.

Win out, including a bowl game (over Utah PLEASE) then expectations are going to be through the roof next year.
And Coffman and the QBs will have some pressure.

:thumb:
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Brew_Poke wrote:Are we where? Near or in the basement like the last 15+ years? Yeah. Hope Bohl can get us decent in a few years.

Pretty much this.

Great game though. Very happy for Hill, Tyran Finley (why hasn't he played more?), and the rest of the Cowboys. They only get so many chances to put on the pads and compete for real and a win like this is memorable.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Hopefully whoever Finley pissed off can't keep him off the field any longer. Burns, Finley, and Priester are three pretty decent corners. Finley has the best ball skills of any DB we've had in a while.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LasCrucesPoke wrote:Hopefully whoever Finley pissed off can't keep him off the field any longer. Burns, Finley, and Priester are three pretty decent corners. Finley has the best ball skills of any DB we've had in a while.

I was wondering about kick returner too. Wasn't he known as an impact returner at JC and in camp before his injury last year?

Priester needs a couple of years of college nutrition and weightlifting, but the effort is there.

Still mystified how DeAndre Jones ever played a down, much less started.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote: I think outsiders have had more faith in him as a coach than the majority of the Wyoming fan base. I guess that's one thing that's bugged me since I started posting here. Nobody believes.
Good heavens, get off of it. For hell's sake, you have your panties in a wad because people are generally pleased with the coaching hire and overall direction of the program but aren't claiming Bohl is the second coming of Knute Rockne?

You realize that at this level, you need one hell of a lot more than 1 head coach to be successful, right? It doesn't seem that you can grasp this. Bohl will not succeed unless he has the support necessary to do so. To date, for over the past decade, we haven't been able to put together that right mix. I don't believe for a second that all of VK, Glenn, and DC were bad coaches; at least bad enough to fail to the level they did. There are other problems at WYO other than HC. Skepticism remains as to whether all holes are plugged or if just the HC hole is plugged. Get it?

Sheesh.
McPeachy wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

You need to go away...go back to rooting for the gophers. You have proven over and over again, you are not a Wyoming fan, but a Craig Bohl fan, which is fine, but we are about Wyoming here. Maybe you should have a pillowcase made with Bohl's picture on it you can snuggle up with at night.

Despite a great game last Saturday, Craig Bohl has accomplished basically nothing at UW at this point. And that is simply a fact, that isn't saying anything about the future, or what we all believe will happen down the road. We will "believe" when it happens - such is the life of a Wyoming fan.
Brew_Poke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

LOL. Put poop in one hand, and belief in the other. Tell me which fills up first.
Stay classy, Wyoming.

It's a pretty sad program when you can't even be optimistic about the future without being shot down and insulted like this, and be told who you can or can't root for.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

To be fair you've done your share of insulting. And God I hate when people say stay classy. It's been ten years, come up with something else. And this from someone who has anchorman memorized.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.