Lobos Game, what's with the crickets chirping?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Most of the years I've watched Pokes Basketball there has always been a leader in the student section that got people motivated and coordinated and it seems that is missing and as long as it's missing it will never be as loud as it once was.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

This is from a student who was at the game, and in the student section. The atmosphere was A+ from the 4 minute mark left in regulation to the end of the game. The other 36 minutes is a D for me. The students get an F. The lower section next to the court was a terrible design, and it is killing the atmosphere of the games. There were at a minimum 1500 students at that game and possibly close to 2000, but a total of about 250-300 were the only ones standing, cheering, or really doing anything until the very end of the game. With the lower section split from the top section in the student section non of the people up top care, they never chant anything, they never stand, and all they do is sit on their phones the whole time. The atmosphere was actually pretty poor when you consider the situation of a game for first place and 10,000 people on hand. The vast majority of students could care less at these games there's only a few that are involved and it is hard to get anything going. Even when a chant gets started the entire top section would not join in.

The fact that the only time it got loud was when we made a basket or the last couple of minutes of a game is pathetic, I was talking with many students in the lower section who all remarked at how poor the atmosphere was for such a game, and the fact that the only part of the student section who was consistently trying to get into the game was the lower part on the bleachers. The atmosphere should have been like the last few minutes the entire game, to say the atmosphere was fantastic would only be looking at those last few minutes and ignoring the silence of the other 85% of it.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

YankPoke wrote:This is from a student who was at the game, and in the student section. The atmosphere was A+ from the 4 minute mark left in regulation to the end of the game. The other 36 minutes is a D for me. The students get an F. The lower section next to the court was a terrible design, and it is killing the atmosphere of the games. There were at a minimum 1500 students at that game and possibly close to 2000, but a total of about 250-300 were the only ones standing, cheering, or really doing anything until the very end of the game. With the lower section split from the top section in the student section non of the people up top care, they never chant anything, they never stand, and all they do is sit on their phones the whole time. The atmosphere was actually pretty poor when you consider the situation of a game for first place and 10,000 people on hand. The vast majority of students could care less at these games there's only a few that are involved and it is hard to get anything going. Even when a chant gets started the entire top section would not join in.

The fact that the only time it got loud was when we made a basket or the last couple of minutes of a game is pathetic, I was talking with many students in the lower section who all remarked at how poor the atmosphere was for such a game, and the fact that the only part of the student section who was consistently trying to get into the game was the lower part on the bleachers. The atmosphere should have been like the last few minutes the entire game, to say the atmosphere was fantastic would only be looking at those last few minutes and ignoring the silence of the other 85% of it.
The bolded part is some of what us older fans are talking about. Back in the 80's the place was loud the ENTIRE game not just in little spurts here or there or at the very end. I also remember they had the male cheerleaders back then with giant mega phone tube things they would yell through to get the crowd going and get loud chants going. Not sure if they even do this anymore but that is probably part of it also as it seems there is no real person to lead anything like has already been stated.

I'm not complaining by any means as it is great the fans are starting to come back and we are winning basketball games again it is far better then what we had been having there for so long. Now we just need to take it back to the next level again .

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
YankPoke
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote:
YankPoke wrote:This is from a student who was at the game, and in the student section. The atmosphere was A+ from the 4 minute mark left in regulation to the end of the game. The other 36 minutes is a D for me. The students get an F. The lower section next to the court was a terrible design, and it is killing the atmosphere of the games. There were at a minimum 1500 students at that game and possibly close to 2000, but a total of about 250-300 were the only ones standing, cheering, or really doing anything until the very end of the game. With the lower section split from the top section in the student section non of the people up top care, they never chant anything, they never stand, and all they do is sit on their phones the whole time. The atmosphere was actually pretty poor when you consider the situation of a game for first place and 10,000 people on hand. The vast majority of students could care less at these games there's only a few that are involved and it is hard to get anything going. Even when a chant gets started the entire top section would not join in.

The bolded part is some of what us older fans are talking about. Back in the 80's the place was loud the ENTIRE game not just in little spurts here or there or at the very end. I also remember they had the male cheerleaders back then with giant mega phone tube things they would yell through to get the crowd going and get loud chants going. Not sure if they even do this anymore but that is probably part of it also as it seems there is no real person to lead anything like has already been stated.

I'm not complaining by any means as it is great the fans are starting to come back and we are winning basketball games again it is far better then what we had been having there for so long. Now we just need to take it back to the next level again .
+1 Agree with everything you said Seattle
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

The students back in the day were similar in comparison to USU these last few years.
But it is a growing process, the winning went away, the rowdiness went away. The winning is working it's way back in, and it will take time for the true rowdiness to get going again. I doubt you see a huge difference the rest of the year, even if we sellout for CSU.
Maybe in the next couple years if we continue winning.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The students can't get rowdy they would get kicked out by event staff. Uw has taken away the party environment for students by cracking down on drinking. The rowdy students are likely watching the games at the bar instead of showing up at the AA. Are they still giving breath tests at the dorms?

It's not like it was back in the day because students are treated like they go to school in Utah.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

USUs rowdiness is clean. And overall so was ours, with a few bad eggs that would come drunk.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

joshvanklomp wrote:
elfletcho wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:Not all the blame should be placed on the athletic department. For example, every fan should know the W-Y-O cheer yet absolutely nobody does it. Of course, it can be improved by doing it at a time when the crowd is more invested (media timeouts) and if the cheerleaders didn't have the W and the O facing up tunnels, but the fans (particularly season ticket holders in the lower bowl) suck at this specific cheer.
Those idiot cheerleaders only start the WYO chant WHEN WE HAVE THE BALL. Shut up and be quiet when we are running our offense. Get the cheers going on D. And to you complainers, it was quiet in December against Regis when there was 2000 of us there. It has been plenty loud the last month. The ESPN3 broadcast totally wiped out the crowd noise, especially at the end of the game.
The first 45 seconds of this seem to give a pretty good sampling of how loud it was there. Accurate?

At 41 seconds of that video you can barely hear the buzzer. It was really loud. The crowd was more quiet in the first half, but the last 10 minutes and then overtime was pretty loud when we were on D. I really think the AA is now more acoustically loud after they raised the court those 4-5 feet. At 10k it sounds as loud as it did with 13-15k back in the day.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

USUs rowdiness is clean. And overall so was ours, with a few bad eggs that would come drunk
You must have never been a student at UW with a statement like that...
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

cali2wyo wrote:
elfletcho wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:Not all the blame should be placed on the athletic department. For example, every fan should know the W-Y-O cheer yet absolutely nobody does it. Of course, it can be improved by doing it at a time when the crowd is more invested (media timeouts) and if the cheerleaders didn't have the W and the O facing up tunnels, but the fans (particularly season ticket holders in the lower bowl) suck at this specific cheer.
Those idiot cheerleaders only start the WYO chant WHEN WE HAVE THE BALL. Shut up and be quiet when we are running our offense. Get the cheers going on D. And to you complainers, it was quiet in December against Regis when there was 2000 of us there. It has been plenty loud the last month. The ESPN3 broadcast totally wiped out the crowd noise, especially at the end of the game.
I was referring to the WYO cheer before the game, I thought my post was self explanatory... My apologies.

I think it's common knowledge that the cheer team is incompetent
No problem missed that, my bad. I loved during the media time outs when the started playing commercials on the big boards. Thanks athletics department, that is exactly what I was missing from the home theater experience.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

YankPoke wrote:With the lower section split from the top section in the student section non of the people up top care, they never chant anything, they never stand, and all they do is sit on their phones the whole time. The atmosphere was actually pretty poor when you consider the situation of a game for first place and 10,000 people on hand. The vast majority of students could care less at these games there's only a few that are involved and it is hard to get anything going. Even when a chant gets started the entire top section would not join in.

Just a suggestion, but since the section split seems to be the reason between the rowdy and the silent, what if some of the rowdy were placed in the upper section to get that group going?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

YankPoke wrote:This is from a student who was at the game, and in the student section...
So are you to blame for the idiotic "this is our house" chant? I was embarrassed for a moment...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
YankPoke wrote:With the lower section split from the top section in the student section non of the people up top care, they never chant anything, they never stand, and all they do is sit on their phones the whole time. The atmosphere was actually pretty poor when you consider the situation of a game for first place and 10,000 people on hand. The vast majority of students could care less at these games there's only a few that are involved and it is hard to get anything going. Even when a chant gets started the entire top section would not join in.

Just a suggestion, but since the section split seems to be the reason between the rowdy and the silent, what if some of the rowdy were placed in the upper section to get that group going?
This coming from the guy who doesn't want empty seats in the lower bowl filled. Why should students who show up as soon as possible be moved to the back?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:This coming from the guy who doesn't want empty seats in the lower bowl filled. Why should students who show up as soon as possible be moved to the back?
I have never said I don't want seats to be filled. That is BS and you know it!

Do you want just the people up front engaged or the entire section?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:This coming from the guy who doesn't want empty seats in the lower bowl filled. Why should students who show up as soon as possible be moved to the back?
I have never said I don't want seats to be filled. That is BS and you know it!

Do you want just the people up front engaged or the entire section?
Lol I was giving ya crap.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:Pokes need a basketball barrel-man. Or preferably a barrel-women, with the implication there is nothing on her except the barrel.
I talked to him Friday night and he said he only gets the barrel out for the MWC tourney in L.V
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

First of all, wow, what a game! So proud of our guys for not giving in and fighting to the end.

That was one of the greatest games I have ever been to. I don't know what some of you are talking about. I thought it was loud as hell in there. It was not 15,000k+ loud, but it was plenty loud.

A lot of our fans are not used to having something to yell and scream about, they are still learning, they'll come around. Pretty soon it will be cool and popular to get crazy at the games. Give it time. I can see the start of something beautiful happening, though. What a great day it was to be a Cowboy!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

cali2wyo wrote:
YankPoke wrote:This is from a student who was at the game, and in the student section...
So are you to blame for the idiotic "this is our house" chant? I was embarrassed for a moment...
if the ticket nazis would allow me to sit up high, why sure, but they make me be silent like a mouse anymore
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

cali2wyo wrote:
What is wrong with that chant?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
What is wrong with that chant?
It's f-word stupid and it has no history. If you chant things that historically belong in the AA, the older fans will join your chants.

If you chant the mantra from some 19 year olds video game, you're going to be joined by the other thirty five nineteen year olds with that same video game, for about eight seconds until it peters out.

This student section is the worst in Wyoming history.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.